Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA/Mythic Entertainment mount Ultima's corpse so they can kill it again

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bioware said:
jtan+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+254+at+_3407204a9d51c43e6918db2e92228a69.jpg

Bioware Mythic. So a straight-to-F2P mmorpg. I guess they learned their lesson from TORtanic. Except the actual game will probably be even shittier than WAR/TOR. Also, more likely to rape the IP than Star Wars/Warhammer since no external company controls the IP rights.

So let's ask Wikipedia what the studio has released in the past?

Yeah...

That's an impressive pedigree of decline.

Wow, I had no idea they'd been around in some form since the 80's.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Sweet. Ultima 4Eva is gonna be full of uguu's.
I hope Lady British has pink hair.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hopefully it follows the path of TORtanic and brings them one step closer to... oblivion.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
Let's suck our innards back in and rage on in a relaxed manner, this ain't so bad.
I can see this having a positive revitalizing effect on the ultima community and mod projects, and we'd already be part of this backlash now. Compare with the situation after Ultima IX or Gothic 3. Ideas can't be raped.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This whole project is just so disheartening. It is the antithesis (design, structure, combat, etc.) of what Wasteland 2 is (hopefully) doing in "reviving" one of the classic cRPGs of the past.

RK47

Patron
This whole project is just so disheartening. It is the antithesis (design, structure, combat, etc.) of what Wasteland 2 is (hopefully) doing in "reviving" one of the classic cRPGs of the past.

It's a fessbook game, I'm not even bothered much about the brand rape anymore. Nothing is sacred by now.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
MtqNw.gif

:rage:

PGgDS.jpg

Lady British?I assume she is going to be a tranny written by Hamburger Helper and "romanced" by the Avatar on Lord British's grave

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
Ideas can't be raped.
The entire history of mankind would disagree.
Man is a child, though. Original thoughts are very seldom debunked by human practice, only delegitimized.
Legitimacy is something we create everyday.
When we flush our concepts and beliefs down the toilet just because somebody made a game and used a franchise to lable it, we only rape ourselves.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lady British? I might not be the most knowledgeable guy about Ultima, but isn't it supposed to be Lord British? Or does he have a wife/daugther who becomes an important character in the Ultime universe? Help me out guys, I'm a bit lost.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's suck our innards back in and rage on in a relaxed manner, this ain't so bad.
I can see this having a positive revitalizing effect on the ultima community and mod projects, and we'd already be part of this backlash now. Compare with the situation after Ultima IX or Gothic 3. Ideas can't be raped.

In all seriousness:
The Ultima community has already done all it can and more to keep Ultima alive all these years. Engine reimplementations, mods, total conversions. But we've gotten too old for this shit now. The ball is in EA's court.

Lord British owns the copyright to Lord British and as such EA has been forced to invent a new British.

I hope this doesn't lead to some bitch in real life wearing a crown, insisting that her real name is Lady British.

Black

Arcane
Fucking sexist misogynist pig, grorious Bioware will not your patriarchal views stop them from being bold and progressive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
As has been hinted, Jaesun, taxalot and myself currently have access to the alpha of this game. Though I suspect I'm the only one who played it for more than 15 minutes. :smug:

20 minutes. Shut it off. Then Un-Installed.

:hero: BTW, FYI, in the meeting yesterday it was confirmed that all alpha testers are automatically in the beta test. So you don't need to sign up. :lol:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Lady British? I might not be the most knowledgeable guy about Ultima, but isn't it supposed to be Lord British? Or does he have a wife/daugther who becomes an important character in the Ultime universe? Help me out guys, I'm a bit lost.
2.jpg

epikitscheesy

Liturgist

In all seriousness:
The Ultima community has already done all it can and more to keep Ultima alive all these years. Engine reimplementations, mods, total conversions. But we've gotten too old for this shit now. The ball is in EA's court.
True, you're tired. But apart from the all the fan activity still going on, there are some basic things to consider:
take a peak behind the big business and you see retro gaming is in full bloom. Youngsters from the '00 generations are antiquing right now on GOG, Piratebay and elsewhere. You can't prevent all the old data from flying around the net. True Ultima is not going to die with you oldfags.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
True, you're tired. But apart from the all the fan activity still going on, there are some basic things to consider:
take a peak behind the big business and you see retro gaming is in full bloom. Youngsters from the '00 generations are antiquing right now on GOG, Piratebay and elsewhere. You can't prevent all the old data from flying around the net. True Ultima is not going to die with you oldfags.

I'm sorry, but in this age of Kickstarter, Ultima deserves to "die", or at least to take its rightful place in obscurity along with Wizardry and Might & Magic.

This is the time to put up or shut up. Brian Fargo and the rest of the ex-Interplay crowd have shown that they still care. Everybody else has proven that they don't give a fuck about their classics anymore, so why should any fan work on keeping their games alive?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's just frustrating that the "suits" don't see my old-school Ultima as worth making anymore. I mean, they were successful at one time and people wanted to play them.... right.... I wasn't the only one...? This, whatever it is, is so far removed from what I would want to play that it is sad and disheartening. This announcement is one of the BIGGEST/ MOST IMPORTANT reasons why I have supported Wasteland 2, Double Fine, Dead State, etc.!!! I've spent at least 4x the amount one each individual Kickstarter game than I would on any AAA game released by the Big Boy companies. Seems the only way to get a game close to what I want to play and they are all at least a year away.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's not like, say, Ultima VII's design philosophy is that radically oldschool and unmarketable. It's basically isometric, party-based Elder Scrolls (with better writing). They can make this.

Fuck, if they sell the IP to Bethesda even they would do a better job, even if it is in first person.

RK47

Patron
It's not like, say, Ultima VII's design philosophy is that radically oldschool and unmarketable. It basically isometric, party-based Elder Scrolls (with better writing). They can make this.

Fuck, if they sell the IP to Bethesda even they would do a better job, even if it is in first person.

........uhhhhhh.............. Ewan McGregor as the Avatar?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom