Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG systems, which is the best and why?

BearBomber

Scholar
No pnp copy-pasta, original content only.

Discuss!!!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Throwing games into the room to spark discussion:

Wizardry
Might and Magic
Elder Scrolls
Jagged Alliance 2

Turok

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
Throwing games into the room to spark discussion:

Wizardry
Might and Magic
Elder Scrolls
Jagged Alliance 2

From this list i enjoy more Jagged alliance 2, the idea of contract new guys, explore new citys, upgrade weapons, modifify then, train your people and get control over the map of the cities and mines is just too good, that game have everything, turn base system, isometric view, strategy and stats on every guy in your squad.

Just awesome.

Imbecile

Arbiter
I really like the "get better at the skill you use" approach of the Elder scrolls games, but the way it works needs a serious overhaul.

bhlaab

Erudite
Skill-buy

I hate class-based because before the game is even started it's already decided what you're character's going to be doing at the end.

I hate party-based because I feel as though the player should be creating their own proxy in the game world. One player having command over multiple people weakens the role playing elements (unless you're the kind of larping dork who actually makes different dialogue choices as Minsc instead of Imoen to reflect their different personalities)

I like skill buy because it's so much more intuitive than other, generally D&D-based systems. You want to be better at swords? Make the number next to swords go up. Easy, and just as effective as managing cryptic acronyms and feats.

bhlaab

Erudite
Imbecile said:
I really like the "get better at the skill you use" approach of the Elder scrolls games, but the way it works needs a serious overhaul.

Elder Scrolls' system is great for Elder Scrolls games, not RPGs. The fact that you can max out everything by grinding actually works inits favor

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
bhlaab said:
I hate party-based because I feel as though the player should be creating their own proxy in the game world. One player having command over multiple people weakens the role playing elements (unless you're the kind of larping dork who actually makes different dialogue choices as Minsc instead of Imoen to reflect their different personalities)

I like the idea of NPC parties, as long as the player has close to zero control over his companions. This can go south with screwy AI, but I like the illusion of the NPCs being black boxes, WITHOUT levers sticking out of them.

I don't want to make Mr. Sniffles into a brave guy by moving "BRAVERY" slider to the max, or make Mr. Quarterback into a sissy by sliding it way back. It destroys immersion.

In general, when the player starts to attribute more motivations and personality to the NPC behavior than what they actually have coded into them, I call that a success.

bhlaab

Erudite
shihonage said:
bhlaab said:

I like the idea of NPC parties, as long as the player has close to zero control over his companions. This can go south with screwy AI, but I like the illusion of the NPCs being black boxes, WITHOUT levers sticking out of them.

I don't want to make Mr. Sniffles into a brave guy by moving "BRAVERY" slider to the max, or make Mr. Quarterback into a sissy by sliding it way back. It destroys immersion.

In general, when the player starts to attribute more motivations and personality to the NPC behavior than what they actually have coded into them, I call that a success.

Yeah, I love NPC followers. Even if they're really shallow characters, it's fun to have little buddies that you go on an adventure with

I'm talking more about stuff like Baldur's Gate. clearly the D&D party system is meant for a bunch of people playing together. It's silly for one player to try to roleplay as everyone.

Chefe

Erudite
The best cRPG system was the one present in American Hare III: Conquest of Lithuania.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Careful, any moment now you'll have a 20 page thread of RT vs TB, and then this thread will die a boring, boring death.

bhlaab

Erudite
Barrow_Bug said:
Careful, any moment now you'll have a 20 page thread of RT vs TB, and then this thread will die a boring, boring death.

It will only be one page because turn based wins

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
bhlaab said:
Elder Scrolls' system is great for Elder Scrolls games, not RPGs. The fact that you can max out everything by grinding actually works inits favor

It worked fine in Daggerfall. Grinding results went lower and lower, as you got better in a skill. Only 1% increase max after each rest, and when you got past the 50% mark, it took a loooong time to get this lousy 1% (plus you couldn't train with teachers anymore). So if you wanted to ruin your gaming experience by spending many hours doing nothing but jumping or running, then yeah, you could get good at it. Big deal. And I'm only talking about the easy to grind skills.

Then came Morrowind... :(

Zomg

Arbiter
Might and Magic 1-5, never gave a single sperg-sickness thought to restarting for a new build, yet collecting the skills was fun and interesting. Worst is D&D 3+, designed to run purely on hard black veins of sperg-anthracite.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is also true for Wizardry 8, where it REALLY doesn't matter that much how you develop, you can usually handle everything fine anyway with some thought. Real nice. I never restarted Wiz 8. (Only played it once.)

bhlaab

Erudite
Lonely Vazdru said:
bhlaab said:

It worked fine in Daggerfall. Grinding results went lower and lower, as you got better in a skill. Only 1% increase max after each rest, and when you got past the 50% mark, it took a loooong time to get this lousy 1% (plus you couldn't train with teachers anymore). So if you wanted to ruin your gaming experience by spending many hours doing nothing but jumping or running, then yeah, you could get good at it. Big deal. And I'm only talking about the easy to grind skills.

Then came Morrowind... :(

I don't really see the point of making the skills harder to grind out, but then again I came into the series at Morrowind so I've always seen it as more of a western version of Zelda instead of a real rpg.

I mean, some of the more niche magic schools are already a pain in the ass to raise in the dumbed down sequels.

Liberal

Barely Literate
AD&D 2, the way it was handled in Baldur's Gate/PST. Nice, concise, and neat. BG2 fucked it over with endless xp hunting and diluted classes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom