Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Dark Messiah - How is it?

deuxhero

Arcane
I just played the demo (on my latest boredom trip of playing game demos) and well... it really wasn't very good as a demo, the post tutorial sequence was quite short and ending it with a boss would have shown off some gameplay variety, but they coopped out big time. The skills marked "not available in demo" felt like one of those supposedly free MMO (which is bad when you are trying to sell me on something). Plus even in the very short demo the traps felt overused (Why does there just happen to be a thing of spikes or an easily broken ledge with heavy objects on top of it when enemies are near?). The combat felt fun though (if nothing else)

How's the full game? Worth 10 bucks?

Multi-headed Cow

If it's worth $10 or not mostly depends on how much you enjoyed the combat. Don't know what the demo showed of it, but that's the best part of the game.

Story is completely worthless, the RPG stats/character building is mostly worthless (Though if you go rogue the game is a tolerable sneaker and has secrets, but it's easier/faster to just hit things with a sword), multiplayer I assume is worthless if nothing else than because nobody plays it. The combat is the redeeming part of the game, and kicking goblins into spikes and off cliffs and into other goblins doesn't get old. The downside is the game is less fun when you're fighting undead and giant spiders, since they're less entertaining to dick with. As you mentioned the traps are way overused, but that's mostly for fun and optional. If you get more kicks out of fighting goblins instead of kicking them into fire then knock yourself out.

$10 is an ok price but it's not a game I would recommend to everyone, but it's not entirely awful.

Plot isn't really bad, its just easily forgettable as its not a big focus. Combat is pretty well varied between different weapons and classes. Lots of skill and technique involved. Level design is quite solid, lots of different locations with a few small puzzles and secrets sprinkled in some places.

If you didn't like the demo because of the combat though, don't get it.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Best FPS I've played in a long time, even if it's a First Person Slasher. I played on one notch above normal and it's a lot of fun. 2006 game. If anyone has played anything better since then, please let me know. (I made it halfway through Bioshock, doesn't count).

The enemies, environment and the difficulty made it fun. The RPG aspects probably don't matter, it's action 3D. I have to admit that it's the most challenging FPS I've played in a long time. It's has different environments, is linear but it sucks you in. I'm near the end and have tons of potions, as usual but just when I think I'm getting better, the enemies are kicking my ass.

I love it. Nothing like the modern games. Also you can make your way through the different 'encounters' in a good variety of ways. I like to read the walkthroughs and watch the youtube vids after I'm a few chapters ahead. It's amazing how many people do different things to get through them. I laughed at some and thought my ideas worked better in others. I also missed a lot of secret areas, but again, you get loaded up with stuff so the so called RPG aspect is sort of like Bioshock, a little pointless. It does make you think though.

I think this is a great game. If you like FPS's, different environments and physics puzzles, this is a good time. Good for a lot of laughs. I would have paid full price for it when it came out but it had so many bad reviews and it flew off of my radar. This is a great 'shooter'. Best in several years.

Again, please recommend more if there were any games made after 2006 worth playing.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Level design is quite solid
Bullshit. In the last level, catacombs, i just turned on noclip, there is ZERO guidance and you are barely conscious of what are you to do anyway.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Combat is nice, and some class skills are nice as well. I remember how fun started with fast mana regeneration. (And flaming sword.) Also kicking opponents to various metal things around, kicking them into abyss, or letting some ceiling to fall on them.

Basically if you want more than just combat then, stay away from it. Also it had that horrible jumping. When you are roleplaying it kills immersion.

Outro is kinda anticlimatic.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Naked demoness on all fours...mmmm
On the other hand, this game has probably the most disgusting and shiver-inducing depiction of spiders i've ever seen. I had nightmares about those fucking spiders...and their hissing....ugh

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS IT IS ONLY GOOD IF YOU LIKE NEWFAG POPAMOILE BULLSHIT

IN FACRT ALL GAMES MADE AGFTER 2001 BECAUSE A GAME AHAS TO BE 10 YEARS IOLD BEFORE IT IS GOOD BECAUSE THEN YOU ARE SMAERTER THAN THE YOUNGER GUYS ON INTERNET FORUMS?????!??!

BROS THE CODEX NOW IS ALL SHEEPLE I REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN PEOPLE WEREW INFERDEPENT BRIANED AND LEARNED WHAT GAMES TO LIKE FROM THE CODEX

BRO I GOT SO MAD READING THIS I HAD TO GO KICK MY DOG

Black Cat

Magister
deuxhero said:
How's the full game? Worth 10 bucks?

I really like it. If you play as a full wizard there's lot of fun to be had slaughtering monsters in amusing ways, and the game has lot of small but memorable scenes, a couple involving those ridiculously creepy spiders in particular. It's also very pretty, i would love a true Underworld-like dungeon crawler made on the engine.

It also has a (very) small amount of superficial C&C if you are into that, though the story is kind of bad. I giggled like a little bitch when i decided i had enough of that annoying girl that follows you around and the game actually let me kill her and reacted (very slightly) to it.

LightKnight said:
Bullshit. In the last level, catacombs, i just turned on noclip, there is ZERO guidance and you are barely conscious of what are you to do anyway.

Walk to the oposite end, burn down all the undead along the way, kill the badguy with fire. Maybe i forgot, my memory being kind of bad, but is there anything else to be conscious of? It's mostly a long corridor full of undead things, with some big rooms here and there and maybe some very small explorable areas on the side but that's it. Anyone who can crawl a real dungeon should be able to breeze through it, and i kind of hope anyone on the Codex to be able to crawl basic to medium dungeons with their eyes closed.

Phelot

Arcane
I thought it was too short and there are entire sections of the game that consist of you kicking shit off cliffs... which is oddly fun, but it's still kind of stupid.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's the best first-person action game I can think of. Well worth 10 bucks. The demo is pretty representative of the stealth/fighting parts of the gameplay, but not the magic part, which is a shame, because DM's fireballs are awesome. The demo has a bit more traps than most of the game, but no big difference.

Lightknight

Liturgist
It's mostly a long corridor full of undead things, with some big rooms here and there and maybe some very small explorable areas on the side but that's it.
You must be remembering it wrong, it sprawls in all directions, and there's a LOT of not immediately obvious vertical movement. I found two chains i had to cut by accident, and had no idea how to get to the other two.
From the place where you find the liches yeah, its pretty much a corridor to the endboss, but i have no idea how would i get TO the liches without noclip.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
It's a lot of fun, but it can get tedious towards the end. The level design (gameplay-wise) varies a lot, some levels can be frustrating or dull and others great. The basic combat gameplay is really well done and the fun doesn't really wear out.

The visuals are great, it really pushes the Source engine to its limits with huge vertical vistas. It's a shame that Ubisoft pulled the mod tools just as they were about to be released. Just think of all the awesome dungeon crawling or swashbuckling that could've been.

MetalCraze

Arcane
If you are getting lost in linear Dark Messiah's corridors and complain that there is no quest-compass-like shit to tell you where to go there is something horribly wrong with your intelligence
Thief will probably make your brain melt.

Luzur

Good Sir
its an ok knife-somebody-from-behind-and-kick-orcs-down-stairs-repeatedly game,but it shouldnt be associated with Might and Magic at all.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
My only complaint with the game is how overpowered is the kick, and how they made the levels based on this fact, abusing the easy killers, such as cliffs and fucking spikes everywhere. Aside from that, I found the game fucking good and I'm still butthurt about the fact that the dumbfucks at Ubisoft decided not to release the SDK tools, the game had some great potential for modding.

Luzur

Good Sir
Berekän said:
My only complaint with the game is how overpowered is the kick, and how they made the levels based on this fact, abusing the easy killers, such as cliffs and fucking spikes everywhere. Aside from that, I found the game fucking good and I'm still butthurt about the fact that the dumbfucks at Ubisoft decided not to release the SDK tools, the game had some great potential for modding.

if they did modders would simply make even better games and Ubi wouldnt sell any.

Destroid

Arcane
Isn't it source engine? Can't you just use the same old source engine modding tools?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom