Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age: Dreadwolf will finally be "fully revealed" in summer 2024

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age: Dreadwolf

https://blog.bioware.com/2023/12/04/dragon-age-day-2023/

[Mark] Dragon Age has always been a franchise about characters. Characters to fall in love with or to learn to loath. Those characters need a place in which to live, to fight, and to love—a place that shapes them and the events they find themselves swept up in. Today we explore the place they call home that forms the stage for everything that you do: Thedas.

Corinne and the Dragon Age: Dreadwolf team have created a game that celebrates the rich and varied past of the franchise while crafting new experiences and stories. It has been incredible to come back to BioWare and see all of the progress they’ve made, and I’m excited for some of that world to be shared with all of you today.

[Corinne] Thank you, Mark! I fondly remember playing each entry in the Dragon Age franchise, being completely immersed and enamored in the world you all had built. It amazes me to be here now, working alongside you and the team, to bring new stories and characters (not to mention a few returning characters) to all of the fans of the franchise. Dragon Age: Dreadwolf is the product of hard work and love. We know how much this world means to all of you, how these experiences stay with you. We want to get it right, so we’ve taken our time.

We’re so excited to join in this celebration of all things Dragon Age and the incredible fandom that surrounds it. Within the dev team, we’ve been eagerly awaiting Dragon Age Day as the enthusiasm, stories, charity, and artwork you share motivates us to be our best and create new experiences for all of you.

To celebrate DA Day, we’re sharing a look at a few of the in-game locations you’ll explore on this new adventure (and perhaps a little more for those who listen closely). The stage is set. The Dread Wolf is ready to make his move.

Oh, and one last thing before I go…

In summer 2024, we’ll be fully revealing Dragon Age: Dreadwolf to you! We honestly can’t wait.

See you all in Thedas,

—Corinne Busche, Game Director & Mark Darrah, Sr Production Advisor​

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In past games, you only got to see a slice of the world. In Origins, it was Ferelden—a land ravaged by war and darkspawn. In II, it was Kirkwall and its locales—festering with corruption and a dark underworld. And in Inquisition, you ventured across much of Orlais—facing down political intrigue as often as combat.

This time, however, much more of Thedas is yours to see. The desolate, beautiful badlands of the Anderfels with curtains of distant mountainous spires. The twisting canals and gleaming towers of Antiva, where Crows may lurk in any shadow. The turquoise seas of Rivain with its rushes of greenery and hardy sea-faring people. And of course, there’s more.

We felt this was best for the tale we wanted to tell this time and we hope you enjoy it as much as we have! It’s allowed us to create many more locations than past games, including both some you’ve longed to go to…and some you’ve never heard of before!

Copying Bethesda's "wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle" approach when Starfield's reception has shown that has fallen out of favor. Considering how long this has been in development, of course it'd already be out of date.

Though it is funny how they ultimately decided on making the exact opposite of what the initally set out to do:

Another former BioWare developer who worked on Joplin called it “some of the best work experiences” they’d ever had. “We were working towards something very cool, a hugely reactive game, smaller in scope than Dragon Age: Inquisition but much larger in player choice, followers, reactivity, and depth,” they said. “I’m sad that game will never get made.”

You’d play as a group of spies in Tevinter Imperium, a wizard-ruled country on the north end of Dragon Age’s main continent, Thedas. The goal was to focus as much as possible on choice and consequence, with smaller areas and fewer fetch quests than Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
falling-asleep-waiting.gif

Devastator

Learned
"In past games, you only got to see a slice of the world." ... "This time, however, much more of Thedas is yours to see."
AfC79o9.png

Welcome to a world where 'more locations' means reskinned backdrops and 'desolate' refers to the game's originality.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Another former BioWare developer who worked on Joplin called it “some of the best work experiences” they’d ever had. “We were working towards something very cool, a hugely reactive game, smaller in scope than Dragon Age: Inquisition but much larger in player choice, followers, reactivity, and depth,” they said. “I’m sad that game will never get made.”

You’d play as a group of spies in Tevinter Imperium, a wizard-ruled country on the north end of Dragon Age’s main continent, Thedas. The goal was to focus as much as possible on choice and consequence, with smaller areas and fewer fetch quests than Dragon Age: Inquisition.]

Knowing that this game could have existed is honestly more depressing than believing that the whole thing was doomed from the start.

ceics

Novice
Patron
All I remember about the previous one was that it was some greenish glowing sh*t. This one looks kinda the same, but with pinkish sh*t. Does that make me some kind of fag?

Drakortha

Liturgist
The font is giving me Blizzard / Mobile game vibes. Very cheap looking and doesn't give the impression we're getting a main entry in the series but instead some spinoff free-to-play mobile shit.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Except Elden Ring did just fine. Starfield lacks quality gameplay or compelling reasons to explore.
Elden Ring is open world but it does not come across to me as anyone would describe it as "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" the same way someone would a Bethesda game. Open worlds certainly haven't fallen out of favor, but the Beth-style has.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've decided I'll be optimistic for this one. I haven't been disappointed by video games in awhile, so this looks a like good opportunity to do just that.
Sounds like they've gotten Liam O'brien on board. That's nice. He can for sure elevate the atmosphere with his performance.

But why the fuck have they stopped on this gay-ass purple shit for a font colour. The purple/pink colours that they've picked look like something a Twitch streamer would choose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom