Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age will change the way BioWare writes party members!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Actually, it won't.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage ... e=previews
Duncan introduces you to another young Grey Warden recruit named Alistair. Alistair is both charming and easygoing and never seems to be short of amusing commentary. I think players will enjoy having him in their parties.
Hi, Jan!
Loghain is a war hero and the leader of the armies of Fereldan. He's a very complex character with deep convictions.
Hi, Carth!
Wynne is a spirit healer from the Circle of Magi, focusing her magic on the ability to briefly summon protective and restorative spirits from the Fade. She has served the Circle for most of her life and is highly regarded within the circle. Players willing to get to know Wynne may eventually discover that Wynne is no ordinary mage.
Long time no see, Aerie.
Sten is a warrior of the Qunari race and has been trained as a soldier since birth (the Qunari are always at war). He's a very stoic and disciplined man with a strong code of honor, so how he treats others depends on whether or not they have his respect, which he doesn't give easily.
I'll be damned if it isn't my old pal, Canderous Ordo! Got any new war stories to share?
Morrigan can indeed be a powerful ally, and I think players will find her shape-shifting abilities a powerful asset in combat. She's power-hungry and selfish, so having her in your party with other members who have more-benevolent agendas and moral codes can result in some "tense" party dynamics. You don't have to have Morrigan in your party, but she does add an awesome dynamic to the player and party relationships.
My eyes must be deceiving me! Viconia!
Morrigan's relationship with her mother, Flemeth, isn't exactly sunshine and rainbows. In fact, Flemeth raised Morrigan to hold the rest of mankind in contempt, hating them for their weaknesses, and taught her to value power above all else. Both women are incredibly strong-willed and are practically more aptly described as rivals rather than family. They each have such a lust for power that you may be shocked at the lengths they'll go to in order to acquire it.
Morrigan, I know that you're a good person deep down. You're so bitter simply because your mother was cruel to you. Come here, and let the power of my love heal your troubled soul.

Talonfire

Scholar
I'm not surprised, Bioware has a disturbing lack of originality. It's surprising how many people don't seem to notice how they copy and paste character and plot elements from their past games repeatedly.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
zcTqHiK8cg80kdfcUR9qQ7VHo1_400.jpg

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Re: Dragon Age will change the way BioWare writes party memb

Hümmelgümpf said:
Wynne is a spirit healer from the Circle of Magi, focusing her magic on the ability to briefly summon protective and restorative spirits from the Fade. She has served the Circle for most of her life and is highly regarded within the circle. Players willing to get to know Wynne may eventually discover that Wynne is no ordinary mage.
Long time no see, Aerie.
Rather Jaheira than Aerie. Anyway, recycling characters is good because it's eko and doesn't contribute to global warming.

Talonfire

Scholar
Screw global warming, I demand fresh and interesting characters. Unfortunately expecting that from Bioware is like expecting a Politician to tell the truth.

Smarts

Scholar
'Originality' is an illusion. It's all been done before. It's the presentation that matters, not the ingredients.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Talonfire said:
I'm not surprised, Bioware has a disturbing lack of originality. It's surprising how many people don't seem to notice how they copy and paste character and plot elements from their past games repeatedly.

Heck, they cut and paste elements repeatedly within a single game. Mass Effect is the first one I've played where I didn't notice them reusing an element or two over and over again within the same game.

mjukglass

Novice
I wouldn't mind if they copy&pasted Minsc into every game they make. At all.

I believe that every game from KOTOR to now Dragon Age would be better from it.

Minsc would probably make more seance in a StarWars world...

Talonfire

Scholar
Smarts said:
'Originality' is an illusion. It's all been done before. It's the presentation that matters, not the ingredients.

Perhaps, but I felt that Knights of the Old Republic II, and Mask of the Betrayer were more original than anything Bioware has ever produced. Originality may be illusion, but Obsidian is apparently a lot better than Bioware at maintaining that illusion.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
I didn't notice them reusing an element or two over and over again within the same game.

Then you were lucky enough to avoid secondary quests where even buildings look the fucking same (including their structure) and even have boxes at the exactly same positions.
Usually Bioware just added their copy-pasta to main storyline so you spent 20 hrs completing the game and now you have the answer why you spent less than 10.

Talonfire said:
Smarts said:

Perhaps, but I felt that Knights of the Old Republic II, and Mask of the Betrayer were more original than anything Bioware has ever produced. Originality may be illusion, but Obsidian is apparently a lot better than Bioware at maintaining that illusion.

It is because other studios don't give full time lead designer positions to shitty fanfic writers.

fastpunk

Arbiter
A shame really. With a bit of ambition, Bioware could make some good games. But why do something different when people and media sing your praise no matter what you release?

NOVD

Scholar
I don't really see the resemblance in a lot of cases, to be honest. The list feels more like

1. Dragon Age character description
2. Someone having a similar party role or a vaguely similar background element from a previous Bioware work.

For instance, take the following quote:
Wynne sounds like a female cleric character. Not all female clerics are like Aerie. What's the similarity here, precisely?

DriacKin

Arbiter
skyway said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
I didn't notice them reusing an element or two over and over again within the same game.

Then you were lucky enough to avoid secondary quests where even buildings look the fucking same (including their structure) and even have boxes at the exactly same positions.
Usually Bioware just added their copy-pasta to main storyline so you spent 20 hrs completing the game and now you have the answer why you spent less than 10.

Talonfire said:
Smarts said:

It is because other studios don't give full time lead designer positions to shitty fanfic writers.

Wait a second...They don't?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Smarts said:

Yes, but some people try to maintain that illusion. Bioware uses find-and-replace function, says it's deep and original, and calls it a day.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Because they are genetically inferior to men and can't be warriors.

It also allows Bioware to give you the opportunity to discover these strong women who studied all their life to master the dark art but after removing a few layers you will discover that under this strong façade they are ony little scared girls who need love to survive in this harsh world.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Why - a woman that isn't a generic spellcaster with generic pussy character - what? That won't please our lifeless target audience wanting our game because of the recycled romances.

DriacKin said:
Wait a second...They don't?

*less shitty studios

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Gragt said:
It also allows Bioware to give you the opportunity to discover these strong women who studied all their life to master the dark art but after removing a few layers you will discover that under this strong façade they are ony little scared girls who need love to survive in this harsh world.

I am delighted that I'm not alone in reading Bioware's women that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom