Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization V is Dead

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You moron. You still need to connect to Steam if you want to install it. You need internet connection so it can call home and check. No internet connection - no installing.

You're right then - I'm a moron. If that's the case, then FUUUUUUUU-

Ryuken

Liturgist
Sceptic said:
Ryuken said:
You might want to highlight that incredibly big and exciting portfolio of games which haven't been tainted by online authentications or some obscure copy protection schemes then.
Do you really want to go there? Unless your definition of "big and exciting portfolio of games" is limited to the past 5 or so years it's going to be a VERY long list. As in hundreds.

And even for the past 5 years I'm sure I'll be able to think of a couple dozen.

I'm much more interested in how many games with online authentications are really that much worth it. Ten? Twenty? That's not a lot.
It's a lot if you count in Starforce/Tages/Securom stuff next to online authentications. And yes, I definitely was talking in the somewhat present sense, about games which were recently released or are going to be released. It's nice from time to time to step back into a time machine to find good games and a time period of less restrictive copy protections but that's the past. I can't keep on playing AoE II or Knights of Honor forever because their flaws become painstakingly obvious the more you exclusively play them. I know I can have fun with good older games but I want to play new things as well.

Civ V is a real new thing. I am not gonna buy it because that series just ain't my taste (every other empire-building turnbased game is fine for me, just not Civ). Whether it has Steamworks or not is a non-issue in these times, if you let that get in your way you've been missing out on some great titles for the past few years like I said before.

Having to remain near-constantly online for a singleplayer experience is my treshold and for now only one big company has crossed that line (aka Ubisoft).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ryuken said:
Having to remain near-constantly online for a singleplayer experience is my treshold and for now only one big company has crossed that line (aka Ubisoft).
Fair enough. And my threshold (and that of many others on here) is that, when I buy a game, I'm buying a game, not renting it. Disc checks, no matter how annoying or obscure, will work forever as long as I don't break my discs. Online activation, even if it's one-time and then allows me to play offline, means that I need to depend on the game company for being able to play my game. That's not what owning my copy of the game means.

As for flaws of old games, I don't see how that's different from flaws of new games. I find it far less annoying to play a flawed old game than finding the same flaw in a new one and wondering what the fuck they're waiting for to stop doing it.

And who said you need to buy games all the time? :smug:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ryuken said:
Civ V is a real new thing. I am not gonna buy it because that series just ain't my taste (every other empire-building turnbased game is fine for me, just not Civ). Whether it has Steamworks or not is a non-issue in these times, if you let that get in your way you've saved a lot of time and money for the past few years like I said before.
Fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom