Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Dark Messiah - How is it?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
It's a good game. The hardest difficulty (think it was added in a patch) adds a lot to it, you go down in a couple of hits even near the start.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I'm near one of the last chapters, but it's always a suprise. I like the level editing, the difficulty. Yes, the kicks on my playthrough wear out fast. Try kicking a goul three times, I usually die.

I hit F5 all the time and this game still kicks my ass. I suppose if you metagamed it it's easier. It still kicks your ass. I didn't know what to spend my skill points on. I was aiming for a stealth magic user but ended up looking at the requirements for armour. I'm on chapter x and still have chain armour.

I'm thinking of spending what must be my last few points on the dragon sword.

Whatever, I use my brains and reload alot and it still kicks my butt. I like it.

Story? Who cares? It's an FPS, not an RPG, but possibly a good adventure. I agree, that demon chick made me horny a couple of times.

Damn good game. Not a lot of scripting, every re-load can give you different results, you never really know what's going to happen. I'm suprised that I missed this one. It's brilliant.

Much too much for consoles and retards of course, but I think this is one of the few I might actually retry, right away!

It's a gem. And not too rough.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Yeah, four years later we get the best advice.

Anyways, just kick and slog your way through it, as with most RPG's you turn into a super hero. Or not. I'm still having troubles but that's just me. If you want a challenge, be a jack of all trades and learn how to use the environment, and the F5 key.

It still won't be easy, I'm telling you....

Phelot

Arcane
Haba said:
Severance > Dark Messiah > Die By the Sword

One of the best games I've ever played. A great challenge and fun combat. I wish more games would use it's combat system.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I think I've figured out Volourne.

He is a Western Canadian wanabe. But he's fat.

He has large fingers, swollen frum too much rye and poutine. That's why he can't type worth a damn.

He's from Eastern Canada, therefor has bad garmmar and shitty schoooling.

He can't figure out the right spelling if it kills him, because, he's French and not the real French, but Montreal French.

So you got this guy, that is French, can't spell, doesn't know English, is fat (fingered, on a mushy laptop), a complete drunk (not that that's bad) and is incapable of hitting the keys he want's to and can't speak English. It's quite simple.

Volourne is a frog. A Canadian fat fingered, drunken frog that never got educated and is using a laptop. Not a lot of mystery there.

Now you know.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Well-done atmosphere for a recent FPS. Devs definitely had a big boner for the Thief series (inclusion of rope arrows and the description of the Master Thief armor). Some weapon attacks and spells felt a bit clunky, especially with the finishing moves, but the fun to be had with phys-kills more than made up for it.

STRANGER WILL DIE!

Achilles

Arcane
DramaticPopcorn said:
CreamyBlood said:
Again, please recommend more if there were any games made after 2006 worth playing.
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
(play only remake of Escape from Butcher Bay, addon sucks balls)

Seconded, Riddick is great.

Luzur

Good Sir
phelot said:
Haba said:

One of the best games I've ever played. A great challenge and fun combat. I wish more games would use it's combat system.

ah yeah, where you combo goblins and watch the loose arms and stuff.

MetalCraze

Arcane
phelot said:
Haba said:

Dark Messiah has one advantage over it though - physics. Not that I don't understand which hardware both games had at their time but environment that also kills your enemies makes slashers cooler.

J1M

Arcane
Dark Messiah was fun but the load times were so terrible that I uninstalled it. Has that been fixed in the last 3 years?

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Yes. And Skyway approves. What more do you want? Go play it.

(Old Chilies Rule)

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Destroid said:
Isn't it source engine? Can't you just use the same old source engine modding tools?

Apparently not, I remember reading in the developers forums that they made the public SDK to release a few weeks after the launch and Ubisoft told them not to release it in the end.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
One day it'll be nice whan people (or 'folks') start describing how they feel with 'words' instead of a bunch of 'rage pictures'.

You know you can do it. So do it.

Phelot

Arcane
Hey CreamyBlood, are you posting in the wrong threads or something? Your post about Volourn and rage pics... what are you going on about? :lol:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
phelot said:
Hey CreamyBlood, are you posting in the wrong threads or something? Your post about Volourn and rage pics... what are you going on about? :lol:

I think the antediluvian just woke up from a century of sleep and he's a bit disoriented.

Waking up with revelations about Volourn isn't a good sign. Gehenna is near.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Yes, what ^he said about Vol. Sometimes the lurking spews out. No offense to anyone. Sometimes things just need to be said.

But yes, I have Butcher Bay, it hasn't grabbed me like Dark Messiah did. I'm sure Vin is fun and everything but DM is a darn good game. I just woke up and about to finish off chapter Eight. So you know where I am.

I remember once a while ago when someone said to me, "You're playing Gothic 2: NoTR for the first time, you lucky bastard".

This is an FPS, but I feel the same way, I'm a lucky bastard.

Cheers!

Is there a knack to the combat in this or am I just useless? Most enemies take a hell of a beating and the only way to kill them via swords is to use the finnicky finishing move once they're on the ground which only works half the time.

Tycn

Savant
Try 'f' in conjunction with all the conspicuously placed fires and spike racks. I guess orcs aren't really into OH&S.

But yes, the actual combat (at least the hitting people with swords segment) is pretty fucking bad.

Very enjoyable game. I just wish that they had more immediate commercial success to prompt them to work on follow up games and more importantly use the Dark Messiah as a foundation to build a real and detailed RPG.

Even in the Heroes universe, I wouldn't complain.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A good game. Definitely worth picking it from bargain bin.

Lightknight said:
In the last level, catacombs, i just turned on noclip, there is ZERO guidance and you are barely conscious of what are you to do anyway.

That, good sir, is a load of crap.

Although:
Tycn said:
Zeno Clash is better.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Satori said:
Is there a knack to the combat in this or am I just useless? Most enemies take a hell of a beating and the only way to kill them via swords is to use the finnicky finishing move once they're on the ground which only works half the time.

What's your difficulty setting? In Hardcore mode enemies are ridiculously fat and you are pretty much forced to use environment and/or magic. On Normal and Hard you should finish them with a single strike.

the actual combat (at least the hitting people with swords segment) is pretty fucking bad.

No.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DM is cool. One of the best Source engine games.
Also combat is fun... unless you suck at it herp derp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom