Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Escape From Ripag's Watch - A chaos Space Marine Quest

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
B - Probably too risky to hit the supposed location of the Space Marines, and I assume the Space Marine flyer that is being guarded would be better suitied to getting us off this rock versus what we can find in the airfield?
yes. The space marine flyer is a stormraven, which is more or less a flying, well-armored IFV, whereas the best you'd get from the airfield would be a valkyrie

Which one would make for the most SWAG ride?

The virgin metal bawkse?
BRONZE-STORMRAVEN-CUSTOM-CHAPTER-8.jpg

VS

The Chad death from the sky gunship?
73c0e543601a52a607bb467648c73b4c.jpg

Valkyrie14.png

Valkyriedarkpg132.JPG

I'm voting for B, where do you stand Oh Codex?

fixed the pic links.
For Chaos Space Marine, stormravens are much harder to acquire, compared to valkyries which can be found on any world with sufficient tech level, so that should count for something, right?

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
B.

I would rather have had the option to eat the brain of the dead space marine, so that we might have some further insight into locations, etc. before making a critical decision.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
FMt3kcJXMAEHdBC
Chapter 11: Makrimalli, Coda

You quickly move away from the command center and the bands of disorganized guards that still remains inside and around the building after the recent fights; only the dead and cowards are left in your wake, such is the natural way any confrontation between the Imperium and servants of the True Gods. Leaving survivors isn't that much of an issue, they would either spread tales of the power of Chaos or be killed in the Imperium's paranoid purges. You slip into the streets of the base, following the route found by Zephus toward the landing platform, traversing a disused part of the base, lined with empty barracks, rotting storehouses and training ground blasted by the many weapons available to the Guard. Zephus sneers at the decaying infrastructure "The foolish Imperials can't even maintain infrastructure in their most vital warzone. Pitiful."

"They think the galaxy belongs to them. Ha! We will break those delusions on the anvil of war sooner or later. And before that, their willful ignorance is useful to us, blinding the masses to the True Powers of the galaxy." you exult.

"Aren't we running away from them, though?" says Frax, looking askance your way.

"Ah, just a temporary and minor setback. But by the will of the Dark Gods we are overcoming the trials in our path to Glory!" you answer, while continuing to move towards your objective.

"I am ready to die and having known Procrus for as long as I do, it's the same for him. We do not fear death, but we're not interested in an useless or unglorious death, like being gunned down by hordes of jumped-up conscripts in a mop-up operation. Wars are not won and lost in a single battle and sometime it is better to live to fight another day. Unless you're a Khornate blood-mad killer who can't see further than his chainaxe, of course." Zephus continues the explanation.
And yes, it is true that the both of you (unlike Frax) have been together for a very long time, having been inducted around the same time in the Word Bearers legion, being blooded together in the Agrax campaign and serving in the same company during the Great Crusade and the Heresy, then in the same Host in the depths of the Eye, so much that he followed you into exile from the legion and in the warband you have subsequently led, until your present situation on Ripag's Watch.

"Even if sometime it looks like the Imperium is prevailing, do keep in mind, Frax, that the Long War is a war the Imperium can not and will not win and I intend to be there for their final defeat, when we will have revenge on the cursed Anathema and his transgressions against us and our legion." you finish, before picking up the pace, further into the darkened base.

====✳====​

Using the information you have from the command center, you avoid any hostile contact, in fact you don't see anyone other than a work crew, coveralls stained with grease and grime, busying themselves around damaged armored vehicles under the flickering light of lumen strips. You reward their diligence with a volley of bolts, just because you can, leaving broken bodies in your wake and the survivors fleeing into the night.

Just after the repair yards, you reach an expanse of flat ground illuminated by floodlights and dominated by the landing platform, a metal construction, stamped with the hated Aquilla, once painted in light grey, but now streaked with rust, with the pad standing four meters off the ground and accessed by a wide ramp. Despite its state of disrepair, the platform has seen some recent use, shown by the presence of barrels of promethium, strewn tools and piles of random spare parts.

Atop the platform sits your target, a flyer in the bright green livery of the Subjugator chapter, a squat machine all hard angles and straight planes, which seems to have already gone through hell and back, with the two lascannon in the turret not matching and the hull covered in bullet impacts of various size, discoloration from melta weapons hits, holes patched with welded plates and claw marks around the turret, as if some manner of feral beast had tried to claw its way inside the craft. But from what you had seen earlier today, it is still functional and you don't see anything that'd hint it can't take you into orbit.
But before you can claim it as your own, you'll have to deal with its defenders, a large pack of servitors, mindless automatons, unblinking eyes in vacant stares, currently blocking your way, with construction and repair servitors at the foot of the access ramp, crudely refitted to fight in close combat and on the platform above a row of gun servitors equipped with heavy bolters, which pose a much higher threat to you, even with the protection of your power armour.

Without much possible in the way of tactics or tricks against such mindless but vigilant opponents, you just charge straight at the platform. The moment you cross an invisible line, the servitors activate, guns loudly loading shells, circular saws revving, pneumatic hammers punching in the air, claws snapping open and close.

"Dark Prince give me speed!", you shout, a prayer and war cry both.

You rush too fast for the gun servitors, the bolts trailing you and leaving furrows of churned earth behind you. The first servitor you slam into at the end of your charge is obliterated by the impact, human and augmentics pieces flying in all directions.

"Lord of Battle give me strength!"

Your mace breaks metal-reinforced skulls, shatters joints both organic and mechanical, while the explosive ammunition of your bolt pistol unleashed a close range wrecks the artificial constructs. But unlike normal humans, servitors don't recoil in pain or cower in face of an overwhelming physical threat, they just continue to move and strike at you until physically unable to move, until their withered flesh and crude augmentics fail to follow the directives implanted in their brain. In the confused scrum, one of your parries is too slow and a circular diamond saw dig deep in your tight, cutting armor plates, myomer muscle fibres and the flesh underneath, drawing a spurt of blood and only Zephus' help prevent you from being overwhelmed, as he stabs the offending servitor before throwing it to the ground. From the corner of your eye, you see Frax jumping out of the melee as he tries to climb the ramp, but he gets repulsed by a shower of bolts, fresh wounds opening all over his breastplate, blood pouring freely and he falls back to the ground where he is swarmed by multiple servitors.
Realizing that the gun servitors will be able to freely gun you down once you've dealt with the repair servitors you're currently fighting, you change target.

"Changer guides me in battle!"

You grab a servitor, using it as a makeshift shield and then bull rush through the repair servitors, until you're climbing up the ramp; the moment you step on the incline, the gun servitors open fire again and bolts rain on you and your "human" shield which serves its purpose, catching most of the fire coming your way.

"Corruptor give me endurance!"

With each impact on the servitor, fragments of mummified flesh, splashes of oil and blood, bits of broken augmentics shower you, but you reach the platform having taken only a few glancing hits, the bolts ricocheting on your armour. Once on the platform, you throw your burden with a wordless shout, which sends two gun servitors to the ground and spoil the aim of others and then resume your bloody dance among this group. Burdened by their heavy guns, slowed by undersized servos and without much in manner of melee weapons, the gun servitors are an easy prey to your martial prowess and are quickly reduced to piles of mummified flesh and metal scrap.
Turning back to the foot of the ramp, you help Frax and Zephus finish the remaining servitors with a few bolts, leaving them standing on a field that looks like an unholy mix between an ork scrapyard and a Khornate charnel house; still most hereteks you've met would feel right at home there. They both join you at the foot of the space marine flyer, with Frax limping quite heavily from the volley of bolts and subsequent beating he's taken, with fresh blood splattered all over his armour, though it seems he has avoided any permanent damage.

"By the grace of the Dark Gods, we've reached our goal. Now let's get off this damned planet."

====✳====​

During your ascent into orbit, on multiple occasions your are momentarily locked on by auspex of the local air defenses, but with the trajectory you had chosen, the lock never last long; and any Imperial would have hesitated firing on a space marine craft, especially one broadcasting up-to-date loyalist identification codes.

Soon after the last clash at the landing platform, you stand behind the pilot's seat, occupied by Frax and in front of you, half the viewport is filled by Ripag's Watch, dirty dirt ball choked by the ashes of conflict, while the rest is filled by the starry expanse of the void, marred by the aftereffects of the space combats which have taken place and are still taking place in orbit since the start of the crusade. And if you lean a little, you can spot to the side the Eye of Terror, an haven for your kind and a constant reminder to the worshippers of the corpse-god of the reality of the powers of the Warp. At this vision, you feel elated, as you have escaped the trap that the planet had become for you, leaving you free to roam the stars once more for the glory of Chaos.

But you aren't out of the woods yet, as your current craft is unable to cross the expanse between the stars, so you look at the readings from the auspex and cross-referencing them with the intelligence from the command center, looking for ships that you could board to go back to the relative safety of the Eye.

First of interest are ships from Abbadon's crusade forces, two capital ship coming from an orbital bombardment run of a fortress on the ground and from where you are you can see the ruins still glowing from the awesome power meted upon them. The first is the Vessel of Thousand Sensations, a delicate dagger shape covered in artful tiered towers, kilometers long sigils and what looks like colorful gardens. But its capabilities belies its almost delicate apparence, as a volley of its lance batteries build into its flank break the shields of an Imperial light cruiser, before ravaging the hapless ships. The other ship is the Benediction of P'sar, its opposite in term of appearance, but not in combat effectiveness, as shown by how its macrocannon batteries finish the damaged cruiser in a titannic explosion. Bare of any ornementation save for a gigantic star of chaos on its flank, it seems the ship is just built of brutally functional blocks of iron and adamantium welded together, covered in weapons and engines. Those two are the only chaos ships left in lower orbit close to you, anything else having already left or been destroyed.

Looking at the Imperial ships, you imediatly discard the bigger imperial warships (one battlecruiser and a smattering of cruisers of various classes) as too risky to board, leaving a handful of frigate-sized ships as a possible options. The first is barely visible on auspex, a sleek and discreet courrier ship only identified as I-14.17u and you have a good read on its location only thanks to the intelligence gathered on the ground, otherwise its low profile would have made it too hard to spot with your auspex. There's also the Second Fire, a cobra class frigate, whose damaged thrusters had made it limp behind other its formation, leaving it isolated. And to finish there is a group of chartist vessels, marked as being impressed in Imperial service to ferry troops; those ships are ungainly, slow and poorly armed, but likely poorly crewed and defended and would be unlikely yo attract too much attention if you take control of one of them.
If you decide to board one of the Imperial ships, you'd have time to restock from the ammunition stores of the space marine flyer, apply first aid to your wounds and patch the many holes in your armour and decide on how to approach the situation.

So, in order to leave behind Ripag's Watch, you choose to go

[] Vessel of thousand sensations
[] Benediction of P'sar
[] I-14.17u
[] Second Fire
[] One of the chartist vessels

AN: Thank you all for following and participating so far! If you have any comments/remarks/criticism, either in general or on specific elements like dialogue, combat, story structure, CYOA structure/choices, transition scenes... I'm all ears.

When I started this quest, I though of stopping at the escape from the planet and just do one more part to serve as conclusion, with the choice of ship you're boarding having just an impact on that last part. But since I've been enjoying this, I was considering continuing it instead of going back to mysteries of Brocante (where I've got an outline for future adventures) or doing something else. So the choice of ship would condition what the next steps of the quest are: going on a chaos ship, you'd have another choice of getting dropped in the Eye of Terror and having adventures as a smaller group (channeling the Black Crusade RPG even more) or joining the warband aboard that ship, with the ultimate goal of taking control of all or part of it; on the Imperial ships, it'd either be taking control of it by hook or crook or at least using it to leave Imperial-controlled space.
So if you're interested in continuing this, say so.

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first is barely visible on auspex, a sleek and discreet courrier ship only identified as I-14.17u

...Inquisition?!

I'm torn between I-14.17u (on the hope it's an Inquisition ship) and Benediction of P'sar (Iron Warrior, in honor of Magnat).

I wouldn't mind continuing at all. Have you considered making this less CYOA and slightly more RPG-ish, with stats and maybe light tactical combat elements? Think treave's LPs. I wouldn't normally have suggested it since your earlier intention seemed to be for this to be a quick palate cleanser, but if you're going to make this go longer...

baud

Arcane
Patron
The first is barely visible on auspex, a sleek and discreet courrier ship only identified as I-14.17u

...Inquisition?!

I'm torn between I-14.17u (on the hope it's an Inquisition ship) and Benediction of P'sar (Iron Warrior, in honor of Magnat).
Well it's not explicitly an Iron Warrior ship because if you join the warband, I intend to let you vote on its composition, so depending on the vote it could be Iron Warrior, a mix of CSM from all legions or even a warband that's not led or dominated by space marines.

I wouldn't mind continuing at all. Have you considered making this less CYOA and slightly more RPG-ish, with stats and maybe light tactical combat elements? Think treave's LPs. I wouldn't normally have suggested it since your earlier intention seemed to be for this to be a quick palate cleanser, but if you're going to make this go longer...

I had though about that one or two times, but I've run in a few issues due to my own inexperience, so I never went forward with it. Also I have a hard time settling on a system that'd seem to work. For treave system's, does he rolls dice or just compare stats and skills to a set number?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I agree with hello friend and Kalarion.
The oddly named/numbered vessel draws me heavily. And if we choose not to take that one, then I'm for the Benediction.

baud

Arcane
Patron
So far the votes look like this

I-14.17u > Benediction of P'sar > chartist vessels

If one of the Imperial ships, there'll be another vote to decide how to approach before the next update (options would like direct assault/impersonating loyalists/infiltration and any write-in you can come up with)

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
For treave system's, does he rolls dice or just compare stats and skills to a set number?

I think what he does is expose the actual stats for his players' chars to his players and allows them to develop them to taste, but he runs the combat himself offscreen (you never see die rolls etc for instance, just his narration of their results). Every once in awhile he'll explain why something in his stories turned out the way it did.

Do yourself a favor and go read every single one of his LPs, you won't regret it. Non-Edgy Gamer used to have them all in his sig, but they're fairly easy to find in the CYOA subforum.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I think what he does is expose the actual stats for his players' chars to his players and allows them to develop them to taste, but he runs the combat himself offscreen (you never see die rolls etc for instance, just his narration of their results). Every once in awhile he'll explain why something in his stories turned out the way it did.
Yep. He also had a habit of putting the stats in a character sheet in the first post. He would sometimes roll during the game, but most of it was off screen.

Nevill also compiled a list of most of them. I'll do a list here, since I need to compile them for my own purposes anyway.

The best format for the finished ones is on CYOA Press:
Epic: Book I
Epic: Book II (thread for book 1 and 2)
Legend (thread)
Test Run (thread)
Spiral, which doesn't have a CYOA Press.

Though COYA Press doesn't seem to be updated for the unfinished later ones like Overlord or for ones that devolved into a bit of a dumpster fire, so it's best to use their threads:
Overlord (probably the most complete unfinished one)
Night of the Hummingbird
I'm a High Tech Hobo Who Stumbled into Another World While Out Scavenging For Parts
Tower

Tower was the last one he did before disappearing again, you may consider the prologue and several chapters complete though. It's worth the read if you like the others.

But that's all of them, in chronological order, AFAIK. treave is a CYOA master and deserves to be read. We all hope he'll come back eventually, but nothing is certain in this life.

I only wish other legends like @root were still around, or that root would at least have not nuked his account and wiped Dirge, which I very much enjoyed. I haven't checked the CYOA forum much lately, but back in the day, they'd bring me here regularly.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Would love to see more posts. In terms of suggestions, the only thing I'd say is that I prefer CHYOA's, whether RPG or purely text style to have real consequences. I feel like you went a little easy on us a few times in there, and I really like the feeling of "Oh shit if we pick wrong this entire adventure is going to be cut short". Other than that, adding some RPG elements could be cute but it's really not necessary if it would be too much of a hassle versus you just enjoying writing shit out as it goes. What other CHYOA are you doing, can you link?

As for the ship, just to double check, the Cobra Class Cruiser has a massive crew right? Thousands of people?

oscar

Arcane
[] Benediction of P'sar

Curious what combinations of options (if any) might have led us to a short end in this story?

baud

Arcane
Patron
Kalarion, NEG, thanks for the explanations. I had followed Tower when it was active, but I hadn't realized the role the stats played. I'll think about it.

What other CHYOA are you doing, can you link?

Also a 40k one, but much less combat heavy
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/inquisition-quest-mysteries-of-brocante.131845/

I put it on hold when I started this one.

As for the ship, just to double check, the Cobra Class Cruiser has a massive crew right? Thousands of people?

All ships capable of interstellar travel have crews in the tens of thousand (which include all the ships available as option), with cobra class around 15k, which is one of the smallest crew size for Imperial vessels. (also it's a frigate, not a Cruiser).

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I-14.17u

ItsChon All imperial warp capable ships have tens of thousands of crew with the exception of one or two raiders that are chaos oriented I believe. These things are cities, even if they're only a few kilometers in size.

baud

Arcane
Patron
I feel like you went a little easy on us a few times in there, and I really like the feeling of "Oh shit if we pick wrong this entire adventure is going to be cut short".

Yes, I go easy in CYOAs mostly because I don't have the balls to kill the main character and stop the adventure. But I'll try to remove the gloves for the next part.

Curious what combinations of options (if any) might have led us to a short end in this story?

To tell the truth, at the start I had a flowchart and a HP meter, with HP loss at some of the nodes so if you reached 0HP at any point, it would have been finished. But then I lost the flowchart and associated notes, so I don't have a clear idea of where you could have died, as I mostly went with the flow/what I remembered.
Though if you hadn't got Frax and Zephus with you (or other meat shields), you'd have gotten killed much more easily, like on your second run-in with space marines.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got it, so it would be a suicide mission. How large is the I-14.17u? It's a courier ship? Couldn't find any wiki info on that.

oscar

Arcane
This sounds like a fairly major choice. I assume if we go on one of the Chaos ships we'll fall under their chain of command? Is Procrus expected to make all effort to try and re-join his unit or is it more of an ad-hoc warband/pirate crew type situation? I voted for Benediction because I would enjoy seeing more Chaos characters and how their life is but turning corsair with a stolen ship sounds fun too.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Got it, so it would be a suicide mission. How large is the I-14.17u? It's a courier ship? Couldn't find any wiki info on that.

That ships is some kind of light transport, so (by Procrus' estimate), crew would be between 15k and 20k. Though if you try to take control of one of the Imperial ships, you won't have to kill everyone (and even then a ship without a crew is pretty much useless), just enough to convince the survivors to obey you. Or you could just hide and be a stowaway, but where's the fun in that?

This sounds like a fairly major choice. I assume if we go on one of the Chaos ships we'll fall under their chain of command? Is Procrus expected to make all effort to try and re-join his unit or is it more of an ad-hoc warband/pirate crew type situation? I voted for Benediction because I would enjoy seeing more Chaos characters and how their life is but turning corsair with a stolen ship sounds fun too.

If you go to one of the Chaos Ships, you'll be able to join the warband, falling under their chain of command. Or you could pay for passage to the Eye of Terror and continue adventures with the current trio.
Before the current events, Procrus was leading a small warband, which was all on board the ship that crashed earlier in the story and now him, Frax and Zephus are the only survivors, so they can either continue on their own or join another warband.

Unless vote result change (currently it's I-14.17u in the lead), tomorrow I'll post a sub-vote for choosing how Procrus approach the ship

baud

Arcane
Patron
FOUBnfTXwAYnqi0

Intermission

As you got closer to the ship identified as I-14.17u, you see that it broke away from the traditional design of Imperial ships, forgoing the decorative flourishes and armored prow prevalent in Imperial ships, including many merchant ships, and going for a much more flat and lean form, with powerful engines taking most of the available space. Continuing your inspection, you see it also has extensive auger arrays and weapons more befitting a frigate than a simple merchant, leaving only little space to carry any cargo. Despite its lower profile, it still got targeted sometime during the current campaign, leaving stadium-sized scorching on its armor plates and one of the gun in its laser battery blown outside of its barbette. During the time it took for Zephus to pilot your craft close to the ship, you raid the supplies onboard, resupplying your ammunition, adding a handful of grenades to your equipment, stitching a few wounds and applying repair cement to the biggest holes and gashes on your armour.

Now that the ship is within reach, you'll have to decide on how to proceed further. After discussing with Frax and Zephus, you find yourself considering three possible options:

A Using the codes you have access to, land in the hangar, then immediately attack, going for
-1 The bridge, where the captain is; though just taking control of it will likely not be enough to stop all resistance aboard the ship
-2 The enginarium; where the plasma reactor powering the entire ship and warp reactor are and giving easy access to life support, void-shields, sub-light engines and gellar field.
-3 The armory closest to the hangar, to prevent armsmen from arming themselves.
-4 The brig; maybe you can free punished crewmen to help you; or at least that'd spread some more chaos
- Write-in
B Using the codes you have access to, land in the hangar and pass as loyalist space marines; you to remove all obvious tokens of your true allegiance from your armour and wear makeshift tabards to cover most of it. You're no Alpha Legion, but you think you can make it work, as long as the Imperials aboard aren't too suspicious.
- But what are you going to ask/say to the Imperial crew: Write-in
C Land your craft next to the damaged section and infiltrate the ship via the damaged macro-battery, staying hidden for now.
D Take a third fourth option: Write-in

For this vote, I'll be counting each option before taking into account the sub-votes (so if there's four votes for immediate attack split between different sub options and three for infiltration, immediate attack would win, then I'd look at the subvotes).
Also I-14.17u is totally looking like the ship in the picture above, with just a different paint job (more white/grey than red)

Vessel of Thousand Sensations sounds fun.

Yes. I had one or two fun idea for the potential warband you would have met onboard that ship.

Fuck it, let's go big or go home. Suicide it is.

Well, I was considering that ship the hardest option for Imperial ships...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom