Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware End State - turn-based tactics by Finnish lunatic - now available on Early Access(!)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

geno

Savant

Exetending the Early Access
Greetings and thank you to everyone following and supporting the development of our
scam
project!

I am writing this to talk to you about our plans with the project going forward. So, contrary to our original plan,
the early access will continue in 2024
. The reason for this is that we have not been able to reach our goals and the game is just not where it would need to be in order to be labeled as a "full release".

Why?

I feel that I need to be brutally honest here and that if you have bought the game you deserve to know. The truth is that at times continuing to work on this project has been a struggle for me. As those who have followed the project longer know, there is quite a bit of history even before the early access.

I could summarize it as follows: At first it was a fun passion project, then it started to get serious, then perhaps a little too serious. Finally I ended up in a position where I found myself unable or unwilling to either release it or quit. It was a very hard time for me both psychologically and financially. After ending up in such a place it has taken time to accept that this is how things are.

Then I was offered a chance where the project would be acquired and the work would continue under a larger organization. I jumped at this because it was by Toni who was an investor at an earlier stage and with his help we launched the early access. Unfortunately it wasn't smooth sailing from there on either. Basically we struggled to form a team and reverted to mostly me working on the game. And I take the responsibility for not being able to keep up with the plan stated along with the early access release.

Fortunately things have started to look better after Teemu (the Botanist) joined the company just before summer 2023. Together we have been making progress during the fall and I think we have a good chance to bring the project to completion in 2024.

So this is where we stand now.
There will an update released before christmas and a revised plan for the remaining early access

Thanks again for your support!

Latelistener

Arcane
I think we have a good chance to bring the project to completion in 2024.
0bf6590a12aba7d032e928109200d7f1.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane

Exetending the Early Access
Greetings and thank you to everyone following and supporting the development of our
scam
project!

I am writing this to talk to you about our plans with the project going forward. So, contrary to our original plan,
the early access will continue in 2024
. The reason for this is that we have not been able to reach our goals and the game is just not where it would need to be in order to be labeled as a "full release".

Why?

I feel that I need to be brutally honest here and that if you have bought the game you deserve to know. The truth is that at times continuing to work on this project has been a struggle for me. As those who have followed the project longer know, there is quite a bit of history even before the early access.

I could summarize it as follows: At first it was a fun passion project, then it started to get serious, then perhaps a little too serious. Finally I ended up in a position where I found myself unable or unwilling to either release it or quit. It was a very hard time for me both psychologically and financially. After ending up in such a place it has taken time to accept that this is how things are.

Then I was offered a chance where the project would be acquired and the work would continue under a larger organization. I jumped at this because it was by Toni who was an investor at an earlier stage and with his help we launched the early access. Unfortunately it wasn't smooth sailing from there on either. Basically we struggled to form a team and reverted to mostly me working on the game. And I take the responsibility for not being able to keep up with the plan stated along with the early access release.

Fortunately things have started to look better after Teemu (the Botanist) joined the company just before summer 2023. Together we have been making progress during the fall and I think we have a good chance to bring the project to completion in 2024.

So this is where we stand now.
There will an update released before christmas and a revised plan for the remaining early access

Thanks again for your support!
I was sure this is a joke post and then I clicked your link...

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, its the same situation that the game has been in for ages, Phosphorous merely decided to come clean about it, but I dont think it changes anything. Its good to know that at least one dude is actually working on the game - at some point it might get finished.

Latelistener

Arcane
That's all fine and good, but saying that you finish your game in 2024 after 8 years or something, just because you finally have one other guy on board is not realistic to say the least.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
From discord:
We're currently focusing our efforts towards next patch. Our aim is to get it out before Christmas. There are currently quite many changes, some of them are bigger ones under the hood, but they will be more fruitful in the long run . There are changes coming to the strategic gameplay, legibility/UI overhaul, a lot of bug fixes, improvements on tactical gameplay (such as being able to walk on second, third etc. floors), first steps on story and dialogue features. I do admit that it is easy to lose track of the communication when you're focusing so much on the features. Will try to keep the communication up more

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From discord:
We're currently focusing our efforts towards next patch. Our aim is to get it out before Christmas. There are currently quite many changes, some of them are bigger ones under the hood, but they will be more fruitful in the long run . There are changes coming to the strategic gameplay, legibility/UI overhaul, a lot of bug fixes, improvements on tactical gameplay (such as being able to walk on second, third etc. floors), first steps on story and dialogue features. I do admit that it is easy to lose track of the communication when you're focusing so much on the features. Will try to keep the communication up more
Yes, please. If they reach this stage, I'll play test for a few hours.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Patch incoming.

Changelist from discord:
Early Access 0.3.0: End of year 2023 update
NOTICE: This patch includes various changes for End State and some bigger system overhauls that cause incompatibility with older save games.

General:
• Major refactoring for game structure, events and UI
• New campaign structure
• Dialogue systems added
• Placeholder cinematics & and new story elements have been added
• Weapon changes
• Audio changes such as adjusted gun sounds
• Contacts and new characters added
• Various bug fixes and totally new bugs to experience

Content:
• Major adjustments to Region 1 missions, locations and biome
• New missions added
• New mission objectives with mandatory and optional objectives

Tactical changes and balancing:
• Realtime mode added
• Allies can be present in missions and be interacted with
• Camera adjustments
• Ability to walk to other floors of the buildings
• Operatives can climb onto some of the objects
• Shoot AP costs reduced
• Reaction times shortened
• Interruption reaction only when strafing
• Interruption attack starts immediately if target can’t react
• Interact action and corpse looting adjustments

UI overhaul & fixes:
• Look and usability updates for both strategic and tactical view
• New UI views added such as Database and Deployment
• Trading UI Improvements for nicer trading experience

Graphics & rendering:
• Fog of war changes and adjustments
• Lighting adjustments, optimizations and improvements
• Post processing adjustments
• Underwear for operators
• Improved character portrait rendering
• Dynamic Water rendering features added
• Terrain rendering improvements
• Transparency fixes
• VFX adjustments and improvements such as new muzzle effects and blood decals
• Cloud fixes
• Decal drawing improvements

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
JA3 killer still chugging along

End State Update 0.4.0

Development news
So two months have passed and we are now ready to release the next update. The original plan was to release a smaller patch by the end of January and then a bigger update by the end of February, but those then merged into just one. I realize we should better communicate our timelines (and the subsequent failure to stay in those timelines). So here we go: the next update will be released at the end of March, and the focus will be content.

The game is still rough in many places, but I am happy with our current pace and progress. I feel confident that if we can keep up this momentum the next updates can bring the game closer to completion. That said there are still important features missing, not enough content and lots of polishing to do.

Thanks for your support and feel free to comment!

-phosphorous

So what’s in the update?
The biggest change in this update is the overall increase in ranges.
  • Vision range is more than doubled (now 64 tiles, time-of-day also affects the range).
  • Levels are generally twice as big (from 64 to 128 tiles), however some smaller levels still remain.
  • Shooting mechanics have been overhauled (hit chances over distance have been increased, fire-modes and sight attachments added).
  • New peripheral vision that allows enemies to notice movement and investigate.
  • New weapon models (tiered generic items have been replaced).
  • Basic melee attacks have been introduced (knife and unarmed).
  • Items such as vests provide item slots (carrying too many affects movement speed).
  • Enemy reinforcements can now be prevented by disabling a radio in the level.
  • New objective: Eliminate target (find and kill specific enemy).
  • New missions (3) and improvements to old missions.
eUxxYGX.png

Enemy peripheral vision area at night.

glbOWjl.png

Inventory changes including new weapons and sight attachments.

Y375PAz.png

New warehouse map (wall transparency also showcased).

3N0rtzE.png

Unalerted enemy vision range.

4jBQUPP.png

Mission briefing screen improvements with squad selection.

t90YbKY.png

Enemy reinforcements can be prevented by disabling the radio.

nR9O15q.png

New missions on the strategic map.

Other changes

Gameplay
  • Stances have effect on accuracy and defense.
  • Running out of stamina decreases movement speed.
  • Medical items can be consumed after use.
  • Suppressors are no longer always present in weapons.
  • Real-time improvements (AI movement, stamina regeneration).
  • Peek improvements.
  • Doors are now locked in Prisoner-level.
  • Dimitri's character is transferred to the player squad in the Prisoner-mission.
General
  • Wall transparency for walls and buildings.
  • Improved tile selection between floors.
  • Improved unit highlighting.
  • Improvements to tile overlays.
  • Campaign save versioning (to prevent errors due to outdated save files).
  • Autosave improvements (continue-option added to main menu).
  • Armor & magazine items show capacity in inventory.
  • Time of day: morning & evening now shorter, night & day longer.
  • Camping in strategic map now allows player to set duration.
  • Character animation, ragdoll & IK improvements.
Graphics
  • Minimum supported resolution changed to 1280x720.
  • Disabled resizable window for windowed mode.
  • Lighting adjustments and ACES tonemapping
  • Temporal anti-aliasing added
  • Volumetric lighting quality setting added
  • Ambient occlusion optimizations and new ultra quality option added
  • Directional shadow quality improvements
  • Increased quality of few assets
  • Inventory lighting optimizations and fixes
  • Bloom adjustments
  • Adjusted muzzle flashes
  • Optimizations for UI translucency, post-processing, terrain and clouds

geno

Savant
To bussy with the backlog to give it a try but I like how agile it seems in the video. It worries me how they can keep things interesting for an entire campaign considering you fight thugs and nothing else but I feel like this will be The TBT for me.
Edit: Maybe I made a typo.

ArchAngel

Arcane
JA3 killer still chugging along

End State Update 0.4.0

Development news
So two months have passed and we are now ready to release the next update. The original plan was to release a smaller patch by the end of January and then a bigger update by the end of February, but those then merged into just one. I realize we should better communicate our timelines (and the subsequent failure to stay in those timelines). So here we go: the next update will be released at the end of March, and the focus will be content.

The game is still rough in many places, but I am happy with our current pace and progress. I feel confident that if we can keep up this momentum the next updates can bring the game closer to completion. That said there are still important features missing, not enough content and lots of polishing to do.

Thanks for your support and feel free to comment!

-phosphorous

So what’s in the update?
The biggest change in this update is the overall increase in ranges.
  • Vision range is more than doubled (now 64 tiles, time-of-day also affects the range).
  • Levels are generally twice as big (from 64 to 128 tiles), however some smaller levels still remain.
  • Shooting mechanics have been overhauled (hit chances over distance have been increased, fire-modes and sight attachments added).
  • New peripheral vision that allows enemies to notice movement and investigate.
  • New weapon models (tiered generic items have been replaced).
  • Basic melee attacks have been introduced (knife and unarmed).
  • Items such as vests provide item slots (carrying too many affects movement speed).
  • Enemy reinforcements can now be prevented by disabling a radio in the level.
  • New objective: Eliminate target (find and kill specific enemy).
  • New missions (3) and improvements to old missions.
eUxxYGX.png

Enemy peripheral vision area at night.

glbOWjl.png

Inventory changes including new weapons and sight attachments.

Y375PAz.png

New warehouse map (wall transparency also showcased).

3N0rtzE.png

Unalerted enemy vision range.

4jBQUPP.png

Mission briefing screen improvements with squad selection.

t90YbKY.png

Enemy reinforcements can be prevented by disabling the radio.

nR9O15q.png

New missions on the strategic map.

Other changes

Gameplay
  • Stances have effect on accuracy and defense.
  • Running out of stamina decreases movement speed.
  • Medical items can be consumed after use.
  • Suppressors are no longer always present in weapons.
  • Real-time improvements (AI movement, stamina regeneration).
  • Peek improvements.
  • Doors are now locked in Prisoner-level.
  • Dimitri's character is transferred to the player squad in the Prisoner-mission.
General
  • Wall transparency for walls and buildings.
  • Improved tile selection between floors.
  • Improved unit highlighting.
  • Improvements to tile overlays.
  • Campaign save versioning (to prevent errors due to outdated save files).
  • Autosave improvements (continue-option added to main menu).
  • Armor & magazine items show capacity in inventory.
  • Time of day: morning & evening now shorter, night & day longer.
  • Camping in strategic map now allows player to set duration.
  • Character animation, ragdoll & IK improvements.
Graphics
  • Minimum supported resolution changed to 1280x720.
  • Disabled resizable window for windowed mode.
  • Lighting adjustments and ACES tonemapping
  • Temporal anti-aliasing added
  • Volumetric lighting quality setting added
  • Ambient occlusion optimizations and new ultra quality option added
  • Directional shadow quality improvements
  • Increased quality of few assets
  • Inventory lighting optimizations and fixes
  • Bloom adjustments
  • Adjusted muzzle flashes
  • Optimizations for UI translucency, post-processing, terrain and clouds

We do not need JA3 killer, we need JA2 killer.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'llgive this a proper try in the summer. It should have gotten a couple of more updates by then.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
We do not need JA3 killer, we need JA2 killer.
umm I don't remember JA2 ever winning an RPGCodex GOTY award
In our defense, we didn't know that tactics is the new rpg way back when.

Same as Abu, I'm waiting for it to get more fleshed out. Hopefully together with Urban Strife
Jagged Alliance 2 is from 1999, few years before Codex even existed, duh.
Also, JA2 is a full blown crpg, possibly unlike other games of the series. CRPG is the new CRPG in its case.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
omg slow down
End State update 0.5.0
Here is a quick summary of what's included in this update. I wanted to write a more detailed post about these, but couldn't make it in time to publish this. So I plan to write that soon and post it here before the next update at the end of april!

Content updates
As mentioned in the previous post, we wanted to focus more on the content and here is a list of new levels included in the update.
  • 2x new Outpost levels
  • 2x new Roadblock levels
  • 2x World Events
  • 1x Hideout level
  • 1x Ambush level
  • Additional starting zones for existing missions
  • Field radios or antennas (to help disable reinforcements) for most missions
mgFzyRg.jpg
Roadblock

ASOCg1C.jpg
Hideout

Strategic map
We have been working on the strategic gameplay and introduced a number of improvements in this update. These are subject to change but should give an impression of the overall direction where we want to take it.
  • World events introduced
  • Roadblock logic changed
  • Ambush chance added
  • Hiring contracts
1UOlo5e.png
World event

82tMmhc.jpg
Ambush

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom