Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D3 (maybe) auto skill distro = YAY!!!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I doubt that this is true. I mean, what would be the sense of the game then? Every character of the same class would be the same. There wouldn't be any fun in levelling up anymore. I don't think Blizzard would do that, since it would alienate most of their fans. Must be some misunderstanding.

racofer

Thread Incliner
We are getting there brothas! Soon the game will play for ourselves and we shall have time for outdoor activities.

Disconnected

Scholar
racofer said:
We are getting there brothas! Soon the game will play for ourselves and we shall have time for outdoor activities.
And the new pick-up line in bars shall be: "Want to come back to my place to see what my NPC is doing?"

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I would suspect it's something like putting down all your points at level 1 to tell the computer what you want (kinda like those WoW talent calculators) and then it just fills it all in automagically as you go.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I thought the skills in D3 were supposed to be "skill runes" that you gain as loot.

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
Oh C'mon, The game's about hacking and slashing shitloads of monsters to pieces. It does not matter if they auto-distribute the points.

Cassidy

Arcane
There will be no exception now I suppose, mainstream "RPG" will always be synonymous of either challenge-less dungeon crawler roleplay-less "RPG". How much more time before games become as much of a passive and average dumbass entertainment as watching Saturday TV shows?

Stabwound

Arcane
Lim-Lim said:
Oh C'mon, The game's about hacking and slashing shitloads of monsters to pieces. It does not matter if they auto-distribute the points.
I'm sorry, but yes it does.

Actually, now that I've watched the video, I'm almost positive that Morgan Webb (the "host") just had her facts wrong. I don't think this is anything worth getting into a tizzy over...

Sirus

Liturgist
this is the codex

everything is worth getting in a tizzy over

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
racofer said:
Dungeon Siege, man.
kingcomrade said:
I would suspect it's something like putting down all your points at level 1 to tell the computer what you want (kinda like those WoW talent calculators) and then it just fills it all in automagically as you go.
Or Arcanum-style leveling schemes.
Spectacle said:
I thought the skills in D3 were supposed to be "skill runes" that you gain as loot.
No. Skill runes are used to modify skills and give them new properties, it's an independent system. You still need skill points to level skills up and buy them in the first place.

deuxhero said:
Knowing G4, it means some stupid "recommended" feature that is stupidly unoptimized.

Knowing G4, it means somehow cleavage screwed with the message, whether it be the fact that someone was busy staring at it, or that somebody was hired solely to show it off.

DaveO

Erudite
Old news. I don't think players will really know the true answer until 2010-2012 or whenever D3 is released. :roll:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
racofer said:
:lol: Blizzard is just looking after our social lives.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, this is shit. I'm pretty sure I've figured out what they're doing. Blizzard wants to create a game no one sucks at. I don't like this. In D2, nearly any kind of build could beat the game on normal mode, but it took a good build to beat nightmare, and a great build to beat hell. I constantly felt raped by D2 when one of my builds failed, but this pressed me to start over, and try again. Diablo has always had a sense of one upmanship to it, whether you were facing the computer or another player. By focusing customization completely on systems which have no right or wrong answer, they are trying to cater to a dumbed-down mainstream crowd. They see money bags in those who don't need much to feel they've accomplished something. Another word for mainstream is "easy". Unfortunately this only leaves pvp (which will now be based more on luck) to people seeking a challenge. Fuck Blizzard and the WoW business model. How much money do these fuckers need. They are RUINING gaming as we know it. At this point the only hope for real gamers is cyber- terrorism. FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

felicity

Scholar
Arcanum has auto-level too, it is mostly for those who don't want to spend time messing with stats.

Elric

Novice
LeStryfe79 said:
No, this is shit. I'm pretty sure I've figured out what they're doing. Blizzard wants to create a game no one sucks at. I don't like this. In D2, nearly any kind of build could beat the game on normal mode, but it took a good build to beat nightmare, and a great build to beat hell. I constantly felt raped by D2 when one of my builds failed, but this pressed me to start over, and try again. Diablo has always had a sense of one upmanship to it, whether you were facing the computer or another player. By focusing customization completely on systems which have no right or wrong answer, they are trying to cater to a dumbed-down mainstream crowd. They see money bags in those who don't need much to feel they've accomplished something. Another word for mainstream is "easy". Unfortunately this only leaves pvp (which will now be based more on luck) to people seeking a challenge. Fuck Blizzard and the WoW business model. How much money do these fuckers need. They are RUINING gaming as we know it. At this point the only hope for real gamers is cyber- terrorism. FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!
Why are you still assuming that there are people at G4 that have a clue what the hell they're talking about?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom