Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chronicles of Vaeltaja: In Search of the Great Wanderer - colorful open world grid-based blobber - now on Early Access

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I've just released a balancing update for the demo.

Changes:

Fallen party members are revived when resting at the farmer's house.
First bat encounter now only has 2-4 bats.
Changed loot in treasure chests to be more useful in the beginning.
After a certain point in both questlines merchant will have new equipment in his inventory (check before entering the Old Tower).
Warrior's, Hunter's, Mage's and Healer's rings will slightly raise certain stats.
Balanced enemy troops in the Old Tower.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I've received quite good feedback from the demo so far and some of it has inspired me to make some changes to the skill system. These changes won't be coming for the demo as I have to focus on developing the full game, but I thought that I share some information about it beforehand.

I've renamed 'Stats & Skills' menu to 'Character'. Stats and skills are still presented in the same way, but there are some changes to how skills work. Each class have two 'class skills', which are the first two skills in the skill list. For example Mage now has 'Warlock' and 'Wizard' skills and Hunter has 'Archer' and 'Survivalist'. These new 'class skills' determine what kind of spells and combat abilities character is able to learn. For example when improving 'Warlock' skill, it will unlock the ability to learn various elemental attack spells, while 'Wizard' skill grants ability to learn different kind of spells. While these new 'class skills' give access to spells and abilities, you still need to buy/learn them from various places.

Under these 'class skills' are listed the basic skills of the class. For example Mage still has skills like Staff, Robes, Magic Armor and so on, which determine what kind of equipment character can use. But there is one quite significant change to these basic skills: Now some of the classes have skills that were previously restricted to the main character. For example now Shadow has 'Lock Picking' skill and Hunter has 'Disarm Traps'. This means that instead of improving main character's 'Lock Picking' skill, you can spend those points to some other skill and improve Shadow's 'Lock Picking'.

These changes will provide much more variety when building your party and leveling up the characters and therefore add even more replay value. You can even try to find two Mages for your party and make one of them Wizard and the other Warlock, or stick with only one who is something in between.

I hope these changes will get you excited!

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
A QoL update released for the Chronicles of Vaeltaja's demo.
New Options:
- Full Screen
- Font change
- UI colour change
- Proper 'game over' screen

Patch Notes

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I've been re-working some enemy sprites:

Screenshot (630).png

Screenshot (622).png

Screenshot (626).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Looks great so far! I really like the outdoor areas with mountains, towers, etc.
Thanks, that's good to hear! I hope you'll find the game world as engaging as it looks, once released. :)
I will be sharing some info in the coming weeks about the release and some other stuff.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Here's a little teaser of one feature that has been asked few times since the beginning - side and back profiles for NPCs:

Screenshot (633).png
Screenshot (635).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
The demo will get two more updates which will bring the new sprites for enemies and NPCs. After the second update I will announce a little competition, so three lucky ones will win a Steam key for the release version, but more about that later. :)

Screenshot (637).png

Screenshot (638).png

Screenshot (639).png

Screenshot (640).png

Screenshot (641).png

Screenshot (647).png

Screenshot (648).png

Screenshot (642).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I found a wrong value in bats' stats in the Chronicles of Vaeltaja's demo, which invalidated all the previous balancing updates. This and certain other issues are now fixed. I also added some new sprites for some enemies and NPCs to add immersion.

Sorry for the inconvenience if the demo has felt way too tough in the beginning!

Patch notes: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2421440/view/3663164071059471134?l=english

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Small surprise update for the demo before the final update!

Patch notes:

- Updated bandit sprites to have animation when they walk in the forest
- Improved bandit battle animation slightly
- All the NPCs have now side and back sprites
- Changed bandit mobs, so Outlaws doesn't appear into battles too early

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Been a little bit quiet on this front, but that's just calm before the storm.

I've made a surprise update to the Chronicles of Vaeltaja's demo, which implements the new 'Stat and Skill' system that is more in line with old school RPGs. If you didn't like the old system, this just might be the game changer that you were hoping for.

Here are the details of the new system:

Stat and Skill system:

'Stats' have now a wider impact when building your characters and here's a little rundown how they work:

• Strength
    is important to characters who wield melee weapons, such as sword, axe or mace, but there is one exception, which is dagger. Strength increases physical damage directly, so it is important to Guide, Warrior and Knight.
  • Perception
    is important to Guide as it helps with finding secrets, but it also affects to some ranged battle techniques.
  • Stamina
    determines how much 'Hit Points' a character can have, but it there are some differences how it works between the character classes. With caster characters 'Hit Points' are gained in a more restrained manner, therefore Mages, Priests and Witches are physically more vulnerable than Warriors for example. Stamina also affects directly to the 'defense' value, so it is important stat to all classes.
  • Charisma
    affects how willingly people are going to share their troubles and secrets with you.
  • Intelligence
    determines how much 'Energy Points' characters can have, but just like with 'stamina' and 'hit points', there are some differences between classes. With classes dealing physical melee or ranged damage 'energy points' are gained in a more restrained manner. 'Energy points' are needed to cast spells or to use different battle techniques. Intelligence is important to all classes, but it also affects directly to effectiveness of spells, so it is the main stat for Mages, Priests and Witches.
  • Agility
    affects to ranged and dagger damage, defense, to some battle techniques and acting order in combat. It is important to Hunter, Shadow, Witch and Witch Hunter.
  • Luck
    affects little bit here and there.

Stats may also play part in some stat/skill checks in the release version of the game.

Here's how 'Skills' work:

• Each class have their own specific skill sets. First skill in the skill list of every character is the 'Class Skill', improving it will give access to stronger spells and techniques, and raises their effectiveness. Some classes, such as Mages and Priests, have actually two class skills. For example Mage has 'Warlock' and 'Wizard' class skills and they both have their own spells for Mage to learn - Warlock is specialized in elemental spells, while Wizard is focused on another kind of spells. Higher the 'Class Skill', the more powerful spells and techniques can be learned.
  • Caster classes can also have skills like 'Elemental Power' or 'Spirit Power* which raises the effectiveness of certain spells.
  • Weapon skills, such as 'Sword', 'Axe' and 'Bow', allow you to wield stronger weapons and it also raises the damage dealt with that certain weapon.
  • 'Armor', 'Robes', 'Magic Armor' and 'Shield' skills allow to wear better armor, robes, trinkets and shields.
  • There are also some 'Utility Skills' in the skill list, such as 'Lock Picking' and 'Speech'. These are the skills that can be used to interact with the game world. Before these were on restricted to the main character class Guide, but now other classes can improve certain 'Utility Skills' too. For example Shadow can improve 'Lock Picking' and try to open locked doors instead of the main character. Some of these 'Utility Skills' have no purpose in the demo, but will be used in the release version.
  • Spells and battle techniques doesn't appear in the skill list anymore, so their effectiveness is improved through 'Class Skills'. Spells and techniques are must still be bought from the merchant. Spells and battle techniques consume 'Energy Points'.

Patch notes at Steam

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
A small balancing update for the demo.

Patch Notes:
- Adjusted 'hit point' and 'energy point' formulas
- Adjusted the spell damage little bit weaker, so spells are not overpowered in the beginning
- Adjusted the amount of Stat and Skill points that the party has at the beginning
- Changed locations of two bat mobs in the Southern part of the Great Forest
- Tweaked first quest's Outlaw mob so that at least two Outlaws appears when battle starts
- Updated 'Gameplay_Instructions' and 'ReadMe' text files found in the demo's main folder
- Updated Merchant's gameplay tips
- Added butterflies in few spots in the forest
- Added one more Water of Life and Camping Gear to the party inventory
- Some minor balancing to Outlaws, Skeletons and Wraiths

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Some changes:
- Camping gear won't be consumable, so you only need to buy it once. But there's always a but... I think I'll add a slight chance for enemies to attack when camping.
- Using the camping gear will show picture (probably animated eventually), it's still a little bit wip, but gives the idea.

I'm also testing two new skills for all the characters to balance the character development:
- Resilience: every level for this skill adds 5 hit points to character.
- Channeling: every level for this skill adds 3 energy points.

campfire.png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
A new video showcasing some new stuff, such as day/night cycle, skill system, treasure digging etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom