Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Command and Conquer reboot developer diary released

circ

Arcane
Emperor's main problem if I remember, is that it's kinda of a dick to get to work and look decent on modern hardware.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Emperor's main problem if I remember, is that it's kinda of a dick to get to work and look decent on modern hardware.

That is why the true Codexer has an old machine that runs Win98 and has appropriately aged hardware that does what Dosbox or other workarounds cannot do.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
169204-command-conquer-tiberian-sun-windows-screenshot-firestorm.jpg

This is C&C. Not the shit that I saw in the video.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This is C&C. Not the shit that I saw in the video.

This is a very good point. I don't think there was any other RTS in which I had so much fun 'larping' my base design with walls and shit. And placing pavement over every single uncovered tile within said walls.

Also remember doing a 6-tile-thick wall with a fuckton of prism towers in that Allied mission in RA2 where you have to protect the Pentagon. Good stuff :thumbsup:

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Use to play RA1 alot with the technology slider at lowest; so only pillbox's, sandbags and infranty. Larp ww1 as I pumped men straight out of the barracks to their death for 30min of nearly constant gunfire and death-screams and then group up a big unit of them and attack move their defenses individually. The sound of 100+ infrantry men opening fire simultaneously used to lag my computer.

Another cool thing was the map "The Hills have Eyes" in Red Alert: Aftermath, where roaming groups of the technicians/civilians etc who would sometimes come out of your buildings when they got blown up would spawn from a village in the center of the map and proceed to singlehandely fuck entire bases with OP health and tesla coil/flame tower/tanya attack. The best thing to do was to run them over with something you had but they ran erratic and the tesla ones could kill your tanks before they could even get a 2nd run at them sometimes.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I have fond memories about COmmand and conquer, i played the demo in German. Don't know why though :hug:

Hellraiser

Arcane
When I saw the word reboot I thought they may have wanted to remake the original C&C (in before a "they already did that with C&C3" joke). Not sure if I should be disappointed or happy that they aren't.

Also lol at generals being the classic C&C experience. The one game in the series outside of C&C 4 (shit), renegade (fps) and sole survivor (who remembers that one?) that abandoned the classical building/resource for the warcraft one.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Anyone here ever play the expansions for the original Red Alert? to this day ive met only one other person who knows about them.

i remember playing two expansions / add-on's

tesla-tanks, electrobots, those atomic submarines... and that moon scenario / map where the functions of the units where changed? also ants. goddamn ants :D

i remember building some maps for RA, too. Good times :cool:

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
moon scenario :o

While im on this nostalgia trip, anyone ever catch the storms made by using the chronosphere too much? They were near invisible and never game-changing but from what I remember it would drift like a ripple across the map and was especially nasty to infantry.

Murk

Arcane
Shit man, I had the retaliation ps1 version -- my brother and I would borrow another playstation and hook it up via the connect-cable and fuck around for hours.

My dad STILL plays RA2 like 2-3 times a week.

The first few games had magic, magic that was completely lost. You just can't compete with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd0qg4I_MM

also, lol ants lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcfvfNEwL8

also 2: forgot how badass the soundtrack could be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXWlB1hK28

Also 3, you bros may find some interest in Open RA -- an attempt to recreate RA 1 for modern machines with added functionality -- there's a lot of issues with it, but the game runs enough to the point of playability as of now.

http://openra.res0l.net/

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
While im on this nostalgia trip, anyone ever catch the storms made by using the chronosphere too much? They were near invisible and never game-changing but from what I remember it would drift like a ripple across the map and was especially nasty to infantry.

I remember those. The first time I saw it, I had no idea what it was, leading to a very memorable WTF moment.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Where are the original Westwood devs?

Kickstarter?

Mostly in Petroglyph, blokes who developed Empire At War among other things.

And yes, SORT OF kickstarter - they kickstarted something called Victory and then pulled it down after a week or something because donations were not really pouring in and they received "publisher interest" :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Allied soldiers in Red Alert had these stereotypical WW2 GI "doughboy" accents. I thought that was rather well done. Although it was also kind of weird since all the generals were European. Oh and the spy was James Bond.

The game was kind of subversive in that it implied that the Western allies were being led by a military junta (presumably of the moderate fascist Engelbert Dolfuss variety?) that was able to take control in Hitler's absence.

Evidence: In the campaign, once you invaded Russia, civilians became targetable!

Hellraiser

Arcane
The allies were weird with their kwan voices in the first RA because technically the krauts were leading the show along with the frenchies and brits. Weren't the allied voice just the same ones as the infantry ones from C&C though? Been a while since I played either game.

There was nearly no mention of kwans in the entire campaign though. In the mission where the reds launch their nuke it was london (or paris?) that was being targeted, not new york or washington. Even in skirmish/multiplayer if you picked a country only european ones were available.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom