Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress is now fullscreen (+major DFG update)

Mayday

Augur
That's right boys and girls, gone are the days of playing in a 1280x400 box, you can now witness the glory of gouging out elf baby eyes in the whole surface of your 14" display!

Grab the beast right here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Also in the news, my renowned DF graphics pack (temporarily at http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/upload/df.htm ) has seen a major update, with every land creature now possessing a sprite and the interface much cleaner now. I humbly recommend that you try it and post any input (there is a small bug in the current version in which magnetite looks like a '1', there will be an update in a few days).

An now back to creating models for Gareth... sorry for the lateness dude.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Do you know if there's any solid chance of the game ever supporting your 32x 32 object set?

Oh, and thanks for making this, I never would have had the patience to get into this downright amazing game otherwise.

elander_

Arbiter
Great stuff. Looks like i'm going to make another fortress and see it decay and collapse for fun.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Castanova said:
Still waiting for Toady to add some form of challenge besides the whole LARPing-esque "create your own challenge" thing.
I can understand this complaint when people are griping about Oblivion. However, I really can't when they are talking about roguelikes, which are notoriously open ended and traditionally rely on your imagination to have fun with the game.

I'll agree that the game could stand to be a bit more difficult, or at the very least have some sort of settings that influence the hostility of neighbors. But, for a freeware game that isn't even close finished, it's a pretty damned good game. As long as he keeps releasing updates at the steady stream he has been, I don't see what the issue is.

Castanova

Prophet
Kaiserin said:
I can understand this complaint when people are griping about Oblivion. However, I really can't when they are talking about roguelikes, which are notoriously open ended and traditionally rely on your imagination to have fun with the game.

There's a difference between relying on your imagination to make up for the "poor" graphics and relying on your imagination to make up for a deficiency in game design. Most if not just about all RLs have an extremely rigid, well-defined goal as a spine with tons of open-endedness/interactivity built around that. I literally downloaded DF, built a self-contained fortress that same night, and then never had any reason to play again. Without goals or reasonable challenge built into the game mechanics, it's effectively an (impressive) tech demo.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Castanova, how many years did you run your fort for? I thought the trolls and kissing the nobles' asses was the challenge of maintaining the fort. Also you didn't run into the 'end game'?

MisterStone

Arcane
Castanova said:
Kaiserin said:

There's a difference between relying on your imagination to make up for the "poor" graphics and relying on your imagination to make up for a deficiency in game design. Most if not just about all RLs have an extremely rigid, well-defined goal as a spine with tons of open-endedness/interactivity built around that. I literally downloaded DF, built a self-contained fortress that same night, and then never had any reason to play again. Without goals or reasonable challenge built into the game mechanics, it's effectively an (impressive) tech demo.

It should get more interesting, but it will take a long time. Toady likes to do everything procedurally, so he'll have to get armies moving through the world map, and dozens of other features, up and working before there will be serious military threats to the fortress. No doubt there will be plenty of other things that no one has even guess at yet. In the meantime, wysiwyg.

Lemunde

Scholar
Andyman Messiah said:
I thought about making fun of this, but then I decided against it since I really don't care.

I also have nothing to contribute. Just thought everyone should know because I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath to see if I'll say something witty. Oh wait...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Lemunde said:
Andyman Messiah said:
I thought about making fun of this, but then I decided against it since I really don't care.

I also have nothing to contribute. Just thought everyone should know because I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath to see if I'll say something witty. Oh wait...
I'm still not caring, but I guess I better contribute something useful to the thread so I won't get smacked by Lemunde again.

Question: why the fuck would you want to fucking play Dwarf fucking Fortress in fucking fullscreen?

Lemunde

Scholar
Andyman Messiah said:
Lemunde said:
Andyman Messiah said:

I'm still not caring, but I guess I better contribute something useful to the thread so I won't get smacked by Lemunde again.

Question: why the fuck would you want to fucking play Dwarf fucking Fortress in fucking fullscreen?

For fuck's sake.

DefJam101

Arcane
I always make my forts near evil places. Even then it's not very challenging.

Once you get the hang of the game is it far too easy to just contain every crisis before it grows out of hand. Managing your stockpiles and keeping dwarves happy is easy enough. The difficulty appears to (by design) come from when things fuck up in a random disaster. Overpowered traps, drawbridges, etc. prevent this from happening. A greater focus on diplomacy would help the game a lot, as trade and wars feel far too static.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
You can see more objects on screen at a time.

I think that stone fall traps should be taken out of the game entirely or seriously nerfed BTW. But hell, lots of stuff needs to change. It's a work in progress, and I can't say that I entirely disagree with the idea of an impressive tech demo.

Still, I'm really glad that people are out there making games like this.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Lemunde said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Lemunde said:
Andyman Messiah said:

For fuck's sake.
I didn't realize Dwarf Fortress was so vulgar.

I'm going to guess that there is some kind of skin out there that makes it prettier, but I still can't imagine it'd be any better than looking at a black screen covered with white letters. Can it really be anything but not-pretty and crappy looking at fullscreen resolution?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Obviously, but the game is turnbased so you can take your time. You don't need to see the whole map. There won't be any moments when you suddenly decide to scroll down and you see like "oh shit, those elephants are gonna tank rush me! where the fuck are my guys?! all the fucking way up there?!! shit!! gotta scroll up!! gotta scroll down!! why is there not a fullscreen mod for this fucking game! hurry, my dwarves! hurry, before the elephants blow up the whole alphabet!"

Lemunde

Scholar
Andyman Messiah said:
Obviously, but the game is turnbased so you can take your time. You don't need to see the whole map. There won't be any moments when you suddenly decide to scroll down and you see like "oh shit, those elephants are gonna tank rush me! where the fuck are my guys?! all the fucking way up there?!! shit!! gotta scroll up!! gotta scroll down!! why is there not a fullscreen mod for this fucking game! hurry, my dwarves! hurry, before the elephants blow up the whole alphabet!"

So you're saying being able to see less is better? And besides you obviously haven't tried the tileset mentioned in the first post that mostly eliminates the ascii effect. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/ ... -54-75.jpg

BillyOgawa

Scholar
It's easier to plan out the fortress with a larger viewing area.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom