Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age 2 is better than Dragon Age Origins

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Alexandros said:
I tried to tell you back then that DA2 is not nearly as bad as people think.
It's worse.

DA:O tried at least, even if it was retarded. DA2 were just the result of the realization that a. Bioware is incompetent and b. the people like shit.

RPGMaster

Savant
DA2 starts out retarded with the godmode completely useless opening scene, it then settles down into typical BioWare mediocre shit, then it wears on your soul like a Videodrome cancer thing and OMG it becomes uber shit. And that's before the ending which is ultimate shit.

I'd rather play DA:O 100 times in a row romancing Alistair the Fuckwit than play DA2 again.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished act 2. The hp bloat is starting to get worse, but it's still bearable. I'm playing on hard, and good tactics actually pay off so that was a nice surprise. The combat is all around much better than DA:O (though I'm still butthurt about the dumbed down mages), and the skill system allows for quite a few combinations. Doubt I'll get in the standard Skyway 7 play-throughs but it might be good for 1 or 2 more. Pity about the mostly generic encounters and shitty characters though. Hopefully I'll find Isabella again so I can slit her fucking throat for running off with the damn book. :rage:

Darkforge

Augur
The first dragon age is ok once you add some mod's to the mix.

The sequel however, I couldn't even stomach the 2nd act. It's fucking garbage...

The second DA has a better story than the first one. Both have you fighting endless hordes of high-hp enemies.

The DA games are some of the most tired RPG's I have ever played.

attackfighter

Magister
Infinitron said:
I happen to have also recently finished this game. DA2's Kirkwall feels like a rushed attempt to imitate Witcher's Vizima, or even BG2's Athkatla. Or maybe one of the cities in the GTA games.
It's obvious that Bioware had a large writing team for this game, but not enough of everything else. There's just enough to do in this game besides explore the same corridors again and again, loot crates and pop moles, with stereotypical Bioware cutscenes in between. It's not so much stupid as it is not fun.
Verdict: Bioware's worst game since the NWN OC.

Literally everything about Dragon Age is an attempt to rip of The Witcher.

The Witcher has downtrodden elves, pogroms, etc.
So does Dragon Age.

The Witcher has Nilgard, a large foreign Empire that's out of place amidst a bunch of Saxon-like feudal kingdoms.
Dragon Age has Telvinter Imperium, same thing.

The Witcher has an order of monster hunters founded to protect humanity against the monsters that assail it (Witchers obviously).
Dragon Age too has such an order: Gay Wardens.

I bet Gayder read one of the Witcher books and figured that since it was foreign and in non-videogame format (at the time) none of his target audience would be familiar with it and that it would be safe to rip-off.

attackfighter said:
Infinitron said:
I happen to have also recently finished this game. DA2's Kirkwall feels like a rushed attempt to imitate Witcher's Vizima, or even BG2's Athkatla. Or maybe one of the cities in the GTA games.
It's obvious that Bioware had a large writing team for this game, but not enough of everything else. There's just enough to do in this game besides explore the same corridors again and again, loot crates and pop moles, with stereotypical Bioware cutscenes in between. It's not so much stupid as it is not fun.

So does Dragon Age.

The Witcher has Nilgard, a large foreign Empire that's out of place amidst a bunch of Saxon-like feudal kingdoms.

The Witcher has an order of monster hunters founded to protect humanity against the monsters that assail it (Witchers obviously).

I bet Gayder read one of the Witcher books and figured that since it was foreign and in non-videogame format (at the time) none of his target audience would be familiar with it and that it would be safe to rip-off.

for sure gayder read spakowskis shitty novels some 7 years ago when he started his work on thedas :smug:

kodeks you never changes :M

attackfighter

Magister
meanwhileInPoland said:
attackfighter said:
Infinitron said:

So does Dragon Age.

for sure gayder read spakowskis shitty novels some 7 years ago when he started his work on thedas :smug:

kodeks you never changes :M

He may have done some outlines 7 years ago or something, but that doesn't mean he couldn't add or change stuff later on.

fucking witchers saga was not even in english until 2009 and thats only the first book

gayder himself admitted he was "inspired"( ctrl+c/ctrl+v ) by martins song of ice and fire. did he even played first witcher?

come on its fucking fantasy setting :roll: elven slaves and poverty might be fresh in fucking 80` not in XXI century :lol: and dont even get started with fucking tevinter empire. its clearly twisted byzantine empire u moron not nilfgaard that u dont even visit in witcher games.

fucking sapkowski the last messiah of fantasy novels :salute:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Please.

Witcher - 2007
EA's acquisition of Bioware - 2007
DA - 2009

Plenty of time to change things.

Oh, btw, change things they did. Dragon Age was so different back in 2004. http://pc.ign.com/articles/514/514514p1.html

Although set against a traditional fantasy backdrop, BioWare is hoping to do something a little different with Dragon Age, and the world won't be inhabited by Dwarves, Elves and Halflings -- although it will be filled with Dwarf-like, Elf-like and Halfling-like races.

attackfighter

Magister
meanwhileInPoland said:
come on its fucking fantasy setting :roll: elven slaves and poverty might be fresh in fucking 80` not in XXI century :lol:

Actually I remember them hyping up the elven ghetto stuff as being edgy, mold breaking material back before DA1 was released. In fact they did that for most of the gritty bits.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I think it was more-so EA telling Bioware to copy the Witcher's success rather than Gaider reading random Sapkowski. Suddenly grimdark and slavery everywhere.

Mangoose said:
Please.

Witcher - 2007
EA's acquisition of Bioware - 2007
DA - 2009

Plenty of time to change things.

Oh, btw, change things they did. Dragon Age was so different back in 2004. http://pc.ign.com/articles/514/514514p1.html

Although set against a traditional fantasy backdrop, BioWare is hoping to do something a little different with Dragon Age, and the world won't be inhabited by Dwarves, Elves and Halflings -- although it will be filled with Dwarf-like, Elf-like and Halfling-like races.

reading is hard? u just quoted article saying bioware already in 2004 wanted dragon age to be a bit different fantasy setting. 3 years before witcher first game , 5 years before gaider could even read sapkowskis saga. what changes were made? u even had battle at ostagara in 2004 demo u moron.

Actually I remember them hyping up the elven ghetto stuff as being edgy, mold breaking material back before DA1 was released. In fact they did that for most of the gritty bits.

no they didnt. they realeased so many trailers- npc trailers,location trailers every single origins trailer cause da was fucking 6 months delayed. the most popular trailer - cgi sacred ashes has no ghetto stuff. grim and dark was part of promotion as was "new shitt" and killing dragon stuff with overgrown two handed swords :smug:

I think it was more-so EA telling Bioware to copy the Witcher's success rather than Gaider reading random Sapkowski. Suddenly grimdark and slavery everywhere.

what fucking success? 1mln sold copies is succes? fuck no. maybe for small polish team but i bet my ass if origins sold 1 mln instead of 4 this would be the end of that ip. witcher got good reviews and was biggest and best polish title in 2007 but it was not AAA title. at least not until enhanced edition. to some point they even did not have profesional voice acting in first version.

Mangoose said:
u just quoted article saying bioware already in 2004 wanted dragon age to be a bit different fantasy setting.
Halflings.

what fucking success?
Relative to other story-based RPGs.

halflings. yes. everything is clear now. i must miss the point u are trying to make :(

i am sure ea suits care about other story based rpgs :lol: true cashcows . i wonder if they even heard of drakensang in usa

:smug:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I think DA2 would be slightly easier to stomach if you actually got to explore more of this huge world that was introduced in DAO but no, you're in the same shitty little city jumping over to The Coast, A Basement, A Warehouse, A Cave and back again for the entire game. Everything you do up until the final battle is inconsequential and it's obvious this shit was just crapped out to tide their fan base over until they can pass the kidney stone that'll be DA3.

I can't believe they got people to believe they were trying to make a more focused story/experience when you don't actually do anything noteworthy and you're shoehorned into this "giant conflict" that you aren't directly invested in until it boils over.

What an awful game now I'm mad at it again.

Mangoose said:
meanwhileInPoland said:
i must miss the point u are trying to make :(
Yup.

i am sure ea suits care about other story based rpgs
Gee, I wonder what kind of RPGs Bioware makes.

kind that sells well :smug:

and honestly what about those halflings? thay somehow exclude the grim and dark in the games? ;)
i just dont see uniqueness of witchers setting.take for example martins, eriksons books and gaiders thedas. you have nightswatch - stormwall - grey wardens. all fucking similar cause fantasy is one big fucking cliche.

peace

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom