Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Dragon Quest

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Finally killed Baramos. What a tough fight!

First time I used Stopspell and Sleep as well. They both actually worked on a boss for once! But what really helped was Barrier: his breath attack was making it tough to heal through it.

And now Zoma came in and cockblocked me...

DragoFireheart

wow, I am starting to regret that I played and completed NES DQ's, because remakes look so much better.

I looked at the NES/GBC DQ3 and looked at the SNES DQ3. It's night and day may. DQ3 for the SNES is glorious.

DragoFireheart

newtmonkey

I'm reconsidering playing DQ2 for the SNES. DQ3 for SNES has been very enjoyable.

Is DQ2 SNES significantly easier than the NES version?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Yes it is. Also the SNES remakes of 1 and 2 look much worse than the remake of 3. Just play the NES one.

I just listened to the fanfare for DQ1 SNES.

:retarded:
From what I've heard the SNES remakes were made a lot easier and the graphical improvements were minor. Here's a link to a review of them though I don't know what the codex thinks of this guy.
http://clanofthegraywolf.com/32/
EDIT: You know what ignore that first line I didn't really remember what I heard about it.

newtmonkey

Arcane
newtmonkey

I'm reconsidering playing DQ2 for the SNES. DQ3 for SNES has been very enjoyable.

Is DQ2 SNES significantly easier than the NES version?

I played only until the point where you get all three members of the party in DQ2 SNES/SFC, and it was indeed significantly easier. Progression was a lot quicker/easier, and I was never really in danger of dying up until that point.

DQ2 is fun enough to explore that it can be enjoyable with braindead combat, but the NES version has a nice balance imo. It's not a tactical game by any means, but a huge part of what makes DQ2 enjoyable is figuring out the most efficient way to take down each type of encounter so that you can get out of each battle with slightly more HPs than you would just smashing A over and over. This means you can survive longer on less resources and is the key to playing through the game without grinding out levels mindlessly.

DQ2 NES is also balanced so that you never have enough gold to buy equipment for all characters. It's fun (for me anyway) figuring out the best gold to damage/defense ratio for equipment, buying what I can afford, and then going on to explore the next area. This way, when you find equipment in chests it really feels like you are much more powerful. Otherwise, it's just a pile of GPs taking up space in your inventory.

I think the balance is shifted a little too much in the SNES remake, and you lose this feeling, which makes random battles annoying and a waste of time, rather than kind of intense and thrilling... and removes a bit of the thrill of exploring dungeons and finding better equipment.

DragoFireheart

Beat DQ3, excellent game. Didn't do the bonus dungeon, might come back to it.

Moved onto DQ5. Monster recruiting system is fun, don't care for the getting married gimmick. Enjoyable otherwise. Order needed hardware to play DQ8. Also bought DQ 4 and 6 (Nintendo DS).

How decent was DQ9? I heard SqaureEnix changed a lot of things compared to the usual formula.

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
They really didn't change anything, just the skill system of 8 is in this one to carry the class system.

A cool feature is that every item you've used through all your favourite games is rendered in 3d on your character!

Asaki

Novice
How decent was DQ9? I heard SqaureEnix changed a lot of things compared to the usual formula.

Monsters are visible and can be avoided, there are a lot more cutscenes (although I suppose 7 had them also), lots of item crafting miniquests...I haven't played 8, so I don't know how much is different from that.

The multiplayer is a lot of fun, though, and the game is pretty inexpensive (especially compared to others in the series). Big Lots had them for $12 for a while, I bought quite a few of them as stocking stuffers.

Haven't beat it on single player yet...I've been trying to solo it (no other party members) and doing a lot of grinding.

Asaki

Novice
I will probably never beat the bonus dungeons in the GBC version, it requires an insane amount of monster medals.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I will probably never beat the bonus dungeons in the GBC version, it requires an insane amount of monster medals.

Its been probably 10 years but I beat the final GBC dungeon. I don't remember it being that bad in terms of getting the medals, but I was in college stuck in a major that I had lost interest in..yadda yadda..hundreds of hours on my GBC..

DragoFireheart

So which ones better for Dragon Quest 1 &2. NES, SNES or GBC?

Go NES.

So I was playing Dragon Quest 8 but stopped after getting the boat. Was starting to get burned out on Dragon Quest. Taking a break for now.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
So which ones better for Dragon Quest 1 &2. NES, SNES or GBC?

Go NES.

So I was playing Dragon Quest 8 but stopped after getting the boat. Was starting to get burned out on Dragon Quest. Taking a break for now.

Dragon Quest 8 seemed really slow to me, and it was hard to really make a great party. My brother got all the way to the final castle but got lost in it and gave up.

Martius

Liturgist
Looks like producer of recent Dragon Quest game would want to localize remake of 7 but it would take whole year. On the other hand 14 years ago Cdprojekt could localize Planescape: Torment in around half a year.
:hmmm:

Martius

Liturgist
I would also assume that Square Enix have access to more resources now than Cdprojekt in 2000. Eh, I guess series will be stuck with smartphones for looooooong time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom