Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Dominions 6 - Rise of the Pantokrator: The New Decline a.k.a ProfessionalThroneSitters MP Match (Ongoing!)

In what age should we play?

• Early Age

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Middle Age

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Late Age

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
And nobody has any idea wtf is going underground, beyond the reports sent to the thread. Haven't literally sent a single scout down there.
I sent one but without darkvision he hit every dead-end and reached Abysia just in time to miss completely the war with Pyrene.

Edit : meant Agartha, not Abysia.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Agartha has beaten Pyrene and is currently mopping up the remnants, its next target will be probably Sauro or Ulm since both nations share all cave entry points. Unless some fancy diplo is going on and something entirely different happens.

I'd say your recon is partially correct, but partial. Also I do have other targets other than Sauro and Ulm, and some are juicier than others. Peculiarities of being Agartha, I guess.

I have not *exactly* beaten Pyrene, it's more like.... dunnow, it has been one of the weirdest wars I've ever been in. Maybe I'll do a postmortem.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Catacombs I really didn't think you were that weak so I was extra cautious in cold dominion and it was the first game in years for me. Would have steamrolled you earlier :D Did you have significant expansion losses?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Did you have significant expansion losses?
Not really. I tried to play things neutral when I should have expanded more aggressively. I also messed up with my pretender by using one that didn't awaken until way late into the game.

Tanaka

Educated
Agartha has beaten Pyrene and is currently mopping up the remnants, its next target will be probably Sauro or Ulm since both nations share all cave entry points. Unless some fancy diplo is going on and something entirely different happens.
Good luck against 200 Great Ulms! Haha

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Ouch!
1710886158500.png

I just recently did this in another game. "yeah I can kill monolith and chaff, whatevs"
>didn't see Watchers in scouting report

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The monolith is always the lesser issue, the watchers are brutal, I've seen provinces with 60 of those...

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Indeed, I scouted this on turn 3 or 4 and totally forgot about the watchers.

:negative:

Edit: Lesson is that resistance blesses (esp. Lightning) is quite valuable and cheap.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Always attack-retreat Throne provinces. Learned that too the hard way. :negative:

At last the Great Army of Pyrene tried to engage a similarly-sized opponent. With his God dead and its blessing significantly blunted, the results were a given.

OP2rVo7.jpeg

The Jentils escaped, and I do not doubt they will continue to cause havoc until they impact in a Elemental or Olm hunting party, or they simply desert. Still have a shitton of cleanup to do but I guess this is the decisive battle for the Underground: it's not particularly interesting to watch as it's simply a bunch of troops running straight into massed Evocations/Maws of the Earth and then the survivors getting Elemental'ed to death.

That said, I have a postmortem on the Great Pyrene/Agartha conflict: what the fuck.

Pyrene took a hellbless. Invuln/Blur/Reinvig/Heroism, terrible scales but whatever, it's a functional hellbless and it works on Brebyx Guards and Jentils make for serviceable (if expensive) Thug chassis and Pyrene got a good deathstack of them. Also Awake God, decent chassis for thugging/minor SC work.

I took a scale build, and bet that Pyrene would not come barreling towards me.

In my complete hubris, I even declared war first. I wholeheartedly hoped that Pyrene would split his stack and attack, I pretty much built two forts to bait him to fight inside my Dominion to avoid his Cold2 Dominion and exploit -MR and -morale. I waited and waited and, as Kavafis said, the barbarians never came. I honestly do not understand why he didn't push and push while he had the advantage and let me reach all my research goals and even let me push towards his capital and murder his God while sieging one of my border forts.

IMHO, a Decisive Battle before I got my research engine and mage phalanxes on-line would have been a better option. And of course, after I got Earthquake online any underground battle between stacks is going to be risky as hell. I do not want to be bothersome or anything, Tanaka , but I was at time genuinely puzzled as fuck about your plans: you had better options and chances than you probably thought at the beginning of our war.

Tanaka

Educated
Always attack-retreat Throne provinces. Learned that too the hard way. :negative:

At last the Great Army of Pyrene tried to engage a similarly-sized opponent. With his God dead and its blessing significantly blunted, the results were a given.

OP2rVo7.jpeg

The Jentils escaped, and I do not doubt they will continue to cause havoc until they impact in a Elemental or Olm hunting party, or they simply desert. Still have a shitton of cleanup to do but I guess this is the decisive battle for the Underground: it's not particularly interesting to watch as it's simply a bunch of troops running straight into massed Evocations/Maws of the Earth and then the survivors getting Elemental'ed to death.

That said, I have a postmortem on the Great Pyrene/Agartha conflict: what the fuck.

Pyrene took a hellbless. Invuln/Blur/Reinvig/Heroism, terrible scales but whatever, it's a functional hellbless and it works on Brebyx Guards and Jentils make for serviceable (if expensive) Thug chassis and Pyrene got a good deathstack of them. Also Awake God, decent chassis for thugging/minor SC work.

I took a scale build, and bet that Pyrene would not come barreling towards me.

In my complete hubris, I even declared war first. I wholeheartedly hoped that Pyrene would split his stack and attack, I pretty much built two forts to bait him to fight inside my Dominion to avoid his Cold2 Dominion and exploit -MR and -morale. I waited and waited and, as Kavafis said, the barbarians never came. I honestly do not understand why he didn't push and push while he had the advantage and let me reach all my research goals and even let me push towards his capital and murder his God while sieging one of my border forts.

IMHO, a Decisive Battle before I got my research engine and mage phalanxes on-line would have been a better option. And of course, after I got Earthquake online any underground battle between stacks is going to be risky as hell. I do not want to be bothersome or anything, Tanaka , but I was at time genuinely puzzled as fuck about your plans: you had better options and chances than you probably thought at the beginning of our war.
Haha yeah I was very disappointed we were stuck in a cave together and you declared war so fast. I was not really interested in a cave war. So at that point I just wanted to create chaos and make you pay. I did not take your bait no. In the end I was hoping to draw you away from my cap but you did not fall for that either so after losing my Pretender I decided to go full on scorched earth policy. Destroyed one of your forts and was hoping to destroy another but you were waiting for me. I was not really interested in a decisive battle until I was able to arm my Cyclops but you went to war so fast I was never able to. You were quite right to be puzzled because I play very unpredictable. Do not seek logic in the way I play haha. More for fun I don't really expect to win.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Which is the best Dominions?
The friends you make along the way

(Seriously, though, they're like a single, continually upgraded and expanded game, with fairly few functionalities being dropped, so you can rarely go wrong picking the newest one)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn looking at that I understand what Malakal was saying during pre-game, Ubar is strong and is big trouble anywhere past early game

Ethereal Sacreds and with defensive bless here they just don't die

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Damn looking at that I understand what Malakal was saying during pre-game, Ubar is strong and is big trouble anywhere past early game

Hit your local Ulm for unlimited salt, cheap! Give every commander salt, recruit scouts to give them salt!

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'm frankly amazed TC is holding up still against three players at once. I only have a partial view of the conflict, but it speaks volumes about Johannes ' skills.

Or maybe it's just me and I'm easily impressed.

Johannes

Arcane
I'm frankly amazed TC is holding up still against three players at once. I only have a partial view of the conflict, but it speaks volumes about Johannes ' skills.

Or maybe it's just me and I'm easily impressed.
I'm not impressed at least, with proper play I could be dominating instead of holding up.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

I guess my battle scripting was successful and the chaff took all the hits before the shocktroopers attacked.
Ubar is strong indeed but also one-dimensional. All my good units are cap-only, expensive and I have no readily accessible national summons so all I can do is recruiting a couple each turns, pad with gryphons or such and hope I don't lose one stupidly. Furthermore, all they've been doing up to now is cutting through heaps of regular troops. When a real counter comes battles may turn differently.
I'd say up to now the biggest strength of Ubar has been mobility. Lots of stealthy and/or flying units gave me the opportunity to easily harass T'ien Chi and move out of the way quickly when the counter-strike fell.

I'm not impressed at least, with proper play I could be dominating instead of holding up.
I still don't understand why you didn't besieged Ubar when you had first the opportunity to do so. The time you gave me while you were busy roaming the country was all I needed to recover from my fort loss and set up a new stack.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've heard someone complain about the AI not casting spells like Breath of Winter that will put your own units to sleep. Good news! Not only will mages cast this, they'll do it off script, for no reason other than to sabotage your own army.

nq1qZoj.png

Not depicted: The dozen mindblasters that walked in afterwards, but after paralyzing him, decided to run up and melee him for no apparent reason. Bravo.

In other news, I give up. TC can have all the land. You're all fucked and there's nothing we can do. Ho-Mo is the chosen one, seeing through the matrix and cannot be harmed by us mere pawns of fate. I await the day he teleports onto my capital with an amulet of water breathing to finish me off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom