Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dracula 4 - The Shadow Of The Dragon

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
woah, wtf is this shit? I just wiki'ed this game series and the first two games have a 1/10 and 2/10 respectively. Are those games really bad?

Yes.

A user named cat

This game is okay I guess, certainly not as good as I had hoped. Obviously low budget, environmental animations look like gifs, lip syncing is lazily done and the music slightly skips/stutters whenever you do something that interrupts it. Thankfully it doesn't seem to play much though.

There's not enough world interraction and very few things you can "look" at or "describe" so it feels like playing a hidden object game with a bunch of mini-puzzles. My biggest beef with the game really. The static art certainly looks nice but you either end up clicking everywhere searching for gold or turning on derp mode which displays icons over the very few areas you can click. You seem to have a health bar too with food and meds to replinish. Not far enough yet but I believe it works almost like a timer since your character is dying.

Not much else to say. Grab a torrent if you're bored enough. Maybe it picks up further in. Certainly a dull first hour or so.

A user named cat

Game is getting tiresome. One tedious slide puzzle (the worst shit in adventure games) after another now with tidbits of story sprinkled in that hasn't become remotely interesting yet. Not really into Myst-likes so this isn't my cup of tea. Going to have to muster some man juices to plow ahead.

A user named cat

Yeah they are the worst. I spent almost 30 minutes on one, then not even a minute later, I ran into another down inside a tomb. I couldn't believe it. Did I mention this game has a achievement trophy system and you get XP point pop-ups for each puzzle solved? This almost belongs on Big Fish Games. This shit is less of an adventure and more of a puzzle jamboree. I went back to playing some Kyrandia and couldn't be happier. I blame Jaesun for all of this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Maybe adventure games are not for you? Thiaf seemed more to your liking.

I don't like Myst therefore I don't like adventure games? Come on, now.

I like story and inventory puzzles like Monkey Island rather than actual puzzle machinery and shit like in Myst. Pretty simple to understand, I would hope. Hearing this called a Myst-a-like means I lost all interest, interest I barely had anyway since I played the original and it was terrible.

It does look pretty though.

A user named cat

I'm not a big fan of Myst-like games either unless they fun puzzles or something to draw you in. This game didn't have much atmosphere or anything interesting after a few hours. All the inventory objects you pick up have much too obvious uses, so it really boiled down to playing lame mini-games. Maybe there's a confrontation with Dracula later in? Don't know, deleted it and moved on. Plenty other better adventures to play.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For a good recent Myst-like, I recommend ASA: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/asa-a-space-adventure.80342/

Also Myst is the pinnacle of adventure games to me. Most of the Myst-like are p. crappy, true (and so are most point-and-clicks), but disliking Myst itself is something I can never get behind. All LucasArts games are inferior popamoles compared to Myst, in my view, but maybe that's just me.

(Nobody can deny LA games are popamole though :P Sierra games are so much better.)

A user named cat

LucasArts had better charm and quirky characters, Sierra had better everything else.

A user named cat

No, this was my first. I was expecting something like Dark Fall and such, given the subject matter and look of the game. Just not very fun - at least up to the point that I quit - unless you have a slide puzzle fetish and barely interractive world.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Geez, this was fucking short. Really, really, short. Very disappointing and crappy puzzles. But Dracula 5 is "coming soon". Hurray.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
^ It's true that most gaming 'journalists' are not fit to review, or write about proper adventure games.

However, it's also true that the Dracula games are pretty persistently mediocre. Not 1/10 certainly, but nothing to write home about.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh hey, look, the Dracula games are now available on GOG:

Dracula 1-3, $9.99

Dracula 4, $19.99

Too bad Dracula 4 doesn't sound like it's worth the price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dracula 3 I really liked (it has it's flaws though) but the overall experience was great. Never played 1 or 2.

trustno1code

Prophet
Oh hey, look, the Dracula games are now available on GOG:

Dracula 1-3, $9.99

Dracula 4, $19.99

Too bad Dracula 4 doesn't sound like it's worth the price.

Maybe not, but GOG is also saying that if you purchase Dracula 4 in the next five days, you will get the trilogy for free. That may be worthwhile for those of us that haven't played any of the series.

http://af.gog.com/news/release_dracula_4_shadow_of_the_dragon?as=1649904300
If somebody had missed it, they've extended that offer... for like a month or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom