Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't get it.
Mike Hose leaves Pirahna Bytes for Piranha Bytes RED to work on a project that nobody knows nothing about for three years.
WTF is Piranha RED? Is it a branch of Piranha Bytes?
If since 2014 there is no word about it, I guess it is dead.
From where does Mike Hose has money for food?

Jinn

Arcane
My guess is that they are waiting for ELEX to be released before they start hyping up Michael Hoge's SPACETIME.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
78.jpg

So did anyone ordered the Collector's Edition? :)

"Collector’s Edition for ELEX includes a 10-inch-high figurine of an Alb Mage, a 2-inch amulet in the form of a combat drone, a cloth map, showing the world of Magalan, the original score on CD plus artbook."

A 25 cm tall figurine? Who the hell wants that shit?
A sure way to sell less collector's editions.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Unlikely that I would pay them much mind again if ELEX sucks ass. Piranha Bytes RED, however... Who knows? They have yet to put anything out.

For the record, I wasn't looking forward to Risen 2 or 3 when they were coming out, so I don't feel particularly burned by those.
1d3.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Risen boxed version were really nice. DRM free, bonus CD with the wonderful soundtrack and a nice manual. I'm hoping the normal ELEX boxed version will be similar, but I have a feeling the normal retail verison will only be a dvd case with a Steam code :/

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
https://www.worldofelex.de/images/phocagallery/elex/art.img/78.jpg

So did anyone ordered the Collector's Edition? :)

"Collector’s Edition for ELEX includes a 10-inch-high figurine of an Alb Mage, a 2-inch amulet in the form of a combat drone, a cloth map, showing the world of Magalan, the original score on CD plus artbook."

A 25 cm tall figurine? Who the hell wants that shit?
A sure way to sell less collector's editions.
So did anyone ordered the Collector's Edition?

Of course
Does pre-orders & collector's editions contain any in-game fare or exclusives? I need to know so I know whether I should pirate this or not, because that, online-only singleplayer or in-game purchases are pretty much the trinity of stuff that makes me never pay for a game.

Latelistener

Arcane
If since 2014 there is no word about it, I guess it is dead.
If they secured funding for Spacetime, they don't need to show anything until it's ready for public.
And if Nordic is investing into both projects, they will not show anything until Elex is released.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Seeing the in engine cinematic of the game I learned:

- small hand held weapons can bring a large airship down
- birds don't give a fuck if a big ass airship flies in tandem
- birds are the unluckiest creatures on the face of Magalan
- helmets are cheap as shit that you can toss them away at a whim
- doesn't matter how high tech your armour is, a hood is always fashionable along giant pauldrons
- main character's hobby is to ask himself stupid rhetorical questions

Also:

- trying to smash a berserker's brains out with a metal pipe will always make a good impression on him, so much that he instantly wants to pamper you and make the tour guide

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I understand people's skepticism with Piranha Bytes and ELEX. Risen 2 & 3 were clearly garbage shadows of the past glory of the studio, and I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise.

What people who shit on ELEX don't seem to understand is that the studio was also going through major changes and challenges during the development of those games. Piranha Bytes had a tumultuous and dysfunctional relationship with their publisher of the time, Deep Silver. They had a three game contract with them that they had to fullfil, and Deep Silver was forcing them to go in a direction with the games that they didn't want, and knew that their fans didn't want. This is why a lot of the charm of earlier titles was absent: because that charm didn't appeal to a wider audience. Piranha Bytes have even stated that they didn't enjoy working with Deep Silver and have since changed to a publisher that will give them the freedom to make a game they actually want to make. In regards to how many people from the past era are still present at Piranha Bytes: as far as I know 12 out of the 25 employees at the studio worked on at least Gothic II.

It's easy to look at a few screenshots and a 12 minute trailer that only shows combat and say that the game will be shit, but if you look a little further and check out the 3 hour preview and actually watch some of the gameplay, you'll quickly begin to see a lot of that former charm and love has been applied to ELEX. Exploration, world design, factions, character interactions, satisfying equipment progression, reputation system, player progression, and even trainers are all in. Yes, the combat doesn't look like the most amazing aspect, but if you enjoy the overall way combat is done in Gothic I and II, I don't see how you would dislike what you see. There are powerful enemies everywhere that will wipe the floor with you, You have to think tactically about your engagements and sometimes lure enemies away from one another. You have to understand how to sometimes keep your distance in battles. These are all things that I love about Gothic combat, and I see all of them present in one way or another in ELEX.

I don't think any Gothic fan really wants that much actual innovation at this point. We want to see something that calls back to those great games we all remember and love. ELEX is definitely a game for Gothic fans.

I sure hope you are right, but I am not going to hold my breath....

Lord Andre

Arcane
Huh, I had no idea this game was coming out.

I just read the last 3 pages... is there a reason for Darth Roxor 's over the top praise for the game ? Is it some kind of ongoing joke ? I mean I'll buy the game 'cause what the fuck else is out there, but PB hasn't come out with a solid game for what, over a decade now ? Someone please explain why there's so much hype on my usually skeptic codex...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, I had no idea this game was coming out.

I just read the last 3 pages... is there a reason for Darth Roxor 's over the top praise for the game ? Is it some kind of ongoing joke ? I mean I'll buy the game 'cause what the fuck else is out there, but PB hasn't come out with a solid game for what, over a decade now ? Someone please explain why there's so much hype on my usually skeptic codex...
Because it's FUCKING ELEX MAN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom