Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DO NOT FUCKING BUY ANYTHING FROM GOG

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLLOLL IF YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY JUST WALK OUT OF THE STORE WITH YOUR GROCERIES LOOLLOOOLLOL THE DIRTY MEXICANS WHO PICK THEM ARE ONLY GETTING TEN CENTS A DAY JUST PAY FOR FRUIT AND VEGGIES PNCE EVERY TEN YEARS LOLLOLLOO

BROS WE GET GAMES FOR FREE BECAUSE WE CAN AND NO ONE DOES ANYTHING ABOUT IT NO JUDGEMENT BROS I HAVE DONE IT TOO BUT LOOLLOLOLOOL ADMIT IT

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
BLOBERT said:
Fuck that, If the money I pay has zero chance to benefit the devs in any way (yeah, it kinda never does unless they're indies using paypal, but you get the drift), I ain't coughing up.

BROS THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF THE BRIANLESS PIRATE I HAVE POSTED ABOT BEFOR

IF YOU WANT FREE SHIT JST SAY SO DONT MAKE A WHINY CRYING TEENAGE GIRL JUSTIFICATION TOO BAD MY BRO SKYWAY CRIES LIKE A LITTLE GIRL ON THIS ISSUE TOO

BROS EVERYONE LIKES FREE SHIT BT THE WHOLE CRUSADER FOR FREEDOM ACT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A CUNT
Reading comprehensions problems, as usual, BLOBERT? He wrote a justification for buying games not for getting them for free.

Claw said:
Excidium said:
The thing is, the only reason to buy something that is readily available for free is to support the people that worked on the product but in most cases the developers don't get a single penny from gog sales.
Unlike with piracy, where in all cases the developers don't get a single penny. I understand GoG.com has an agreement with Jochen Hamma, one of the founders of attic for instance. So if you buy a Realms of Arkania game on GoG, he gets a cut. If you pirate it, he gets nothing.
It would be nice if someone would compile a list of such games so that some of the pirates would have a justification for adding them to their GOG shelf.

Claw said:
Besides, I do have a small hope that publishers see the value in classic titles and in the oldschool market.
They already do. That's why we got such oldshool classics true to the essence of the originals as Fallout 3, XCOM and Syndicate :) .

toro said:
I think Steam is much worse than GoG. The pricing policy (€=$), the spam with shitty indie games and the hidden DRM. At least GoG is selling whatever was good at some point in time, where Steam is just a growing pile of shit.
A €=$=PLN pricing policy would be awesome.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
So I need to pay GoG, the shittiest shop out there that sells nothing but what we already have / nobody else wants to sell (due to it being abandonware), to get abandonware for free?

Lawl

Or maybe they will make bydlo happy with another scene crack included into the game (or "DRM-Free" in GoG speak)?

Wait, wut? You honestly believe every game on gog is abandonware? When does a game become abandonware in your opinion?

Take the current DnD pack that's on special - you think those games are all abandonware? :retarded:

Sure, most of us here may already own a lot of these games, but at least gog's making previously unavailable (or legally hard to get) games available for those that don't.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
micmu said:
Cassidy said:
Will the cut go to the original developers or to Bethesda? I think this question is very important too, and I'm afraid the answer is the latter.
Most of it would go to business fucks at GaG, the rest definitely not to original developers who were actually making the game. They were employees once. Now they're not. Not even companies themselves exist and IP is at someone else who had nothing to do with the game, just bought the IP as companies died, and who now gets all the cut. Such is business with IP rights.
If anyone gets the money, it's either HervePlay or Betshitsda. Who is worse and why?

You know that the companies that hold the IP's, Bethesda and GoG all have actual people working for them right? Human beings with families, mortages and mouths to feed. What the fuck difference does it make if they're not the actual humans who made the game?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
AlaCarcuss said:
micmu said:
Cassidy said:
Will the cut go to the original developers or to Bethesda? I think this question is very important too, and I'm afraid the answer is the latter.
Most of it would go to business fucks at GaG, the rest definitely not to original developers who were actually making the game. They were employees once. Now they're not. Not even companies themselves exist and IP is at someone else who had nothing to do with the game, just bought the IP as companies died, and who now gets all the cut. Such is business with IP rights.
If anyone gets the money, it's either HervePlay or Betshitsda. Who is worse and why?

You know that the companies that hold the IP's, Bethesda and GoG all have actual people working for them right? Human beings with families, mortages and mouths to feed. What the fuck difference does it make if they're not the actual humans who made the game?
The difference is that they don't contribute to creation of our culture. There are other people who actually fund stuff that is being made for us now or make such stuff. Taking in account that the amount of money to spend on culture is limited, it is reasonable to spend it on the latter, not on the first.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I dont know whats wrong with the site, Skyway. You pay and then download the game - play. Fair and simple in my opinion. Better deal then steam.
But i have to agree on some older games being pretty much abandonware. Would not buy something like Ultima or MoO2 or oldergames. Very few games of hot interest there (older then 1997) and i mostly got them all from GoG already.

TripJack

Hedonist
Trash said:
Skate-Stores-Looted-in-UK-Riots-01.jpg

lololol thats true bro software piracy = looting
:dance:

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
whats with the bitching?

I'd rather throw money at gameplay concepts of old even if decliners get the money.

Broseidon

Educated
This is an issue of capitalism. I'm not educated in economics as will be painfully obvious by my observation here, but there is a split between people who have a hardline view of investments and the system that enforces them and those who have a soft view or are completely against it. Both sides appear reasonable. We can't have a guerrilla economy where people don't respect the rules and rights to property, but software is not tangible. At some point data should become public domain.

Thank you for that short but brilliant assessment, Captain Obvious.

You're welcome.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
I am sure if those games were on steam instead you would allready have all GoG's catolague

Multi-headed Cow

If all GoG's games were on Steam I would have so many more Steam games let me tell you. Like this current D&D sale? I'd be all over that if it was Steam priced, as in $10 for the whole thing.

And on Steam of course.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
"Woah! Calm down! What's gotten into you..?"

You lean over and pat the proud cockatrice on the neck, wondering what could have possibly caused the normally reserved beast to act up. You could barely stay on through the bucking and prancing, even with the specialized riding gear holding you in place!

Another voice calls out, riding around the bend, "Sorry about that. I didn't mean to cause any trouble for you. Sounds like you almost fell off! It's my girl here. She's in season, and you know how these things are! Smell each other a mile away, I swear.." The rider waves as he pushes his mount past you, shaking his head at your cockatrice's obvious attraction to his, as he rides out of view.

Your mount bucks again, falling halfway off before you grip the holsters, stopping your decent quickly. You decide it best to dismount fully as you drop to your feet, rubbing your face at the near fall and how unmanageable your cockatrice is being. Your feathered mount nudges his strong hips into you with a grunt, almost throwing you off balance. You push back and try to calm him down, patting his side first, then running your hand over the thick, leathery wing. As you moved around the front of the cockatrice, you notice the glare he seems to be giving you. The green eyes looked harsh under the crest of red and blue feathers. Moving around to the other side in your quest to calm the large male, you notice a fully extended and dropped shaft between his legs.

You've never seen a cockatrice's shaft before, and are instantly surprised by how amazingly textured it is. Without feeling the least bit embarrassed, you move closer, finding the small frills along the ridged tip to be tantalizing, but not nearly so much as the small nubs that line the length of the cock. You reach out and feel small, soft scales along the underside of it, just out of view.

The cockatrice looks back at you with his intelligent eyes, as if impatiently telling you that he's definitely in need...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ruprekt said:
Divine Divinity was worth buying on GoG. There is a relationship with the developer and a new patch.

The fuck!

I demand a diff.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Seriously Divine Divinity was one of the best purchases I made last year. Very good game. Its sequel while heavily praised here is far from being as good as original.

Also tried Outcast for first time this year. I can see a good game hiding there but controls are very annoying, plus I hate all the stupid names they have for everything. Also waiting 10+ seconds for a save is aggravating and I cant force myself to keep on playing this game past the first "island"

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
SCO said:
Ruprekt said:
Divine Divinity was worth buying on GoG. There is a relationship with the developer and a new patch.

The fuck!

I demand a diff.

It's true. They actually released DD in an unplayable state over GOG. Great rage ensued. Then Larian patched it, fixing a great deal of bugs and adding new resolutions, then proceeded to lose the patch code. :lol:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102668- ... inued.html

So the other big thing that kept me busy was Divine Divinity – we re-released it some time ago on good old games, taking the opportunity to fix some bugs in it and had the plan to do even more updates on it, but unfortunately the programmer who was working on it left the company, shortly after the re-release and ever since there literally wasn’t any time for getting somebody else back into the code. This sucked, but it was one of those priority decision things and we had other issues to deal with that affected many more people. But now that there actually is some time to look at it, we decided to revisit it.

Imagine then the unpleasant surprise when we discovered that we somehow managed to lose all the changes he made to the code !!! What looks like a fairly ok backup policy turned into an epic fail when we saw that one of the discs that had a big label on it (sort of) “Divine Divinity GOG masters” contained not the 2009 release but the 2002 release. You couldn’t see it from the contents of the disc because the dates were all ok, but that was only because the 2002 files had been recompiled. The actual changes weren’t in the code that was on the disc ☹

made

Arcane
So the patch is actually not available to owners of the original game, who paid good money for it and supported the devs when it actually mattered? Instead, they're expected to buy the patch on GOG for 6 bucks. Hehe.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, there was some drama on the Larian forums back when the gog-exclusive patch was released.

DaveO

Erudite
Larian "lost" the source code for the new patch when they realized people would be stupid enough to pay for an exclusive patch. I've read on the forums that the new patch also messes up the soundtrack of the game, so the choice is either a "patch" where you don't get all the music or the original where you get some bugs.

BLOBERT said:
BROS EVERYONE LIKES FREE SHIT BT THE WHOLE CRUSADER FOR FREEDOM ACT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A CUNT

So true. Pirate shit all you want and for whatever reasons but don't act fucking proud of it. Looks really stupid.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
"Woah! Calm down! What's gotten into you..?"

You lean over and pat the proud cockatrice on the neck, wondering what could have possibly caused the normally reserved beast to act up. You could barely stay on through the bucking and prancing, even with the specialized riding gear holding you in place!

Another voice calls out, riding around the bend, "Sorry about that. I didn't mean to cause any trouble for you. Sounds like you almost fell off! It's my girl here. She's in season, and you know how these things are! Smell each other a mile away, I swear.." The rider waves as he pushes his mount past you, shaking his head at your cockatrice's obvious attraction to his, as he rides out of view.

Your mount bucks again, falling halfway off before you grip the holsters, stopping your decent quickly. You decide it best to dismount fully as you drop to your feet, rubbing your face at the near fall and how unmanageable your cockatrice is being. Your feathered mount nudges his strong hips into you with a grunt, almost throwing you off balance. You push back and try to calm him down, patting his side first, then running your hand over the thick, leathery wing. As you moved around the front of the cockatrice, you notice the glare he seems to be giving you. The green eyes looked harsh under the crest of red and blue feathers. Moving around to the other side in your quest to calm the large male, you notice a fully extended and dropped shaft between his legs.

You've never seen a cockatrice's shaft before, and are instantly surprised by how amazingly textured it is. Without feeling the least bit embarrassed, you move closer, finding the small frills along the ridged tip to be tantalizing, but not nearly so much as the small nubs that line the length of the cock. You reach out and feel small, soft scales along the underside of it, just out of view.

The cockatrice looks back at you with his intelligent eyes, as if impatiently telling you that he's definitely in need...

AoW1_Heroes_80x100_Human_LeaderMale03.jpg

catfood

AGAIN
Luzur said:
why should i shell out cash for games i would not even be able to dust off every 10 years?

FFS

You can scan them for viruses every now and then if that makes you feel better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom