Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

GEoOj4s.png

Almost all the negative reviews are people filtered by having shit hardware. Though patches seem to have improved frame rates now too.

View attachment 48704

Well, why does the game require so much power to run?

There's a discussion about that over on the DD2 page if you go back to around the launch date. Maybe go have a look over there, rather than completely derail the ER page if you want anything in depth.

My more snarky reply is that it's because it kicks the hell out of all From's games. :lol: (But seriously, the short version seems to be AI and sim elements.)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Almost all the negative reviews are people filtered by having shit hardware. Though patches seem to have improved frame rates now too.

View attachment 48704

There's a discussion about that over on the DD2 page if you go back to around the launch date. Maybe go have a look over there, rather than completely derail the ER page if you want anything in depth.

My more snarky reply is that it's because it kicks the hell out of all From's games. :lol: (But seriously, the short version seems to be AI and sim elements.)

Ouch. CPU dependant then. Not easy to fix that.

Hell Swarm

Learned
It has a poorly functioning physics engine that tanks the frame rate among other issues. It's not "complex AI and sim elements". It's something we had functioning 2 decades ago.

Fucking fanboys. I swear you would defend Capcom or From shitting in your mouth. Probably be a drag queen doing it too.

mediocrepoet

Patron

View attachment 48704

Ouch. CPU dependant then. Not easy to fix that.

Yeah, that's exactly it. Basically if you have a beefy CPU and not a lot of system bottlenecks, you can get a good frame rate. Honestly, it's only really an issue in the new capital and if you have a good gaming system, you may not even notice much other than the occasional stutter.

But like, at launch, I was pulling say 40-70+ FPS across the entire game without using DLSS or anything like that, currently, my frames are ranging around 50-100 fps in game while also having crap going on a second monitor. The issues with it are exaggerated imo, or are from people who don't know how to set their options despite there actually being an indicator showing rough approximations of expected VRAM and CPU usage.

Note: I'm running the thing maxed out with all the graphics crap and ray tracing on.

mediocrepoet

Patron
It's all right, Dragon's Dogma fans, FS were underdogs once, too.
I'm a fan of both. And I can say with the utmost certainty that DD2 is better than Elden Ring. FS wasn't going to beat everything forever. That's not the rule of nature.
In the year of release, Elden Ring accounted for something stupid like 55% of my gaming time for the entire year per Steam year in review. I played the SHIT out of it, including multiple completions and all my playthroughs tend to be completionist. DD2 is a better game imo. Try not to cry Odoryuk.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
In the year of release, Elden Ring accounted for something stupid like 55% of my gaming time for the entire year per Steam year in review. I played the SHIT out of it, including multiple completions and all my playthroughs tend to be completionist. DD2 is a better game imo. Try not to cry Odoryuk.
I finished Elden Ring with about 250 hours of gameplay. I'm currently about to break the 200 hour mark with DD2, and I still hope it never ends. With Elden Ring there was a certain point I started rushing to the end. That game just doesn't have the same sense of adventure. It did for a long while but after a certain point you realize you're just playing a sloppier, more bloated Souls game.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
bad games

You can acknowledge something has issues but still enjoy the overall experience. Too often the initial way we perceive and frame a "thing" determines all of our subsequent dealings with it. From my experience the tech thing was overblown - same as the useless MTX. Call it luck, but I have a middling pc and ran DD2 well at 2k/med-high settings @ ~60fps. I will say there's many systems and interactions you don't notice until you play for awhile. Didn't help that Monster Hunter had probably absorbed most of their staff; seems they only had a fraction of people working on it compared to his last game (DMC5)..

Hell Swarm

Learned
are not excuses for bad games

Agreed. FEAR had a amazing AI in 2005. My point is just that DD is not the unique unoptimized game. See Forspoken performance.

Didn't help that Monster Hunter had probably absorbed most of their staff; seems they only had a fraction of people working on it compared to his last game (DMC5)..
These aren't excuses and never should be. It doesn't matter how well other games run, it matters what is what I get when I spent £54 on this game. If it has serious issues like running at 40 FPS on high end machines then it has those issues if something else runs better or worse. If you have to justify something by saying "Something else did it worse" or "It didn't have 10,000 devs working on it" then you shouldn't be justifying it at all. It's an overpriced AAA game with micro transactions in a single player game. If you're paying a premium price you should be expecting a premium product and we're clearly not seeing that. Capcom can release premium quality games worth the price tag (RE2 remake, RE7, Village and DMC5) so there's no need to make excuses for them ripping you off with this.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
But that's my point; I didn't go into it with preconceived feelings or expectations as DD1 (like all things) is a product of circumstance. I don't feel ripped off. Sure it could be "better", but that's mostly theoretical at the moment. I have a long list of complaints but at the end of the day I feel good about it. To each his own.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
I think real Dragon's Dogma fans went into 2 expecting more of the same, but they got some big surprises. Souls fans went into Elden Ring expecting the second coming of Christ but just got a worse Souls game. That's my perspective. Keep in mind there's alot of Elden Ring fans who never touched a previous FS game. That was many people's first Demon's/Dark Souls experience. I don't know if that's good or bad. Hopefully it encouraged people to try out the older FS games.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Keep in mind there's alot of Elden Ring fans who never touched a previous FS game.
Obviously. Where do you the difference of about 15 million or so copies came from? Up until then DkS3 I think sold about 5 million+. ER sold 20m+.
I don't know if that's good or bad.
It's bad. For every 1 high quality fan there's 10 or more sub sealevel IQ mouth breathers. It's just science at this point.
Wanna know why it's bad? Because in time they get to decide where the franchise goes through their moans, grunts, roars and screams. And the companies are very receptive to these kinds of signals. After all, fans know best right?
Look at what they did to FO. Nuked 3 games, just like that.
Gatekeep like hell.

Odoryuk

Educated
Keep in mind there's alot of Elden Ring fans who never touched a previous FS game.
Obviously. Where do you the difference of about 15 million or so copies came from? Up until then DkS3 I think sold about 5 million+. ER sold 20m+.
I don't know if that's good or bad.
It's bad. For every 1 high quality fan there's 10 or more sub sealevel IQ mouth breathers. It's just science at this point.
Wanna know why it's bad? Because in time they get to decide where the franchise goes through their moans, grunts, roars and screams. And the companies are very receptive to these kinds of signals. After all, fans know best right?
Look at what they did to FO. Nuked 3 games, just like that.
Gatekeep like hell.
Watch FromSoftware never making a sequel to their most successful game yet.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
This is the biggest larp in history. You cannot gatekeep a commercial hobby. You can't stop people buying the game or posting about it on Reddit. WTF can you do to gatekeep?
Bully them everywhere you can. Shame them, be as toxic as possible so that no one wants to be part of that fan base. Other than that I don't know. I'm not really sure this works 100%.

Hell Swarm

Learned
This is the biggest larp in history. You cannot gatekeep a commercial hobby. You can't stop people buying the game or posting about it on Reddit. WTF can you do to gatekeep?
Bully them everywhere you can. Shame them, be as toxic as possible so that no one wants to be part of that fan base. Other than that I don't know. I'm not really sure this works 100%.
These days it just gets you banned every where. If you want to gatekeep it has to be in the real world

Cheesedragon117

Educated

Do what Ongezellig did and have your piece of media be adopted by (or even financially sponsored by) imageboards, add a character who is a viciously racist (insert-country-here) nationalist, make the cast all beautiful women so the uggos and trannies can't latch on to it in any way, even better if they're foreign women because then they can't criticize their beauty without being racist.

Those are just a few ideas, Ongezellig is kind of a special case because it was a perfect storm of circumstantial factors that together made and continues to make their fanbase nigh-incorruptible. It's also a web series, so this might not even translate well to a video game series, much less a popular one and even less a multiplayer game where players can interact with one another.

Aw, shit, I just realized all the advice I just gave was for creators. Well, I'm gonna post it anyway to try to restore some sense of direction to this thread.

Terenty

Liturgist
I kinda lost some respect towards From when they ubisoftified their game and went down quantity over quality route. I legit thought Elden Ring would have the best, most epic open world ever.

Well, at least DD2 showed how it's done

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
someone help me kill mohg, there are no summon signs and i've died like 12 times and lost a million souls

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom