Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Command and Conquer reboot developer diary released

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Command and Conquer; EA Victory Games

A developer diary for the Command and Conquer reboot by EA Victory Games (Formerly Bioware Victory) has been released.

The video description promises that the game will go back to the series roots and explore the formula that made the original series so popular.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Didn't say much.
"We want to make a great game" herp, "we'll make a true C&C" derp, "we will listen to our fans" sure.
Gameplay looks more flashy and epileptic than anything I've ever seen in a RTS.
Concept art looks fantastic though.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
We can't get the old C&C back, times have changed, we ourselves have changed. An awesome new installment would be great but chances for slim to say the least.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I just love how they refer the Generals as the old game.

I hardly played that game, the old game for me is C&C C&C Red Alert.
I just don't have a lot of faith i am telling you.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
"This feels like old Command & Conquer, classic Command & Conquer. It feels like General"

X.x

Dayyālu

Arcane
We can't get the old C&C back, times have changed, we ourselves have changed. An awesome new installment would be great but chances for slim to say the least.

Basic structure and gameplay of C&C is timeless: they are effective and quite unchanged from game to game, bar units/factional differences and graphics improvements.

I still find them good to play once in a while- my favourite is sadly not a pure C&C but Emperor.

There are mainly two ways they can press this foward: the Tiberium Wars/Red Alert 3 (For a moment let us consider RA3 a worthy successor), taking the core mechanics and upgrading graphics and stuff - for luddites like me this could be good, but the modern gaming market can support such a game and make it profitable?
I see no problems in the reference to Generals. While it was an hilarious abomination plot/faction wise (AK-47! FOR EVERYONE!) the mechanics were solid.

And the C&C 4 way. Trying to make it 'new' in something, failing horribly and killing the franchise. Again.

The main problem is if the basic C&C formula CAN still live in this 'social-gaming' age...

Zeriel

Arcane

I don't think the C&C model is outmoded--if anything, I think it would have a great chance to succeed precisely because it's simple, fun, it works, and because the genre and the industry has abandoned that model. The only really successful RTS on the market (Starcraft) isn't very different from C&C, really, it just has evolved the details (unit powers) to magnify the importance of micro.

"This feels like old Command & Conquer, classic Command & Conquer. It feels like General"

X.x

Yeah, that was pretty incompetent. Make a movie all about convincing old players you're trying to remake old C&C, then namedrop new C&C that departed from the formula dramatically. Uhhhhhh.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Generals was pretty good though. If they cut supply drops for the old harvesters id be pretty happy and seeing the return of Tanya, Tesla Coils and Mammoth tanks would be nice.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I heard Generals was alright gameplay-wise. Unfortunately for me a lot of the fun of C&C was the whole package: the flavor, the world, the music. Take away the sci-fi alternate-history part of it (or just do it really shittily) and I lose interest pretty fast. It would be cool to see a legitimate reboot, actually: do original C&C again, do it right, and don't take it into crazy future space alien territory with the sequels quite as quickly as Westwood did.

My favorite C&C is still the first one.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^This. Generals was a bland pap without the lore.
Sadly, the franchise died after the excellent Yuri's Revenge.
And if they stick to Generals as a model, they'll resurrect a zombie at best.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
As long as they stay away from C&C 4 style I'm OK. While I like Generals generally, I prefer CC2-3 and Red Alert 1-2 especially campaign wise.
My main gripe about this one is F2P model, in before "Mamoth Tank for everyone just for $0.99!"

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Yeah, Generals definetely stands apart as a C&C game, its still got the same silly over-the-top-ness that the others have, but in the moreboring context of contemporary events rather than the crazy Cold War scenarios filled with wacky techs and mad scientists set to the sound of Hell March. I dont remember playing the original C&C though.

Surprised nobody has tried to reboot Dune; the Sandworm was a pretty cool mechanic as a random element in battles that could be manipulated with thumpers and such. It's something you dont see in many RTS's and has some untapped potential I think.

Anyone here ever play the expansions for the original Red Alert? to this day ive met only one other person who knows about them.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Red Alert have something like Aftermath? Including giant ants as enemy if i remember right. I had fun playing it.
My favorite is the first game, I first thought its something like Cannon Fodder when played. Had some nightmares attacking against Obelisks of Lights ... and dat cutscenes.

Last Dune was OK(Emperor), i think it was the most unbalanced of Westwood strategies. Made some crazy armiesby using projector tank thingy, my friend just quited game after seeing my army :D He was such a noob ...

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Yeah aftermath :D and the ants. There was also a strange expansion that im not sure if Ive made up in my mind now that played something like Hero Arena or something in WC3 with people using different units (chronotanks etc) to fight eachother.

Man, now I want to grab that Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection AND Emperor: Battle for Dune. Too bad I don't have money.

I never played Emperor, is it good? Judging from what I saw, looks superb! Should I play "old" Dune RTS's first?

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
I wonder if some of this stuff is freeware now If it isnt, I wouldnt feel to guilty about removing it from inventory, Westwood's gone now anyways.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Man, now I want to grab that Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection AND Emperor: Battle for Dune. Too bad I don't have money.

I never played Emperor, is it good? Judging from what I saw, looks superb! Should I play "old" Dune RTS's first?
Emperor is ok. Gameplay-wise very similar to C&C, just with Dune settings and slightly less terrible FMV cutscenes.

As for the old Dune, there's no reason not to play it for "educational reasons". But don't expect much. It simply it did not age well. The progress the genre has made since then is quite obvious. If it's some good Westwood RTS fun you're after, you're much better off with the original two C&Cs and Red Alerts.

EDIT: A bit OT but - I actually much prefer the original Cryo's Dune 1 to Dune 2 now. In the 90s I hated it and I loved Dune 2 but now I'm replaying Dune 1 every 3 years or so and it's just sublime, unique game. Wish for a Kickstarter sequel so bad.

Zeriel

Arcane
The free-to-play aspect does make the chances of it being a genuine throw-back zero. Free to play means always online means why have singleplayer campaign with cutscenes means at best a decent multiplayer game with some elements of Pay To Win.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I wonder if some of this stuff is freeware now If it isnt, I wouldnt feel to guilty about removing it from inventory, Westwood's gone now anyways.

Tib Dawn, Red Alert 1 and Tib Sun used to be freeware for a short while before the release of C&C4, they even made a big deal about "releasing them for free".

Of course, the site that had the downloads no longer exists :troll:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
The free-to-play aspect does make the chances of it being a genuine throw-back zero. Free to play means always online means why have singleplayer campaign with cutscenes means at best a decent multiplayer game with some elements of Pay To Win.

They said there won't be any SP campaing when game first announced as F2P, after the shitstorms and fan rage they considered it again and game ship with a campaign now. But I guess its gonna be on par with boring Generals campaign at best :/

Fuck them and fuck the horse they rode in on. This is nothing more than a money grab, they cannot deliver.

Tib Dawn, Red Alert 1 and Tib Sun used to be freeware for a short while before the release of C&C4, they even made a big deal about "releasing them for free".

Of course, the site that had the downloads no longer exists :troll:

This. Of course they never mentioned afterwards that the games stopped being freeware, even after taking down the links - there's working versions out there on the web.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom