Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Command and Conquer reboot developer diary released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The allies were weird with their kwan voices in the first RA because technically the krauts were leading the show along with the frenchies and brits. Weren't the allied voice just the same ones as the infantry ones from C&C though? Been a while since I played either game.

No, they were different (although some of the voice actors may have been the same).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where are the original Westwood devs?

Kickstarter?

Mostly in Petroglyph, blokes who developed Empire At War among other things.

Empire At War was a truly great game idea... with a failed execution as it tried too much fun stuff at once.
I've never seen a game where factions played so radically different. It's like playing three different strategy games, seriously. I love that game, despite all its shortcomings.

Unfortunately, that's what also broke it, as the balance was not very good and the controls were lacking a lot of necessary comfort.
Also, you had no idea what stuff was doing as the decsriptions only had some sci-fi blabla in it instead of "good vs. a or b".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
EaW was half a timeless 10/10 game for me (space battles) and half an utter trash experience (land battles). Goddamn those land battles, they were SO fucking horribly balanced and genuinely unfun to play. At least they sorta fixed it in Forces of Corruption, which did away with a lot of typical skirmish invasions and put actual missions in their place.

But space battles... dayum. I played Homeworld after EaW, and I simply couldn't get to like it because all the time it felt like an inferior and easier Empire at War.

Also, you had no idea what stuff was doing as the decsriptions only had some sci-fi blabla in it instead of "good vs. a or b"

Er, actually the descriptions had just that. They had these 'good vs a/b/c, bad vs x/y/z' pictures at the bottom of the description frame.

Dayyālu

Arcane
But space battles... dayum. I played Homeworld after EaW, and I simply couldn't get to like it because all the time it felt like an inferior and easier Empire at War.

You, kind sir , have extremely strange tastes. HW and Empire at war have nothing in common. They're simply...different, and both good games.

A simple question. Forces of Corruption is worth it? What is changed from baseline EaW?

Another simple question. The expansion of C&C 3 is worthy? (Bar the obvious greatness of being devoted to the followers of the Technology of Peace!)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You, kind sir , have extremely strange tastes. HW and Empire at war have nothing in common. They're simply...different, and both good games.

Or is that so? The only major differences I can think of now are resource gathering, Z axis, technology snatching and building units on the spot in HW. Other than that, they are very similar, they follow the same pattern of rock/paper/scissors with almost identical unit categories (fighters/bombers/corvettes/frigates/kroozers), they both have single space station as bases that churn out troops and provide upgrades, and those are basically the core features that make them very similar to me.

A simple question. Forces of Corruption is worth it? What is changed from baseline EaW?

Yeah, it's coolio. Introduces a new faction with all-new units, existing factions get a few new units, those horribad land skirmishes are for the most part replaced by actual missions, you get a lot of new funky unique side-missions involving saboteurs that infiltrate planets alone. FoC is simply an expansion done the proper way - the same good game, but with more stuff and some bad stuff cut.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, I just realized I completely confused Empire At War with Universe At War.
My earlier comments were about Universe At War.

Stupid retort game titles :D

Empire At War I found... okay. Certainly played it it for a while, but I can't remember too much of it so it probably was not too memorable for me. Didn't play the expansion, though. Maybe I will, it does sound improved.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Generals were the most competitive title of all C&Cs, but after that things start rolling into shit, even C&C3 and RA3 were fucked up, mostly because EA flushed all their money to silicon-pumped whores and retards from wrestling in cutscenes.
And given how EA fucked up with Wrath of Heroes, where F2P turned into pure Pay2Win, I can imagine new generals quite well. Tiberium Alliances was(and is) a fabulous fail with its pay2Win system.
Pay 3$ for additional airstrike! 5$ and you'll have +1000 starting resources.

Eyeball

Arcane
Let's be real: what was so damn great about C&C was the awesome industrial soundtrack courtesy of Frank Klepacki and the massive amount of gruesome bloodshed perpetrated on scummy grunts.

By now, the World has moved on. C&C is obsolete. Still great for nostalgic purposes, but people are playing multicoloured eyesore garbage dogshit like SC2 now.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Red Alert 3 was okay, but traditional EA support killed the competitive potential. They hired two batshit retarded degenerades to make weekly videos about "competitive scene".
Never before RTS scene faced such embarassed winners. Guys who won that local tournament looked like they saw Justin Bieber as a guest who would give them their awards. And that was the smallest of EA failures.

grdja

Augur
Brian Raynolds was last seen working at Zynge. The man behind SMAC. So JVC working on a terrible F2P MMORTS isn't that terrible fate in comparison.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Brian Raynolds was last seen working at Zynge. The man behind SMAC. So JVC working on a terrible F2P MMORTS isn't that terrible fate in comparison.

He already left Zynga.

And anyway, THE man of RTS games is Joe Bostic. This guy is legend.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Where are the original Westwood devs?

Kickstarter?

Mostly in Petroglyph, blokes who developed Empire At War among other things.

And yes, SORT OF kickstarter - they kickstarted something called Victory and then pulled it down after a week or something because donations were not really pouring in and they received "publisher interest" :M

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/18/victory-concedes-defeat-as-petroglyph-cancel-kickstarter-campaign/

In the interview, Petroglyph also hint that they may return to Kickstarter later on, with a different and hopefully more victorious project. “We’ve received a ton of feedback, and it’s been very helpful and appreciated. A better Kickstarter project for us would be to make a much more traditional RTS game that appeals to the nostalgia of classic RTS gaming experiences from the 1990′s. Fans have suggested spiritual successors to Dune 2, C&C, Red Alert as well as sequels to Star Wars: Empire at War and Universe at War: Earth Assault.” I’d be quite partial to a new Dune RTS, just as it long as it lets you ride the Sandworm.

:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom