Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 looks like shit

Marobug

thursdayschild said:
In short I put this as 20% everyone has different tastes, and 80% OP is a complete fucking moron.

I think we have enough proof to state that 100% OP is a complete moron. If this thread isn't enough just check out his other threads.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
"Painted look" is another way of saying "loss of detail".

HkPkK.jpg

HnK5d.jpg

Micmu

Magister
shihonage said:
"Painted look" is another way of saying "loss of detail".
Pretty much. Same shit as bloom, basically.
Soulless high-res textures stuck to a soulless mesh, blasted over by a zillion of blurring and smudging filters resulting in a phenomenally bad graphics versus beautiful hand-drawn art (on a much lesser hardware).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
also softer shadows, smoother edges, more fog. the scenes are more character-centric.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Don't know about you, but I like sharp imagery in isometric view. It helps tell apart my character from the scenery and other characters. If I wanted paintings, I'd go to a museum.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Uh, well Diablo 2 was 800*600.
The d3 screenshot is probably pretty downscaled.
I'm sure you won't be having any problems telling your character apart.

Then again who knows, it's not like any of us has played it. Screenshots seldom do games justice though, especially not when it comes to how graphics affect gameplay.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If I make a dark-red guy run on top of a red roof, seeing it in higher resolution will improve visibility only mildly.

Resolution isn't a panacea that can solve "shit blending into other shit", or perhaps the "shit having no contrasting outlines to separate it from other shit" problem.

Or maybe it's the "there's too much post-processing in this shit" problem.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
While Grim Dawn looks good I hope the game isn't as empty and generic as Titan Quest and they at least attempt to have somewhat interesting quests and a storyline rather than: here's your big room full of monsters, have at it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
shihonage said:
If I make a dark-red guy run on top of a red roof, seeing it in higher resolution will improve visibility only mildly.

Resolution isn't a panacea that can solve "shit blending into other shit", or perhaps the "shit having no contrasting outlines to separate it from other shit" problem.

Or maybe it's the "there's too much post-processing in this shit" problem.

you're right. but I'm talking about that screenshot you provided. the character may very well have outlines that are blurred cuz of downscaling.

and although I'm not a big fan of double-rainbow landscapes etc, D3 uses colors a lot more. another factor to create character distinction is animation and shadow movements etc, things that are pretty hard to make out in a screenshot to say the least.

here is a high res SS of the witch doctor against a similar background. as you can see, characters are a lot more crisp than what the screenshot you provided could lead someone to believe.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Yye7Nml-tgE/T ... -hires.jpg

here's a 720 video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsODnb1VYo&hd=1

as you can see, your own character is centered just like in D2, and from what I've seen your character is often quite colorful compared to the environment. I don't see how someone would lose track of the PC.

as for enemies, they seem quite distinct as well. and I'd argue in tombs etc., it's actually desireable to have a slightly confusing orientation regarding enemy positions if they're in shadows etc.

from my PoV, from what I've seen from HD gameplay videos and demos, this seems to be a non-issue.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It looks like hit-and-miss.When the gods smile upon you, it looks reasonably contrasty.

In the video it becomes evident that they've fallen into the trap of letting vital game elements (i.e. character) to be affected by environment lighting and post-processing.

IMO, it shouldn't be. When you're walking through a dark area, you shouldn't be squinting to see yourself. The renderer looks like WoW renderer, but WoW used an over-shoulder perspective, where this was acceptable.

This is the reason why in my isometric game, during the rain, the ground is affected by the "dark fog" effect far more dramatically than the characters are. They must be seen at all times.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
racofer said:
Quilty said:
Excommunicator said:
racofer said:
>HaLLuCinOgeN<< said:
Sup guise look at these shitty D3 screens:

552719-CIKKLNE.gif

What in hell is happening in that image, racofer?

He's inserting sea water into his rectum in order to provide his body with water, if I'm not mistaken.

Or is that Jaesun compensating for the recent lack of dicks in his life?

a mystary

It's a survivalist technique. You shove a garden hose up your ass with clean water instead of drinking it. You absorb much more of it and faster, thus increasing your survival odds.

I, personally, think Bear Grylls just wanted to show the world he likes to take it up the ass though.

I`ve seen that episode with Bear Grylls but racofer what your saying is really retarded and funny at the same time rofl i had my laugh. :troll:

..oh what was this thread about whats wrong with D3 looks fine, gameplay is all i need.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I agree that the characters need to be fleshed out more visually. I think a very easy fix would be to just lighten up their silhouettes just a tiny bit. The game still looks great in motion.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
"Loss of detail" = move from 2D to 3D. Noticed the same thing when they got rid of sprites...too many repetitive tiles. Does it sound wrong that I miss my Sprites?

I like the D3 screenshots as well, but I have never been a Diablo fan, and I don't think it's appropriate to make such dramatic changes to a sequel's art design. This is clearly not Diablo in style, rather Warcraft identical

Although, the interface and menu designs are still characteristically Diablo, and looking very good although I'd still tone down the colours.

made

Arcane
He's not responsible for the art design, is he? Story/world-design afaik. Leo ftw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom