Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Splinter Cell Double Agent for old-gen consoles is superior to the PC version. I have played them both ; they are entirely, entirely different games.

spekkio

Arcane
Good to know that 3 is worth playing.

Not regular 3 though, but the "updated re-release" it got later. IIRC the original third entry has bad gameplay, too much story-faggotry and fucking Ryu Hayabusa whinning about killing way too many people. It was the same kind of rape Samus went through Metroid Other M.
Splinter cell 3 not shitty ninja gaiden 3
Well, I was a little bit surprised with lightbane's post. "Since when Ryu Hayabusa is in Splinter Cell 3? Maybe I really need to check this one out?" :|

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Splinter Cell was a much bigger hit than Ubisoft anticipated, so they got some B-team to make a sequel in the same engine while the original people worked on Chaos Theory. So that's why Pandora Tomorrow sucks, yeah.

Double Agent was split between the teams; the original devs got the PS2/XBOX version which is pretty solid. But for some reason, the Pandora Tomorrow team got to make the 360/PC version which sucks ass, and Splinter Cell has sucked ever since.

sullynathan

Arcane
the original devs got the PS2/XBOX version which is pretty solid. But for some reason, the Pandora Tomorrow team got to make the 360/PC version which sucks ass
Splinter Cell Double Agent for old-gen consoles is superior to the PC version. I have played them both ; they are entirely, entirely different games.

I wonder how large the quality disparity really is. I have only played Double Agent on PC for two missions and they we're a clear decline from Chaos Theory in terms of level design and mechanics. I still have the game because Ubi gave it for free. it made me swear off the game. So is it just flat out better to emulate the PS2 version instead? I really like the M+KB of the PC version

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
the original devs got the PS2/XBOX version which is pretty solid. But for some reason, the Pandora Tomorrow team got to make the 360/PC version which sucks ass

I wonder how large the quality disparity really is. I have only played Double Agent on PC for two missions and they we're a clear decline from Chaos Theory in terms of level design and mechanics. I still have the game because Ubi gave it for free. it made me swear off the game. So is it just flat out better to emulate the PS2 version instead? I really like the M+KB of the PC version

PS2 version reuses the CT engine and has different levels. Still the stupid plot, but at least it's better stealth

lightbane

Arcane
Well, I was a little bit surprised with lightbane's post. "Since when Ryu Hayabusa is in Splinter Cell 3? Maybe I really need to check this one out?" :|

Yeah, I mixed them up, my bad. :oops: Never played S. Cell games so I can't say much.

Why would you even want to play BotW without durability? At first I didn't really care for it but then I realized that it forced me to use everything at my disposal and be creative, at least for the first half of the game.
Its purpose isn't to make you be more creative or the combat more interesting. The weapon durability mechanic where you break 1-3 weapons over the course of a single fight is there to force the player to pick up and use the weapons he finds in the area's he's in -so that his damage output quickly becomes appropriate for the level of the area he's in- to maintain a certain level of challenge (and it still fails at that). It's their own version of levelscaling.
If the goal was to make things like traps/environment attacks useful then tuning the difficulty of combat for it does the trick (and they are useful even without the durability mechanic).

All the weapon durability mechanic does is force you to pause the action in the middle of combat 1-3 times to switch to whichever weapon's next on your stockpile or nearby, hoard the best weapons for a rainy day while playing inventory push/pop, and wonder how a world with tools and weapons made out of fragile glass gets built or why they couldn't make weapons out of the same material they made unbreakable armor from.

Last edited:
Well, if you look at it from another perspective, it also allows you to find a really powerful weapon out of sequence and early on and not have it break the game completely, because of the limited number of uses. It also forces you to pick your battles and this leads to less repetition overall. I didn't kill every moblin camp I came across because of this very reason.

I'm not trying to justify this from a 'realistic' perspective (i.e. materials and how armour is unbreakable), it's clearly a gamey mechanic, but I think it works within the context of the game. Sure, sometimes it's annoying and can feel artificial, but I think the good outweighs the bad.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I just settled on using a 2x multiplier on the durability meter with that BotW "Editing Tool" mod for Cemu.

I played with infinite durability for a bit but found it unbalanced the game somewhat, it lost something, but 2x or 3x durability was perfect.

spekkio

Arcane
^

200.gif

Bonus DRAMA points for DOXXing the hell out of competition.

:bravo:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What website are you guys using for PS3 ISOs? I haven't been able to find a good one ever since ISOS Land ate it.

(ISOS Land is recently back up but they're still not "operational" yet, most of the links are broken).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Just dropping by to report that:

XENIA

- Lost Odyssey still doesn't go past the first loading screen for me on the November 28th build of Xenia

- Mass Effect 3 is NOT in "playable" in any way whatsoever in Xenia

- Halo 3 does go in-game and, barring a few graphical hiccups and a framerate in the 15-20s, seems to be "playable"

- RDR1 is not playable

- Blue Dragon is actually the MOST playable of these 5 games on Xenia, and it's probably perfectly fine on intel i7's and

RPCS3

- Mass Effect 3 has heavy graphical glitches and didn't go past the first loading screen for me on the December 3rd build of RPCS3

- Persona 5 performance keeps going back-and-forth with the game running fine but not as well as it did in older builds

- RDR1 (PS3 version) is not playable either

- Wizardry: LoLS is 100% playable

- Yakuza 3 loads fine but is missing tons of graphics and cut-scenes don't appear on-screen although I could hear them

CEMU

- BotW plays amazingly well on build 1.14c

- lol there are other games for Wii U? lmao lmao lol gtfoh

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh!

YUZU

- Octofag: some definite progress here. Actually went as far as the title screen this time on build from December 2nd, and most of the graphics displayed.

- Mario Odyssey: Lots of progress here, actually goes in-game and seems playable enough even though framerate is in the 10-15's for me on an intel i5 7500. Not really playable for me but might be for those with i7's and higher.

Note that when I refer to one of these games as "playable enough" what I mean is that you're in control and barring minor graphical glitches (if any), the only thing keeping it from being legitimately playable is a poor frame rate or maybe some other related issue (like de-synced audio perhaps).

Need to test Class of Heroes 2G on RPCS3 though that one will probably play just fine, just like Wiz: LoLS. Those games would run on a toaster.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yah i know wii u has a few other games. xenoblade chronicles X also runs flawlessly on 1.14c, along with yoshi's woolly world.

frankly i'd classify CEMU as "solved".

Well, if you look at it from another perspective, it also allows you to find a really powerful weapon out of sequence and early on and not have it break the game completely, because of the limited number of uses.
But the limited number of uses also makes finding that powerful weapon incredibly less rewarding in the player's mind. In practice you're just gaining a temporary damage buff instead something that typically works as a permanent character upgrade. That's a huge difference IMO.

The durability system might make it easier to avoid breaking the game with overpowered gear in theory but I don't think it quite achieved that in BOTW as you can consistently stockpile/hoard the best weapons. And it's not like other games don't have other ways of going about that issue such as making sure that gear is locked behind appropriate challenges, reducing the power difference between early and endgame gear, stat requirements for gear etc.

It also forces you to pick your battles and this leads to less repetition overall. I didn't kill every moblin camp I came across because of this very reason.
I avoided camps even with durability disabled because they just felt like respawning trash encounters with crap rewards you don't really need, placed there for the same reason every other modern AAA open world has something for you to kill/smash/loot/solve for every 45 seconds of map traversal you do.

I'm not trying to justify this from a 'realistic' perspective (i.e. materials and how armour is unbreakable), it's clearly a gamey mechanic, but I think it works within the context of the game. Sure, sometimes it's annoying and can feel artificial, but I think the good outweighs the bad.
But even if you set aside the glass weapons thing and go with such a durability system for the purpose of damage scaling, they could still have done a better job of it. Why not be able to feed/repair/buff your weapon's durability with other weapons? The balance would have been kept exactly the same (your chosen weapon's damage output would also change based on what you fed it) yet it would mean far less forced weapon switching or inventory cleaning, and it would also mean that if you happen to find a weapon that doesn't look like a fantasy dildo you could keep using it.

No way of knowing if most people disliked the durability system but it's certainly one of the loudest complaints about the game. At first I thought trying to compulsively stockpile and spare the best weapons instead of just using them asap/mindlessly might be what was making the durability mechanic less enjoyable, but after going through the sword trials on master mode I doubt they expected you to play it any other way.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Citra now supports accurate audio emulation:
https://citra-emu.org/entry/accurate-audio-emulation/

List of games effected:
  • Pokémon X/Y: '
  • Art Academy - Lessons for Everyone
  • Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy+
  • Cursed Castilla EX - Improves from won’t boot, to audio with no graphics at intro/menu
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  • Fire Emblem Fates - Potentially fixes all the random support and levelup hangs further into the games
  • Lego City Undercover - The Chase Begins - Fix’d and now runs.
  • Lego Star Wars - The Force Awakens
  • Picross 3D - Round 2 - Now goes in-level without crashing, though the game has other issues.
  • Pokémon Sun/Moon - Happy Pokemon sounds will now be pitched correctly.
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix - now goes ingame
  • Taiko no Tatsujin - Chibi Dragon
  • Tomodachi Life - May now have fixed multiple audio bugs
  • Ultimate NES Remix - NES games now feature sound
  • Kirby Battle Royale - Missing sounds fixed
  • Detective Pikachu - fixed pre-rendered cutscenes (movie will be better though :P)
  • Monster Hunter Generations - Armor switching fixed

spekkio

Arcane
BROS I need some help.

I've encounter a weird bug in Retroarch 1.7.5 + byuu's cores (tested various bsnes cores and higan core).

Problem? Megaten games crash the emu.

Tested japanese versions of Majin Tensei 2, SMT1 and SMT2 and none of them will load. Using older cores won't help, resetting options does shit as well.
Tried a lot of other roms (Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, Metroid) and all of them work fine. It's like some code / format used by Atlus crashes the emu.

On good old 1.7.3. these games work fine, using older and recent cores. So it's related to Retroarch.exe, not the cores.

Can somebody try loading for example Majin Tensei 2 on Retro 1.7.5 using some of Bsnes or Higan cores?

:?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom