Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Degradation of game-making craftsmanship/technology in general

REhorror

Educated
Same studio (probably not developers), 11 years apart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTekcLCAZpI

Now I truly believe the whole technological degradation on how a early Roman Empire Legionnaire might be better equipped than a late Roman Empire Legionnaire.

The rise of stupidity/incompetence are real!

why should they put any effort and skill in it (both being rather expensive) when they can shove shit and still sell? they don't even have to bribe journos anymore since "influencers" are just cocksucking retards. this is publishers' golden age.

REhorror

Educated
why should they put any effort and skill in it (both being rather expensive) when they can shove shit and still sell? they don't even have to bribe journos anymore since "influencers" are just cocksucking retards. this is publishers' golden age.
I'm just afraid all the art of making good shit is lost.

I'm not sure if they still have the source code for Blackflag, they could MOD that game and have a better product.

they could relauch that game and have a better product. a decade later, in a field where you used to be completely obsolete in 6 months.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
https://www.palladiummag.com/2023/06/01/complex-systems-wont-survive-the-competence-crisis/

By the 1960s, the systematic selection for competence came into direct conflict with the political imperatives of the civil rights movement. During the period from 1961 to 1972, a series of Supreme Court rulings, executive orders, and laws—most critically, the Civil Rights Act of 1964—put meritocracy and the new political imperative of protected-group diversity on a collision course. Administrative law judges have accepted statistically observable disparities in outcomes between groups as prima facie evidence of illegal discrimination. The result has been clear: any time meritocracy and diversity come into direct conflict, diversity must take priority.

The resulting norms have steadily eroded institutional competency, causing America’s complex systems to fail with increasing regularity. In the language of a systems theorist, by decreasing the competency of the actors within the system, formerly stable systems have begun to experience normal accidents at a rate that is faster than the system can adapt. The prognosis is harsh but clear: either selection for competence will return or America will experience devolution to more primitive forms of civilization and loss of geopolitical power.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Now I truly believe the whole technological degradation on how a early Roman Empire Legionnaire might be better equipped than a late Roman Empire Legionnaire.
He wasn't. It's a common misconception, just like the one that early imperial legionnaires all wore Lorica Segmentata.

Both were equipped suitably for the challenges and foes they faced on the battlefield.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
They look the same to me.
You can't be serious....
They are both samey shit. The notable difference is that the water physics is way better in the new game.
You can't even jump out to the water and explore the island on foot in the new game.

Not sure if troll.
I am not judging the gameplay. I don't even know what the new game is about. Is it supposed to be an Assassin Creed-like?

REhorror

Educated
They look the same to me.
You can't be serious....
They are both samey shit. The notable difference is that the water physics is way better in the new game.
You can't even jump out to the water and explore the island on foot in the new game.

Not sure if troll.
I am not judging the gameplay. I don't even know what the new game is about. Is it supposed to be an Assassin Creed-like?
Both are pirates games, and the video clearly shows comparison of the gameplay.
Pretty much everything looks worse in the new game, even the character model and environment.

std::namespace

i actually wanted to make a similar thread because i posted in the total war thread and it made me think that they didnt improve the tactical combat in 20 years...
and the idiotic shiteaters just keep fucking shoveling that garbage inside

so, what games are technically interesting recently? i dunno if i should count gpu tech

artillery duel - terrain deformation by explosions

x-com - 3d, raytracing, destruction

worms - artillery duel 10 years later

total annihilation - very large maps and unit counts

thief - uses room connections to mildly sim far sound propagation

il 2 sturmovik - best flight physics, can break wings by diving at mach1

medieval total war - large scale unit counts, with the illusion of individual engagement, i believe it was larger than shogun
battlefield 1942 - netcode capable of 128 peeps on 1 server, this might not have been a netcode bottleneck though

silent storm - environ destructible

rome total war - switch to 3d models for units, this is a gpu perf or mem bottleneck, the unit counts even bigger now maybe
soldiers heroes of ww2 - individual vehicles control, penetration mechanics

falling sand - its not a game but eh... artillery duel on roids
fear - popularizes goap in ai

2007 x64 era, multicores roll out
dwarf fortress - large scale really running simulation
stalker - live ai agents on 1 grid that is larger than all other 3d shooters at the time
sega rally - persistent track terrain deformation

minecraft - block world, written in java...

achtung panzer kharkov 43 - penetration mechanics, larger than soldiers heroes of ww2, persistent wrecks

factorio - large scale world sim like df

guild wars 2 - popularizes utility based ai arch, though its probably used in far older games, who knows...

mudrunners - track terrain deformation

noita - 1983 artillery duel did it best kek

song of syx - same as dwarf fortress

i dunno if havoc physics counts, its just a sim effect without gameplay reasons, but first used in london racer 2000, than again other racing games had physics

i left out a bunch of racing games with a vehicle damage model

its a sad list...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
how a early Roman Empire Legionnaire might be better equipped than a late Roman Empire Legionnaire.
What do you mean?

If you mean how well you were supplied, then it went from you not being supplied at all to being fully supplied with equipment by the army. Which meant the poorer you were in the early res publica, the less well equipped you were.

If you mean the technological progress, then obviously it marched forward, and if early on you only had lorica musculata, then later on you also had lorica hamata, segmentata and squamata.

I'm comparing the legionnaire from an early roman republic to later roman empire. If you strictly meant the empire period, then I'm not aware of significant changes. What were they?

REhorror

Educated
how a early Roman Empire Legionnaire might be better equipped than a late Roman Empire Legionnaire.
What do you mean?

If you mean how well you were supplied, then it went from you not being supplied at all to being fully supplied with equipment by the army. Which meant the poorer you were, the less well equipped you were.

If you mean the technological progress, then obviously it marched forward, and if early on you only had lorica musculata, then later on you also had lorica hamata, segmentata and squamata.
In reality, late western Roman empire troops rout easily and hire frankish barbarians to protect their arses. Compare this to the legions during Marian reform, it's night and day.

Maybe it's not even an equipment issue, but a loss of discipline and morale. This is close to what's happening nowadays, the tech "advancement" is not showing the impressiveness of it.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I don't like Ubisoft's products, and there are many stories and rumours about the studio. Just to be clear, I'm not defending them or anything (on the contrary).

However, in this particular case, it could have been a problem of motivation, resources, confusion about the product, and developers not giving a fuck about quality, or all of the above. This is because it seems this game was not really meant to be good, be just 'to be': https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1as5g7u/why_didnt_ubisoft_just_scrap_the_idea_of_skull/ (see the various news and comments about the Singapore deal).

I think there's a crisis of leadership at Ubisoft, which is worse than even EA's. It feels like companies are falling apart all of a sudden. There's also a change of mindset and zeitgeist that they aren't catching on. The golden years of 00s and 10s aren't here anymore. The whole "gaming as something else thna just games" is falling flat now.

REhorror

Educated
I think there's a crisis of leadership at Ubisoft, which is worse than even EA's. It feels like companies are falling apart all of a sudden. There's also a change of mindset and zeitgeist that they aren't catching on. The golden years of 00s and 10s aren't here anymore. The whole "gaming as something else thna just games" is falling flat now.
It's not just Ubisoft btw, look at Starfield or the new Batman games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-nCUVXBx_o

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom