Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Colony Ship is ok. For title from 2023 - completely ok. And that's my big disappointment

P.S. If you made such dark game (both literally and figuratively) then you gotta have light as prominent gameplay mechanic and you should have more truly dark things done by Humans and to Humans. Inspired by edgy anime and dark parts of Human Psychology and Nature. Ask important questions, don't give answer to all. Also offer flame of hope

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Agreed that Colony Ship should've been darker. Being stuck on a tin can in space is a perfect recipe for all kinds of human depravity. Something with the aesthetics of Pandorum, which is actually a half decent scifi horror flick.

This is a pretty subjective statement. Fallout could have been darker, but it wasn't. In both the first two games, you had agricultural towns in a post apocalyptic world with no real regional governments in a world where guns are everywhere. There's gobs of problems with that realistically, so it would have been easier to have justified those towns not existing and having more raider camps everywhere or cannibals given they added "tribals" to the second game. There's several reasons why you wouldn't want to go darker with a setting that has a potential for being darker. For one, a moderately civilized collective of people can be a reason to give the player more things to do socially than a more anarchical society. With a moderately civilized society, you can get things to do from just about anyone whereas in the latter, you pretty much need to answer to the biggest, toughest son of a bitch that runs things. Well, you answer to him until you're big enough to beat him. It's basically the setting design choice of Fallout versus Kenshi. Both work, both are post apocalyptic, one is way darker than the other, and one is more traditional when it comes to quest giving and sidequests whereas the other is more sandbox where you do what you want and hope not to piss off something that can squash you until you're ready to squash them back. When you go to design something within a setting, you have to consider what you want the player to be doing and hope for a little consistency with how you're presenting things.

Beans00

Augur
So I beat this game over the course of the last week or two since my posts here. My total playtime ended up being 19.7 hours, minus around 2h for my first playthrough which I quit. So around 17.5. I did all side content in the game I could find which is probably 95% of it, maybe I missed a quest or two

First my choices were Jonas -> stanton(sp?) -> protectorate -> monks and I took the monk endgame where I didn't land right away but that shit seemed half baked. My choices were mainly influences by convenience and music.

The pit was by far the best part of the game. There were even times in chapter 1 where I dare say I was enjoying myself. Jonas/Braxton conflict was interesting enough, I made nice with mercy and got her to join Jonas. Good amount of side quests most not that interesting but whatever. Mission control and Armoury were ok side areas. Hydroponics sucked(all of them), more on red and yellow later but green has some of the worst art direction I have ever seen in any game.

Factory was whatever, short area not much personality. The habitat was garbage. This is where the game really falls apart, in the end it felt like a worse version of canyon of titan from wasteland 2. Minimal side quests most were pointless, the factions all had little personality. The faction quest lines also literally consisted of like 2 quests, and usually an optional side quest in the area. Whole habitat literally took me like 90 minutes.

Fucking mat and luke luke from fallout(generic traders in front of the hub) had more characterization then the entire Habitat. I could ask them about the hub, about caravans, about caravan drivers. I could get info on the world from them. These interactions are basically completely absent in colony ship. Occasionally there is an important npc who will give some pillars of eternity level exposition for no reason but there's no real conversations in the game. There is no Beth to ask about rumors.

Maintenance tunnels bla bla nothing interesting. Hydropinics yellow and red absolutely sucked, but I will get to the combat later. After that the end game literally takes like 30 minutes so there's nothing to really talk about. I bypassed 2 fights with speech options but that was it for the entire monk endgame.

Edit- I completely forgot the heart, that area sucked too. Literally had like 2 side quests and 3 people to talk to who weren't merchants.

So the general problems this game has;

First the world itself is an interesting idea. The characters themselves all suck ass. Very few distinct personalities, everyone is either a dickhead or the monks who are autistic without much personality. This is a huge problem for the game IMO. The fans will disagree but I was not motivated by any characters in this game. Wheras I liked Killian, I liked Gorsky, I liked sheriff green who didn't even have a face. I liked Gilbert Bates. Diego was a bro. I wanted to kill Seravok and Irenicus, I wanted to kill Walton Simons and Dedriana. A single tear rolled down my cheek when I was forced to kill Tchort.
As I write this aside from Jonas and Ava. I literally need to google the names of the habitat faction leaders and I just played the game. They are generic flat B line B tier movie boring.

The actual idea for the colony ship is a fine idea, not that it hasn't been done before. I feel the game engine is too restrictive to realize the potential. Compare colony ship to running around Underrail sewers, or even running around system shock 1's space station. Or even levels in Marathon a 1994 FPS, Zero comparison. It's way too restrictive small and claustrophobic.

Whoever decided to put those little pipes or whatever for interactions interrupting movement fuck you. I know it was VD so fuck you double. Seriously fucking annoying to not be able to run through areas because of half closed doors. I'm sure some autists will defend this but this is poor poor poor design.

The CYOA stuff isn't as bad as AOD but it's still there, especially in the end game. I won't go on like a broken record but suffice to say it felt like everything after the pit/factory is super rushed.

The powerleveling with skills is absolutely fucking retarded. It was retarded in elder scrolls games, it's retarded here. Let me choose what skills I want to upgrade.
image.png

Example this is just before I leave for the factory. I needed 1 more fucking lockpick to be able to open 2 level 6 lockers. One ended up having an energy sniper rifle that would have helped me in chapter 2. Retarded design. In the end I wasted probably 30 minutes of my life running around chapter 1 trying to find some container I missed.
Some of the skills were annoying to use(stealth) or felt half baked(steal) but nothing to really bitch about. I ended up just maxing almost everything on my main character except computers and stealth which Faythe handled. Kind of defeats the purpose of choosing your tags for companions but whatever lol.

Absolute trash tier itemization. There are games I like that have poor itemization. That being said there's too many types of pointless fucking guns and armour. Every time I still need to check if it's an upgrade or not. 1 less max damage, 1 less ap. 1 dr more in projectices 1 less in melee. Ect it's fucking pointless you don't need 100 guns in the game just copy fallout retards. How many smg's are in fallout? 2? Yeah ja2 has 20 types of smg's but it's really simple, damage, range, ammo type. In CS there's only 4 types of ammo, with a few exceptions most are restricted to 1 type of gun (.45 can be pistols of rifles, maybe some others). Literally like 40 different types of body armour. Again this is pointless busywork to sort through. I'm sure some people here liked it and that's ok but there just isn't enough difference in equipment to be worth having this many variations.

The game is completely linear in a bad way. A question for Vault Dweller. If having to wait for chapter 3 or 4 in Baldur's gate 1 to visit the bandit camp/cloakwood was so egregious. Why do I need to wait until chapter 3 to visit the heart? Or chapter 2 to visit the Habitat? After years of shitting on the BG games you made two games much more linear then them. Good work lol.

The COMBAT absolutely sucks ass. By far the worst part of the game. Despite being squad/party based there is minimal room for any type of tactics or thought. Throw grenade, kill 1 enemy at a time. Deal with autistic shields that regen and make fights take longer. Every fight in the game starts in a pre planned tiny arena so you don't even have the tactical breadth of fallout 1/2 where you can start fights based on location. Ie slavers in the den are hard, fight them in a bottle neck and thin them out.

More importantly the enemies you fight in CS are awful. Absolutely awful. Human enemies which to be fair are probably 70% of encounters. Robots and critters are pure cancer and do nothing but throw status effects on you cutting your AP. With shields you're fairly tanky so the only effect this has is making everything take longer. Compare to Underrail, where generally speaking getting stunlocked means getting dead. The difference is Underrail almost always lets you start fights on your own terms. So you are always given a fair opportunity to avoid debilitating status effects.
In CS, lets say it's you against 2 floaters 3 mind worms. Main character moves first, maybe I can disable 1 floater, but the other one will nuke my party regardless. This doesn't make the fight unwinnable it just makes it take 5x longer because now everyone has half ap for like 4-6 turns or some shit. Too many enemies are annoying to fight.

I had a similar issue in dungeon rats where every time I ran into an enemy with a grenade it meant a game over. I had to re load and use a grenade to make sure I 1 shot him on the first turn or before he went. DR has better encounter design overall then CS though.

Almost every good game lets you start fights on your own initiative. CS sure as fuck isn't xcom.

I may have forgot something but end rant. Overall I'm glad I beat it but I did not care for it. Definitely one of the worse rpg's from the 2012 era onward. I put it above numenera at least. This game is definitely worse then wasteland 2/3 or the shadowrun games however. It took me 17 minutes to write all of this so please don't judge me I put a lot of hard work into this wall of text, thanks in advance for the down votes.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The COMBAT absolutely sucks ass. By far the worst part of the game. Despite being squad/party based there is minimal room for any type of tactics or thought. Throw grenade, kill 1 enemy at a time. Deal with autistic shields that regen and make fights take longer. Every fight in the game starts in a pre planned tiny arena so you don't even have the tactical breadth of fallout 1/2 where you can start fights based on location. Ie slavers in the den are hard, fight them in a bottle neck and thin them out.

Yeah, I hadn't even really thought about how boring/frustrating I found both the itemisation and most of the combats.

I loved most of the encounter design in AoD and Dungeon Rats by comparison.

Didn't really get a feeling beyond frustration with most of the CS encounters.

thesecret1

Arcane
I liked the combat overall - being able to choose unit placement offset the lack of initiative, at least for me, and I found most fights to provide good challenge. Loved the loot pinata system, though I agree some "variants" were rather unnecessary ("do you want this armor, or an identical one that blocks one more damage from guns but one less from melee?" - come on man, who cares about one measly point?).

Agree with pretty much everything else though - the game sort of dies with the end of Chapter 1.

d1nolore

Savant
:shitandpiss:

Typical shitting on a game and pretending things are wrong because individual specific tastes. Even comparing to Arcanum which is ridiculous; Arcanum was buggy as hell and lots of unfinished content probably due to feature creep, and Troika went out of business! The idea of copy and pasting the format from Arcanum and Fallout and magically everything will work perfectly is such a clueless thing to suggest.

Iron Tower games are great and they’ve got their own style. AoD is a pretty hard act to follow! The issues with profitability and running the studio are problems with the business planning, budget, and scale. If the studio can survive it has to come from changes primarily with the business model. It was a long shot and looks like it just can’t work sadly!

Beans00

Augur

Typical shitting on a game and pretending things are wrong because individual specific tastes. Even comparing to Arcanum which is ridiculous; Arcanum was buggy as hell and lots of unfinished content probably due to feature creep, and Troika went out of business! The idea of copy and pasting the format from Arcanum and Fallout and magically everything will work perfectly is such a clueless thing to suggest.

Iron Tower games are great and they’ve got their own style. AoD is a pretty hard act to follow! The issues with profitability and running the studio are problems with the business planning, budget, and scale. If the studio can survive it has to come from changes primarily with the business model. It was a long shot and looks like it just can’t work sadly!

Fallout 1/2 probably sold 5-10x the amount of copies CS did(I read somewhere Brian Fargo claimed Fallout 1/2 moved close to 1 million units each, which may be generous).
Arcanum sold 240k copies, which is more then CS did again.
I guess only VD knows how many units CS sold, steamspy says 100-200k.

These games did it at a time when profit margins were lower, development costs were higher. Also accessibility was lower, it's much easier to sell steam copies then retail copies. Going by that logic if ITS did a 1:1 copy of Fallout they would have been considerably more successful. Proof;

atom rpg https://steamspy.com/app/552620 (500k-1mill)
atom trudograd https://steamspy.com/app/1139940 (200-500k)
CS https://steamspy.com/app/648410 (100-200k)

Please next time do proper research before making inept reactionary posts.

Last edited:
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

I haven't been able to give out participation trophies for a while but BG3 not being #1 has really brought out the people who deserve them the most. I thank you for that!

d1nolore

Savant

Fallout 1/2 probably sold 5-10x the amount of copies CS did(I read somewhere Brian Fargo claimed Fallout 1/2 moved close to 1 million units each, which may be generous).

These games did it at a time when profit margins were lower, development costs were higher. Also accessibility was lower, it's much easier to sell steam copies then retail copies. Going by that logic if ITS did a 1:1 copy of Fallout they would have been considerably more successful. Proof;

You’re comparing apples to mangoes. The point is it’s the business model that’s failed. Taking a tally of opinions from codex shitposting isn’t going to fix anything, like the guy who was upset with the lack of racism…

Shadowrun Returns was a success, at the time, I wouldn’t say that was nearly a better game. Need to find a model that works, and works in today’s market.

If anything the ‘tard posting is probably putting off people from buying it, which is unfortunate.

Vatnik Wumao
Agreed that Colony Ship should've been darker. Being stuck on a tin can in space is a perfect recipe for all kinds of human depravity. Something with the aesthetics of Pandorum, which is actually a half decent scifi horror flick.
day 2 of post apo american movie - humans afraid of food shortages eat each other, harem forms
The ship is a post scarcity society. All inhabitants are freely provided with N Tabs, water and shelter. No one is in danger of dying from outright starvation. That's actually the big problem with the setting. People are fighting over luxuries, not over survival.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

You’re comparing apples to mangoes. The point is it’s the business model that’s failed. Taking a tally of opinions from codex shitposting isn’t going to fix anything, like the guy who was upset with the lack of racism…

Shadowrun Returns was a success, at the time, I wouldn’t say that was nearly a better game. Need to find a model that works, and works in today’s market.

If anything the ‘tard posting is probably putting off people from buying it, which is unfortunate.

Not cowtowing to the Codex summarizes 98% of the problems in this game though, keep up

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
day 2 of post apo american movie - humans afraid of food shortages eat each other, harem forms
The ship is a post scarcity society. All inhabitants are freely provided with N Tabs, water and shelter. No one is in danger of dying from outright starvation. That's actually the big problem with the setting. People are fighting over luxuries, not over survival.
do they though? All factions seem to be fighting over ideology. Only ones that focus on economy/power are pre habitat. I guess mercy is exception

thesecret1

Arcane
To be fair, you find out later in game that as the ship systems fail, the provided rations get smaller and smaller while the water gets increasingly polluted. But it's true that technically, anyone on the ship should be able to just hang about and do absolutely nothing, and still be fine. Makes you question all those people in the hub dealing with bullshit and working for meagre wages, instead of just saying "fuck it", moving out, and having similar living standards just consuming N-tabs and hanging about.

It's also rather curious how a christian sect would be fine with recycling corpses into food, even though it had a whole hydroponics section that could feed them with regular crops and frog meat. Wouldn't they have at least recycled the corpses into fertilizer, then used that for plants, to put an extra step between themselves and outright cannibalism?

Vatnik Wumao
The bigger incongruity is the scavengers. People who take on a job that involves salvaging unsafe decks where you can get maimed by monsters, security systems or bandits. Fayth's character arc revolves around how dangerous scavenging is. But no one actually needs to risk their life like this when food, water and shelter are free.

thesecret1

Arcane
The bigger incongruity is the scavengers. People who take on a job that involves salvaging unsafe decks where you can get maimed by monsters, security systems or bandits. Fayth's character arc revolves around how dangerous scavenging is. But no one actually needs to risk their life like this when food, water and shelter are free.
Yes. Though to be fair, after investigating the entirety of Mission Control, it seems "scavengers" are about 20 people in total or so. I can see why there would be a couple dozen daredevils doing risky shit with the sight of large profits, though I don't understand why everyone on the ship makes such a big deal out of it.

thesecret1

Arcane
Would you be content with living your whole life in a pod eating goy slop?
The issue is that the entirety of the Habitat does exactly that (even described when you first visit residentals that they live in pods, and eat N-tabs just like the poorest beggar in the Pit), only while people in the Pit or even shuttle bay get that living standard at zero effort, Habitat people wage slave for it.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
We're on the Codex. I bet many people here do live like that.

And IIRC, the protein tab they eat on the ship is probably healthier than the trash food sold today.

DoWhocares

Literate
I registered my first codex account after years of lurkdom to gobble on some Dungeon Rats nuts. Still maintain it's the best ITS game. AoD is great as well. Better than Underrail that's for sure.

I of course d1p Colony Ship early access, and mucked about with it then. But after playing the release version - I dropped it partway through. Without going into autistic details that have been discussed over and over already, it just felt like a chore to play. Still a shame it was enough to kill the studio.

:hero:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yes. Though to be fair, after investigating the entirety of Mission Control, it seems "scavengers" are about 20 people in total or so. I can see why there would be a couple dozen daredevils doing risky shit with the sight of large profits, though I don't understand why everyone on the ship makes such a big deal out of it.
The thing is that food, water and shelter are probably not truly free. The protectorate demands grueling work, the brotherhood is so overpopulated that they have rationing (and iirc they have to boil the ntabs, so there's some cut corners or something). Church idk. The pit does seem to have the closest to free food, but they're also under military pressure from the other factions so it seems pretty clear it's not going to last. But I would also be surprised if you could stake out an apartment in the pit without some kind of violence to back it up, or someone with violence will show up and evict you.

Just because the ship machinery will spit out 3 n-tabs per day and person does not mean there won't be robber barons.
The issue is that the entirety of the Habitat does exactly that (even described when you first visit residentals that they live in pods, and eat N-tabs just like the poorest beggar in the Pit), only while people in the Pit or even shuttle bay get that living standard at zero effort, Habitat people wage slave for it.
Habitat people are also ideologically brainwashed.

Üstad

Arcane
He didn't have TIME maaan for making money. He had to focus on not fleshing out rest of game outside Chapter 1. Seven years is very short time span. Fallout 2, Arcanum and Bloodlines were made in 7 years. With technology from 20 years ago. But Colony Ship... Well, at least it's full of based nigger characters. Like your typical FOX series
What's wrong with black people on a fucking spaceship from Earth heading towards Proxima?

Some time ago I had a healthy laugh from retards demanding introduction of people of color in medieval rural Bohemia of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Now I have an equally healthy laugh from retards who can't handle that people in futuristic setting might actually represent all skin tones.
Not appeasing the drooling retards expecting to black-white racial tension 700 years after was the correct choice, it'd be like expecting western steppe herders still having tensions with early european farmers who looked different from each other and their mixture makes up modern european population, since there was no racial caste like in colonial world, such looks based class and pseudo racialism didnt persist, but leave it to idiots expecting racial tension in year 2700 for no grounded reason.

The morons keep kvetching here because it's the only place they're taken atleast half serious. I swear to god there is always some irrelevant shit they take offence on and endlessly cry about it.

Beans00

Augur
Not appeasing the drooling retards expecting to black-white racial tension 700 years after was the correct choice, it'd be like expecting western steppe herders still having tensions with early european farmers who looked different from each other and their mixture makes up modern european population, since there was no racial caste like in colonial world, such looks based class and pseudo racialism didnt persist, but leave it to idiots expecting racial tension in year 2700 for no grounded reason.

The morons keep kvetching here because it's the only place they're taken atleast half serious. I swear to god there is always some irrelevant shit they take offence on and endlessly cry about it.

Myself and JarlFrank wrote by far the most intellectually stimulating and insightful posts criticizing the game and neither of us(unless he did?) did any 'kvetching' about racial undertones in the game.

Please, do some proper research next time and attempt to form intelligent debate with both myself, and Jarlfrank instead of typing nonsense fishing for upvotes. The Wall is trolling, and I respect him for that. He, however does not represent all colony ship criticism.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
To be fair though, it IS pretty immersion-breaking to see niggers in a far-future scifi setting spread throughout society, even in Underrail (which is my fav RPG game) where South Underrail is a shithole so niggers are in their natural element. Niggers should mostly appear as sanitation workers, slave troopers and so on.

If I wrote niggers into a scifi-setting at all (like if I wanted to make it really edgy and grimdark and depressing, then I'd consider niggers still existing in the far future, though it's kind of overkill) then I'd naturally have niggers be an underclass. Any truly advanced technical society would naturally make niggers a lower social caste with restricted rights, but if you write a semi-collapse of civilisation (like both Colony Ship and Underrail) then it would make sense to have a small number of eccentric niggers in the middle class and even technical roles. You could have the technical niggers shaking and and flinching erratically from the strain of being both intelligent and a nigger at the same time, in the same way that a 170 IQ whitoid would be highly eccentric. That's how the one nigger scientist I spoke to IRL came across. Or maybe niggers could be the mentats - using unpleasant technology to boost nigselves mentally, with the normal human beings (whites and east asians) having too many citizens' rights to be subjected to such things.

You can always go back to reddit if Codex doesn't live up to your "intellectual" standards.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom