Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Dragon Quest

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Humanity has risen! oh god I'm loving the music for DQ 3 SNES thank you for your recommendation.

Fuck you Squenix for not bringing this over to the US. Secret of Mana 2, DQ 3 SNES, Bahamut Lagoon. Bah!

DragoFireheart

Alright, so I made my party to do my first play through!

My Hero character, Erdrick

DQIIIBOX--article_image.jpg

Fighter, Ryu

20080212064049!Ryu-nxcfix.jpg

Fighter Guile

guile-c2.jpg

Cleric Kat
rhea-of-thorolund-large.jpg

mettalhed

Educated
First played DW1 when i was ~10 years old, and i have played all of them at some point in time since then although i've only finished 4 out of 9. Always been a fan of the series even though i find them harder to play now days due to the excessive amount of grind most of them have towards the end game. I still go back to them every now and then and slowly slog my way through building levels, an hour or so at a time. Anyway, just thought i would give my two cents on the series.

DW1 - Thought it was the shit when i first played it all them years ago. Beat it and doubt i'll ever play it again but if you want to check out the whole series its worth a play through.

DW2 - I think of it as an expanded version of 1. You now have two allies who you meet up with well before the 1/2 point of the game, and the world is much bigger. First game that you get a ship and are able to sail around in. Pretty fun and still has charm.

DW3 - Get the translated SNES version. It's the best one like everyone else has said. Only game in the series that you are allowed to create your party. Its a must play.

DW4 - I'm surprised that some people had negative things to say about it. It was always one of my favorites. The first ~1/2 or so of the game takes place in chapters. In each chapter you play as 1-3 characters and work your way through some typical DW quest lines. In one chapter your play a pretty princess who leaves the castle to fight in a tournament. Another chapter has you playing an arms merchant and you have to provide weapons and armor to the king. When you start the 5th chapter is when you play the character whom you named at the start of the game. As you work your way through the story you encounter the characters from the previous chapters and recruit them into your party. You also meet new characters and eventually get a horse and covered wagon with which you can take everyone with you. Only 4 can fight at one time of course, but the characters not in combat still get experience so they don't get too far behind as you progress through the game. There are some exceptions, mainly when exploring some dungeons/towers where it wouldn't be practical to take a horse and wagon. It also has a larger world then the previous games. I would at least give it a shot.

DW5 - All of your allies in this game are monsters which randomly offer to join you after combat. Other then that its a typical DW game. It's certainly not bad but didn't appeal to me like some of the others.

DW6 - Talk about pretty SNES graphics. I would say it rivals FF6. Maybe not better but pretty close. This is another one of my favorites. Huge world. Lots of optional hidden areas. Also introduces the job system which works the same way in DW7. You get abilities as you level up whatever class your playing and can switch classes at anytime. You get to keep learned abilities from one class when you switch to another as well. Gets fun when you get the airship and can fly around the world at your leisure.

DW7 - This along with 4 and 6 are my three favorites. I would say i liked the story in this game more then any of the rest.

Not really spoiling too much of the story but just in case:
Right from the start of the game people talk about how there are no other island/continents except their own and how no one ever comes from anywhere outside their own little landmass. You and your friend discover an ancient ruin and find some pedestals in four rooms at the end. Your friend gives you a shard he found and you place it in one of the pedestals along with a shard you found while exploring the ruin. Upon combining the shards you are transported not just to the past but to another land. After taking care of whatever evil is troubling the locals you are transported back to the present; only to find that the land you just returned from has now reappeared in your time. So you explore the new land, find more shards, place them in another pedestal, wash, rinse, repeat. Eventually the whole land is revealed and you uncover the dastardly plot of the big baddie, go about finding a way to stop him etc...

Huge game like everyone says. I would also agree that the graphics are definitely a put off but after awhile they kind of grow on you. Must play.

DW8 - Played for a couple of hours. Wasn't impressed.

DW9 - Haven't played.

7th Saga is also an awesome SNES game to play made by Squeenix. Highly recommended :)

Agreed. Beautiful graphics. I also love how you can pretty much go anywhere you want after you cross over to that other continent. Can't remember its name but it's right after you get the 3rd rune. You can collect the rest in pretty much any order and that continent is huge.

The US release has some bugged game design...

Not sure how. I finished the game and don't remember having any problems. The only thing they changed that i'm aware of is that they thought the jap release was too easy and made the us version more grindy.

DragoFireheart

mettalhed The way the U.S 7th Saga release worked is if you leveled too much, one of the rivals would be impossible to beat.

DragoFireheart

It's depressing, it makes you think of when the Japanese made real games instead of gimmicky, disgusting moe trite. Even DQ is turning into the same thing.

I feel like fate has cheated me out of those games when I was a kid.

Thankfully the Internet has solutions.

mettalhed

Educated
mettalhed The way the U.S 7th Saga release worked is if you leveled too much, one of the rivals would be impossible to beat.

Never knew that. Glad i didn't run into that bug in any of my play-throughs. I only beat the game twice though so its possible it may have happened one of the many times i started a game but didn't finish.

It's depressing, it makes you think of when the Japanese made real games instead of gimmicky, disgusting moe trite. Even DQ is turning into the same thing.

Haven't played any beyond 8, and i only played that one for a couple of hours. Seemed like a step backward compared to the previous games. I agree with you though, and its not just that, it's like they forgot what made the games fun. The worst offender is Final Fantasy. Hallways, hallways, hallways. Even the towns and dungeons are linear corridors. JRPG's have always been linear, but you still had to navigate your way through dungeons and explore/wander through towns and across the world.

DragoFireheart

Found a VERY nasty bug with the DQ3 version 1.1 Translation.

mettalhed

Educated

Holy shit lol! Have yet to see that on my play-through. I tend to use save states though so i can quit on a whim. Makes is much easier to pick up and play when i've only got 30 mins to an hour or so of free time.

DragoFireheart

Holy shit lol! Have yet to see that on my play-through. I tend to use save states though so i can quit on a whim. Makes is much easier to pick up and play when i've only got 30 mins to an hour or so of free time.

It's only an issue when you do the following:

- Make a save where a non-Hero character is in the lead.
- Try to overwrite a different save with a non-hero character in the lead.

The issue is thankfully easy to avoid.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I like the idea of liking Dragon Quest. It has pretty great monster designs and is overall a pretty charming series in many ways. In the end their downfall, to me, is that they tend to drag on a bit too long and they are pretty grindy which only adds in to the dragginess. What I find odd though is that DQ has a reputation of being a rather basic jRPG series when that couldn't be further from the truth, both gameplay wise and story wise.

One thing I can say is that being a relentless Pokefag as a kid I picked up Dragon Warrior Monsters on a whim and holy shit that game was amazing. To this day not a single Poke game comes even close to being as good as DWM.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've always found DQ to be pretty boring, no matter which of them I tried. It's like Generic JRPG: The Game; I guess that's where the reputation comes from, too.

I wouldn't call it generic because it's not DQ's fault if every other JRPG that came afterwards tried to ape it furiously. And DQ's "personality" is why the fans like it and the...not-fans don't like it.

One thing I can say is that being a relentless Pokefag as a kid I picked up Dragon Warrior Monsters on a whim and holy shit that game was amazing. To this day not a single Poke game comes even close to being as good as DWM.

One downside is that the monsters in DQM are interchangeable. Everyone is able to reach 999 in every stat and have the best moves, in theory.

The grindy aspect was alleviated as the series marched on. I have DQM on my tablet right now, I gain levels relatively fast.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wouldn't call it generic because it's not DQ's fault if every other JRPG that came afterwards tried to ape it furiously. And DQ's "personality" is why the fans like it and the...not-fans don't like it.

Yeah, I guess so. I got into JRPGs only a few years ago, and DQ was one of the last series I tried; I guess that didn't do it any favors, heh.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My issue with the Dragon Quest series is that everything is so slow. Battles, leveling up, you name it. Other than that, I enjoy the series. VIII being my favorite.

DragoFireheart

I've always found DQ to be pretty boring, no matter which of them I tried. It's like Generic JRPG: The Game; I guess that's where the reputation comes from, too.

But they are EXCEPTIONAL Generic JRPG: The Game.

Try Dragon Quest 9 on DS, Crooked Bee, at least you get to build your party and, most of all, you see monsters on the map so no random encounter if you want to avoid them.

DragoFireheart

newtmonkey was the Gameboy Color remake also dumbed down?
From what I understand, the Gameboy Color remakes rebalanced EXP and gold to make it quicker to level.

(For DQ1, I recommend the remakes actually, as the game is basically a several hour grind with little or no strategy whatsoever.)

DQ1: SNES/GBC remakes.
DQ2: NES.
DQ3: SNES remake.

???

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
From what I understand, the Gameboy Color remakes rebalanced EXP and gold to make it quicker to level.

(For DQ1, I recommend the remakes actually, as the game is basically a several hour grind with little or no strategy whatsoever.)

If you mean the GBC remake of DWIII it also has the minimedals, the board game thing, and some post game extra bosses. Not sure which of those features if any were in the original NES game. Without having any actual data, my experience is that the GBC version is easier to play in ters of leveling up, gaining gold, etc. But I haven't played DWIII on the NES since I was a kid in the mid-90s.

Full disclosure, I think the GBC remake is one of the best RPGs of all time -- although DQ9 is probably my favorite game in the series (probably)

m_s0

Arcane

But they are EXCEPTIONAL Generic JRPG: The Game.
I'm with Bee on this one. I've always found it remarkable how unenjoyable and insanely tedious those games are. They really feel like they're deliberately designed to waste your time with endless fucking grinding, shitty repetitive combat, moronic stories (to the point where it's actually impossible to ignore them), abysmal writing/translation etc. Enemy animations tend to be good fun, but they get old really fast. Pretty much the worst that the japanese school of design has to offer in one package and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I regret the time I put into some of them to see what the fuss is/was all about.

So yeah, I guess I'd consider DQ exceptional in that sense.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane

DQ1: SNES/GBC remakes.
DQ2: NES.
DQ3: SNES remake.

???

Seems like a good plan to me! Though I am partial to the NES original of DQ3 as well, I think the remakes add enough stuff that they are worth playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom