Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Edward R Murrow's Dissertation on Fallout 3

Tintin

Arbiter
P.S. How do you skip the stupid VATS animations?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Naked Ninja said:
Another productive Codex thread ends in the participants getting bored and wandering off. High five team?
Well, Vault Dweller ran back to his own forums because he was getting badly owned ("Bethesda were honest!") and I think the consensus reached was that Twinfalls still looks like a douche. And as for you... you didn't do shit. You came in with a few posts there but no follow-up. What's wrong with you?

Saint_Proverbius said:
So computers are rock-solid and immune to EMP, but there are no cars that can survive bombing?
Nope, no cars.
I've known you a while so I know you have a whole thing about cars in Fallout :P but I never got why you found it so hard for people to build cars post-bombs. People are clearly able to build finnicky devices like Energy Powered weapons and keep them in working order, a motor vehicle's not that much more difficult. You've got organisations like the Brotherhood of Steel and the Gunrunners who clearly have some manufacturing capability, whacking together an internal combustion engine that runs on the energy cells that are capable of delivering large amounts of energy in all the weapons doesn't seem like much of a leap.

Saint_Proverbius said:
No gasoline, hence the Great War.
Ethanol? Even the Model T Ford ran on that. A renewable resource grown in fields. There wouldn't be a lot of it but there'd be enough for some vehicles. Even if they had to go back to the old steam powered lorry (no gas required), which is something that's actually mentioned in the original Fallout's (the Super Mutants use them in an attack according to one of the dialogue files). I also know everyone had a go at Chris Avellone for saying that in the Fallout Bible but I think harkening back to the old days of steam-powered trucks would've been not only cool but plausible. I know I wouldn't want to be walking everywhere.

... and Helton, I should've used epitome instead of epiphany. Your sig is embarassing me with its incorrect word usage. :(

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Naked Ninja said:
Another productive Codex thread ends in the participants getting bored and wandering off. High five team?
Well, Vault Dweller ran back to his own forums because he was getting badly owned ("Bethesda were honest!")...
The sweet smell of a self-proclaimed victory? You sure are teh winnar of this thread, baby!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Where? I said I'm done with this thread. As in done arguing since it was kinda pointless. Never said anything about leaving.

Edit: OH SHIT! Another 10 pages of semantics heading this way! BRACE FOR IMPACT!!!

Tintin

Arbiter
I think DarkUnderlord should close all of his posts with FLIP-FLOP. Preferably in size 90 font.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I can't. :( Font size only goes up to size 24 in phpBB. I was thinking about doing a nice transparent .png to satisfy whomever it was who wanted something bigger earlier.

Vault Dweller said:
Where? I said I'm done with this thread.
... and yet you're still here, trying to make a point.

Vault Dweller said:
With Fallout 3 Bethesda was a lot more honest and straightforward
Remember Kids! This is what Vault Dweller actually believes ("500 endings" anyone?).

Shagnak

Shagadelic
DarkUnderlord said:
I can't. :( Font size only goes up to size 24 in phpBB. I was thinking about doing a nice transparent .png to satisfy whomever it was who wanted something bigger earlier.
some dude said:
I expect that I'll check back here sometime in the future and see each character of "FLIP FLOP" taking up an entire page
Make it so.
Vault Dweller said:
OH SHIT! Another 10 pages of semantics heading this way! BRACE FOR IMPACT!!!
panicyj81uh9.gif

Ausir

Arcane
Remember Kids! This is what Vault Dweller actually believes ("500 endings" anyone?).

Well, even if they were more honest with it than with Oblivion, it doesn't mean they were completely honest.

Vault Dweller

Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Vault Dweller said:
Where? I said I'm done with this thread.
... and yet you're still here, trying to make a point.
What point would that be? I simply wanted to be one of the first to congratulate you with your spectacular victory. Was that wrong?

Vault Dweller said:
Dictionary, the Dark Underlord "Special" Edition:

A Lot More (A Lŏt Mo·ré) - A fancy way of saying "completely" or "absolutely".

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
First:
Vault Dweller said:
Edit: OH SHIT! Another 10 pages of semantics heading this way! BRACE FOR IMPACT!!!
... and then:

Vault Dweller said:
Vault Dweller said:
Dictionary, the Dark Underlord "Special" Edition:

A Lot More (A Lŏt Mo·ré) - A fancy way of saying "completely" or "absolutely".
This is the key to understanding Vault Dweller. Whenever he makes one of his cute little remarks, he's actually referring to himself.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Naked Ninja wrote:

Well, Vault Dweller ran back to his own forums because he was getting badly owned ("Bethesda were honest!") and I think the consensus reached was that Twinfalls still looks like a douche. And as for you... you didn't do shit. You came in with a few posts there but no follow-up. What's wrong with you?

Lol DU, this thing the kids do where they keep arguing until people get bored and leave, then declare themselves the "winners" of the argument, well, let us just say it is far less convincing than you might believe. Amusing, but not convincing. :lol:

"And as for you... you didn't do shit."

Which was about a 4000% more efficient way of spending my time than if I'd actually bothered arguing the "salient points" in this thread. :roll:

"You came in with a few posts there but no follow-up. What's wrong with you?"

I'm quite busy and not looking to fill the boredom with fruitless argument right now, sadly. :lol:

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm gone for a day and suddenly I'm 3 pages behind.

Saint_Proverbius said:
trais said:
F3 took F2 "theme parks" and multiply them to ridiculous levels.

You'd be right, except Fallout 3 tends to keep with the post apocalyptic theme as opposed to Gangster Theme, Wild West Theme, and Kung Fu Theme.
And in F3 we got Cthulu, Blade Runner, Lord of the Flies, Vampires themes. I'd rather have Gangsters and Wild West, but if you prefer the other ones - it's fine with me.

Saint_Proverbius said:
I think super powers may fit Spiderman game, but not Fallout one.

The Master had superpowahz. But really, being very, very radiated just to slowly regenerate crippled limbs isn't exactly "super" in terms of powers.
Well, it definitly ain't what you normally get from radiation sickness, so I'll stay with term "super".

Saint_Proverbius said:
So everyone have pipboy, to read them?

Everyone that would need the guide would have them. The people already out in the Wasteland have probably figured out how to survive in it already, or else they'd be dead. Right?
Right. That's why guidebook is silly. There is no need for one, even if we'd assume that 200 years after war most of the people are still literate.

Saint_Proverbius said:
I'm 100% sure in Fallout 1 intro was ad of full analog car. There shouldn't be any problems repairing such car, even if it would be damaged.
No gasoline, hence the Great War.
Don't shishkebab, the flaming sword use gasoline as it's fuel? Anyway, as people already said, analog car can by electricity powered (from batteries, just as laser rifles). And if you are able to repair broken plasma gun, broken car should be a piece of cake.

Saint_Proverbius said:
"Wouldn't it be cool if.." is more along the lines of Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics where one car is cool, SIX cars is SIX times the cool. Bethesda didn't go that route, even though they could have.
I thought we were talking about F2 only, but hell, if we have Brotherhood of Steel who can repair and maintain power armors and energy weapons, even building vehicles for a scratch wouldn't be a problem to them.

Saint_Proverbius said:
That's kind of like saying "Why develop sulfa drugs when they had snake oil?" The booths, like a lot of the wacky things they sold people who couldn't afford fallout shelters in their back yards, were cons.
Ok, I once again underestimated human stupidity, I sounds plausible if you put it that way.

Saint_Proverbius said:
They shouldn't explode at all. Why would you need atomic bombs if you can create as much destruction by simply crashing one car into another? Or making some other kind of road accident. In city with lots of traffic you could get chain-reaction and results would be astonishing.

After 200 years, they'd be a little more fragile than they would be right off the showroom floor. Metal rusts, rubber dry rots, and so on. I can see the argument for them blowing up if they take too much damage given the condition of the cars, but it's rather stupid that a few swings of a sledgehammer would blow them up.
It's rather stupid that any amount of damage would blow them up.

Saint_Proverbius said:
When you line up planes for a runway to land, and then all the pilots are wiped out in a flash of light, it's possible they'd crash pretty close to one another.
Nah, even if planes were so close to each other to have chance to crash into the same spot on the ground, explosion that would wipe the pilot would also break them into pieces. Anyway, this is photo of crashed plane:
alg_plane-crash.jpg

How planes would you need to dig a hole in the ground?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
trais said:
I'm gone for a day and suddenly I'm 3 pages behind.

Saint_Proverbius said:
trais said:
F3 took F2 "theme parks" and multiply them to ridiculous levels.

You'd be right, except Fallout 3 tends to keep with the post apocalyptic theme as opposed to Gangster Theme, Wild West Theme, and Kung Fu Theme.
And in F3 we got Cthulu, Blade Runner, Lord of the Flies, Vampires themes. I'd rather have Gangsters and Wild West, but if you prefer the other ones - it's fine with me.

The .223 Pistol in Fallout was Blade Runner, and the best pistol in the game. I didn't really like the idea of the replicant, though. Replicants are a bit too high tech for Fallout's setting, IMHO. I also didn't like the vampires and I thought there should have been a damned good explanation on where the kids where coming from in that town. That said, most of those were tiny parts of the game. In Fallout 2, they were entire towns complete with fairly large plot points. Other than Lamplight, which needed some explanation, they're fairly small asides.

Saint_Proverbius said:
The Master had superpowahz. But really, being very, very radiated just to slowly regenerate crippled limbs isn't exactly "super" in terms of powers.
Well, it definitly ain't what you normally get from radiation sickness, so I'll stay with term "super".

The Master had telepathic powers. Heck, even his last name is "GREY".

Right. That's why guidebook is silly. There is no need for one, even if we'd assume that 200 years after war most of the people are still literate.

The people who would need the Wasteland Survival Guide would be the ones fresh out of the vaults. As such, they would be literate and they would have pipboys, so holodisks would be a perfectly acceptable media for the Wasteland Survival Guide.

Don't shishkebab, the flaming sword use gasoline as it's fuel?

It doesn't list it in the schematics nor does it take ammo. It probably should have used Flamer Fuel for ammo. But the answer would be "Nope."

Anyway, as people already said, analog car can by electricity powered (from batteries, just as laser rifles).

Nope, Corvega was gas powered.

And if you are able to repair broken plasma gun, broken car should be a piece of cake.

Only if you have a good set of spare hoses, tires, working radiator, and so on. You can repair a broken plasma rifle only if you have another plasma rifle.

I thought we were talking about F2 only, but hell, if we have Brotherhood of Steel who can repair and maintain power armors and energy weapons, even building vehicles for a scratch wouldn't be a problem to them.

Yet they seem to walk an awful lot.

How planes would you need to dig a hole in the ground?

How busy is Washington D.C. as a flight destination? Were the planes fusion powered?

Ausir

Arcane
The people who would need the Wasteland Survival Guide would be the ones fresh out of the vaults. As such, they would be literate and they would have pipboys, so holodisks would be a perfectly acceptable media for the Wasteland Survival Guide.

By then, the only unopened vault is 101. Depending on your decisions, it might open up, but mostly it stays closed down, so it's not much of a clientele.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Depends on how far the caravans in the area go. In Fallout, caravans traveled a fairly good way away from the Hub. Just because Washington D.C. is the only place you can go in Fallout 3 doesn't mean the distribution of the Wasteland Survival Guide is as geographically limited.

Ausir

Arcane
The only other East Coast settlements that I recall being mentioned in FO3 are the Pitt (mutant raider town) and the Commonwealth.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, the Commonwealthers would be literate and most likely have Pipboys as well. So, they'd be prime candidates for the Wasteland Survival Guide as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom