Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chronicles of Vaeltaja: In Search of the Great Wanderer - colorful open world grid-based blobber - now on Early Access

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This looks cool, release when?

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Two new videos, this time much, much shorter. :)

First one showcases Vaeltaja's theme song by talented Eric Matyas (https://soundimage.org/).

Second one is 4 minutes of gameplay showcasing new battle backgrounds which change depending on the time of day and area that the party is exploring, so there will be lots of them in the release version. The video ends with animated camping screen. Twin Falls also has new background music.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
It's been a bit quiet on this front, but that's just because I've been so busy with the release build.
But here's little something to look forward to:

Screenshot (1030).png

Screenshot (1031).png

Screenshot (1032).png
Screenshot (1033).png

Screenshot (1053).png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like this is out on Early Access:

Why Early Access?​

“Because the scope of the game has grown bigger than I thought it would be and because of certain things that has happened in my personal life (such as my mother's death) during this year has slowed the development more than I expected. I'm also running out of budget because of these delays.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?​

“One year.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?​

“I'm planning to add more overworld areas, dungeons, rest of the story content, side-quests and secrets.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?​

“Early Access version contains story related quests, multiple overworld areas, three main dungeons and couple of optional dungeons, seven character classes, lots of equipment to improve characters and other items to help on your journey, lots of secrets to find and NPCs to interact with.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?​

“Yes, price will be gradually raised when new content and features are shipped.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?​

“I will communicate directly with the Community through the forum, read through all the feedback and respond to it, give news about updates and answer questions about the game.”

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Looks like this is out on Early Access:

Why Early Access?​

“Because the scope of the game has grown bigger than I thought it would be and because of certain things that has happened in my personal life (such as my mother's death) during this year has slowed the development more than I expected. I'm also running out of budget because of these delays.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?​

“One year.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?​

“I'm planning to add more overworld areas, dungeons, rest of the story content, side-quests and secrets.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?​

“Early Access version contains story related quests, multiple overworld areas, three main dungeons and couple of optional dungeons, seven character classes, lots of equipment to improve characters and other items to help on your journey, lots of secrets to find and NPCs to interact with.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?​

“Yes, price will be gradually raised when new content and features are shipped.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?​

“I will communicate directly with the Community through the forum, read through all the feedback and respond to it, give news about updates and answer questions about the game.”

Thanks Infinitron, you were faster than me! :-D

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Finally got to update the Steam page with pictures that are actually from the release version, so people don't need to spit poison on pictures that were from a version that wasn't even released. At least I'm trying to do something instead of vomiting hatred around the internet.
And apparently there are people who cannot distinct night from day, but I guess that's not my problem.
Always nice to get support from the community. :mixedemotions: Cheers!

Screenshot (1064).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Hmm, maybe I should have added couple of smilies to show that I have a sense of humour..? You know, just in case..? ;)

Last edited:

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
As there's been some talk about the portraits, here's an example of portraits I used to have in the game, but I changed them so they would be in-line with the rest of the characters and graphics.

portrait14.png

mondblut

Arcane
Dungeons look ok, but outdoors feel like you're trapped inside a minecraft character. And what's with the loading times?! Games like that should fit into fucking L2 cache.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Dungeons look ok, but outdoors feel like you're trapped inside a minecraft character. And what's with the loading times?! Games like that should fit into fucking L2 cache.
Loading times are restrictions set by the game engine as this actually is made with RPG Maker.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Loading times are restrictions set by the game engine as this actually is made with RPG Maker.

That's... not very encouraging :(
They are better than in that video as there were some adjustment I was able to do. Of course I could always split those levels into smaller areas, but I think it's better to have a little bit longer loading times every now and then than shorter loading times every other minute. But of course it's always a personal matter can they be tolerated or not.

mondblut

Arcane
They are better than in that video as there were some adjustment I was able to do. Of course I could always split those levels into smaller areas, but I think it's better to have a little bit longer loading times every now and then than shorter loading times every other minute. But of course it's always a personal matter can they be tolerated or not.

I just fail to understand what in this game can possibly make a CPU that is roughly a 1000 times more powerful than CPUs that used to run World of Xeen and Wizardry 7 flawlessly load a level for 5 seconds. It doesn't have a hundred 4096x4096 textures, complex lighting shaders or anything. For all practical purposes it cannot be more than 1 megabyte large, layout, graphics and all. Why, good lord, WHY?

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer

I just fail to understand what in this game can possibly make a CPU that is roughly a 1000 times more powerful than CPUs that used to run World of Xeen and Wizardry 7 flawlessly load a level for 5 seconds. It doesn't have a hundred 4096x4096 textures, complex lighting shaders or anything. For all practical purposes it cannot be more than 1 megabyte large, layout, graphics and all. Why, good lord, WHY?
Because the engine itself and the MZ3D plugin that makes it possible for making 3d-games hasn't been made to handle multi threading. The person responsible for the plugin is actually rewriting it to support multi threading, but I don't know when it's going to be finished and will it work with this project. World of Xeen and Wizardry 7 are actually 2d games and this in 3d, even supporting Nvidia 3d Vision, so there are differences.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
And one thing I forgot to mention is that RPG Maker doesn't use GPUs that effectively, though MZ uses them better than MV what I used in the beginning.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
The first content update for Chronicles of Vaeltaja has been released today, also the game is now available at Itch.io

The update is bigger than I originally planned and patch notes can be found at Steam

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
the only review on steam mentions:

noHC.png

that means this is lame and gay homosexual. very much for catamites.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom