Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like every other modern Dragon Quest game. Even Call of Duty looks more unique with each release.
Considering the last "modern" DQ was released in 2004 on PS2. (unless you include DQ Builder and DQ Heroes, which aren't RPG but yes, they were done in Unreal Engine 4 too and look like DQ 11)
Well excuse me for being old and considering 2004 modern.
its not about how you perceive if it is modern or not, it is about the time lapsed between them and 14 years is a damn long time, no matter how old you are, 14 years is significant.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam forums for the game say it will unlock at 10am PST / 6pm GMT, which to me translates to 1 pm (here in Florida).

Supposedly there won't be a midnight unlock.

BTW, reading through recent posts on the steam board I learned that apparently the hard mode increases enemy HP, attack and defenses and lowers XP (supposedly). Take that with a grain of salt but it sounds about right to me.

Is hard mode its own difficulty compared to Draconian mode which lets you have difficulty options? iirc some of the options were "stronger monsters" "can't equip armor and accessories" and "can't buy from shops" type restrictions that you could toggle on before starting (and I believe you can toggle them off, but you can't toggle them back on once you start)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Well, that's already more info than I knew! And "hard mode" is just generally referring to the draconian mode/rules.

Curratum

I had some bad experiences with decrypting preloads in the past. I can download at about 7 mb / s, should I just delete the preload and re-download it when it unlocks?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
When you start the game and are naming the MC you can press a button to bring up the Draconian Quest settings.

There's 6 of them:
  • No running away
  • No shopping
  • Can't equip armor/accessories
  • Shypox (which makes the hero randomly lose a turn)
And new to the English version
  • Enemies are stronger
  • Can't get XP from weaker enemies

You can turn off any of the restrictions you turned on at a church, but you cannot turn them back on without starting a new game.

Curratum

I'm surprised the game is winnable without anyone in the party wearing armor or accessories.

Jinn

Arcane
  • Enemies are stronger

I might go for both of these, or maybe just Enemies are Stronger since experience from weaker enemies is usually negligible anyway. The other changes alter the gameplay too much and seem like they are meant for special challenge runs.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Played one hour, confirmed that the music is indeed shit and already becoming an annoyance, especially the combat music, otherwise the game is absolutely gorgeous, the animations, the world, the characters,

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

the guy here which kinda sound not too much of a DQ fans, said the game is easy on normal.
If a noob ish player find it easy then long time DQ player will find it slicing trough butter with a lava knife.
I guess i will play it on hard with the stronger enemies.

Reinhardt

Arcane
When you start the game and are naming the MC you can press a button to bring up the Draconian Quest settings.

There's 6 of them:
  • No running away
  • No shopping
  • Can't equip armor/accessories
  • Shypox (which makes the hero randomly lose a turn)
And new to the English version
  • Enemies are stronger

You can turn off any of the restrictions you turned on at a church, but you cannot turn them back on without starting a new game.
Enemies are stronger and No running away then.
I never run away anyway so it's no brainer.

sser

Arcane
Developer
This game does look really good. I'm debating whether to wait for the Switch version or try it on on PC; kinda curious to see if a Surface Pro could run it, too, as the graphics don't look too straining.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
fucking tuesday releases

in-3-hours-4ml313.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
Unpacking done in 5 minutes. Pre-loading was certainly worth it.

I'll be popping in periodically over the next 12 or so hours to give some impressions, at least of port quality, etc. Got the day off, boys!

Jinn

Arcane
Port is pretty beautiful so far. Absolutely no hiccups, 60FPS, great amount of settings to adjust, and total gamepad support. I think Square-Enix finally did it. Just took the Enix side of things, apparently.

Also, looks like you'll be able to adjust Draconian Quest settings as you go at churches, so that's cool.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Port is pretty beautiful so far. Absolutely no hiccups, 60FPS, great amount of settings to adjust, and total gamepad support. I think Square-Enix finally did it. Just took the Enix side of things, apparently.

Also, looks like you'll be able to adjust Draconian Quest settings as you go at churches, so that's cool.
You can remove Draconian challenges, but you can't add them once you remove them.

Machocruz

Arcane
Movement in combat seems to serve no use. I guess it's there for those who can't stand too much abstraction in their turn based RPG combat...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's everything I wanted so far. The screen tearing is pretty bad tho, had to turn on vsync.

Vorark

Erudite

SE had one job, and one job only: nail the DQ PC launch. Good to hear they delivered!

Can't wait to get home! :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom