Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Escapist Says Dragon Age Is Better On The PC

Elzair

Cipher
Susan Arendt, the Senior Editor of the Escapist has posted a recent article that claims the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins is superior to the console version. Here are some highlights from the review.

A few months back, I was fortunate enough to visit BioWare in Edmonton and play Dragon Age: Origins for several hours.
I am a console gamer through and through. Which is why I feel like something of a Judas for saying that I will more than likely end up playing Origins on a PC, even if I have to borrow one to do it.
And let me state plainly that Dragon Age is a great game on the 360.
But having played both versions, it is clear to me that although Dragon Age can be played on a console, it should be played on a PC. It's just better that way.
Origins looks and feels like a natural successor to those games, which means it was designed with a mouse and keyboard and mind. BioWare has done an admirable job of shoehorning the plethora of control options into a 360 controller (using TARDIS technology to do it, I feel sure), but it just can't match the simplicity and intuitiveness of the PC. I played the 360 version for an hour or two, and was struggling with the controls the entire time, but had mastered the PC control scheme in mere moments.

Well, does this represent an incline of Bioware, or does it just restore the crappy status-quo* of pre-XBAWX Bioware?

* That would still be an incline, though.

Black

Arcane
dragon age
The fuck you're talking about son?
Almost every multi platform title is better on the pc. Doesn't mean that a piece of shit won't be a piece of shit on the pc.
I don't remember fallout 3 being good despite being better on the pc.

Elzair

Cipher
I don't remember fallout 3 being good despite being better on the pc.

What? I did not like Fallout 3 either, and I thought the PC interface was very wonky. It was as bad as Oblivion's, and that is saying something. I did not play the 360 version, but I did try it with a 360 controller, and I thought it played much smoother. I would have stuck with the controller, but the game featured no way to switch the thumbsticks, so it did not feel natural to left-handed me.

roll-a-die

Magister
I'm so glad I've trained myself to be ambidextrous. Left handed people just can't play console video games and have it feel natural.

Back on topic now. Yeah from the videos I have watched on giant bomb. The interface looks allot more... intuitive on the pc.

I should hope it plays better on the PC, considering it started out as a 'see, we still remember our homeys' type thing directed at the PC community. It wasn't until later Dragon Age got slated for consoles, and then the bullshit started.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Of course it's better on the PC. Everything is.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THIS TOPIC IS TOTAL FAGGAGE. OF COURSE THE PC VERSION IS BETTER ALSO OF COURSE THIS IS BIOFAG TRASH WHICH ONLY CONSOLETARDS SHOULD PLAY

Just about every game is better on the PC. You have to seriously screw up the port to make the game worse. See: GTA IV, DMC 3.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Overweight Manatee said:
Just about every game is better on the PC. You have to seriously screw up the port to make the game worse. See: GTA IV, DMC 3.

If by better, you mean the controll scheme i.e. KB+M vs Controller, then I've found it actually depends on a few things:

If it's a true multi-platform game i.e. it was designed from the get go to run on both console and PC -> then there's a good chance the PC version will play better with KB+M, but not always. e.g. Batman Arkham Asylum plays better with a 360 controller even on PC.

It also depnds on the genre. I've found that most (not all) 3rd person action games play better with a controller - BAA, DMC4, Prototype etc. Though again, a lot of these games are ports of the console version anyway.

Racing games and sports games a controller of some sort (wheel or console controller) is pretty much mandatory.

Of course where the KB+M rules supreme is with 1st person games (especially FPS) and strategy games (RTS & TBS) and most RPG's.

The PC has other advantages, in the processing/graphics depts. - assuming you have an up-to-date rig.

Also, don't forget some PS3 games actually let you plug in and use a KB+M. Don't know of any 360 games that support that, but I'm assuming MS wouldn't allow it because they still want people to buy PC's and run Windows.

The lines are certainly becomming more blurred than they used to be, that's for sure.

AlaCarcuss said:
Overweight Manatee said:

If by better, you mean the controll scheme i.e. KB+M vs Controller, then I've found it actually depends on a few things:

If it's a true multi-platform game i.e. it was designed from the get go to run on both console and PC -> then there's a good chance the PC version will play better with KB+M, but not always. e.g. Batman Arkham Asylum plays better with a 360 controller even on PC.

It also depnds on the genre. I've found that most (not all) 3rd person action games play better with a controller - BAA, DMC4, Prototype etc. Though again, a lot of these games are ports of the console version anyway.

Racing games and sports games a controller of some sort (wheel or console controller) is pretty much mandatory.

Of course where the KB+M rules supreme is with 1st person games (especially FPS) and strategy games (RTS & TBS) and most RPG's.

The PC has other advantages, in the processing/graphics depts. - assuming you have an up-to-date rig.

Also, don't forget some PS3 games actually let you plug in and use a KB+M. Don't know of any 360 games that support that, but I'm assuming MS wouldn't allow it because they still want people to buy PC's and run Windows.

The lines are certainly becomming more blurred than they used to be, that's for sure.

Actually, I meant purely on the basis of the port job. IE both of them run shitty while looking shitty even on excellent computers. Though, DMC 3 gets the thumbs up for keeping all in game references to the controller. "Press 3 + 5 to do the special attack. WTF? that just opens a menu. Fuck, it means press J + Space bar". I am probably very lonely in my insistence on playing and beating DMC 3 completely with a keyboard. :lol:. I haven't touched a controller in months, the only games I really think need it are flight/racing sims.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Susan Arendt: Motto "It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue." Gragt = Susan Arendt or these two need to hook up...

Zeus

Cipher
Black said:
Almost every multi platform title is better on the pc.

Seriously. Between mods and infinitely scaling hardware -- you can really crank up that resolution ten years from now, ya know? -- PC versions are better in almost every respect. I still like the control of a console, though. It's nice not to always have to hunch over a computer. Mouse+keyboard is best for strategy games and FPS's and whatnot, but sometimes it's nice to kick back with a turn based RPG and not sit three inches from the monitor.

Tycn

Savant
The whole argument for control is pointless anyway since if they ported a shit interface you can just use a controller.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
roll-a-die said:
I'm so glad I've trained myself to be ambidextrous. Left handed people just can't play console video games and have it feel natural.
Sometimes I wish I were left-handed when I'm playing fighting games. Maybe then I'd be able to do Zangief's motherfucking Final Atomic Buster.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
DreadMessiah said:
Susan Arendt: Motto "It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue." Gragt = Susan Arendt or these two need to hook up...

That dumb bitch got it wrong, the correct phrase is "It is pitch black."

Zeus

Cipher
Tycn said:
The whole argument for control is pointless anyway since if they ported a shit interface you can just use a controller.

Do any games have a special gamepad interface? I heard Oblivion lets you play with a 360 gamepad, but I always thought it more or less worked like those Joy2Key programs, with you using the analog joysticks to "move the mouse cursor around" to the right spot and then press a button for Enter. As opposed to, you know, just hitting a button for YES and nother button for NO, or whatever.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS YOUR GAY FANCYTALK IS RETARDED, EVERTHING IS BETTER ON PC AND IF YOU THINK DIFERENT STFU AND GO BACK TO GAMEFAGS

Mogar

Scholar
Everything's better on the PC. We still have the most precise, and elegant controller, best graphics (if we're willing to shell out loads of cash), better online support, and modding communities. All those together (well, with the possible exception of the last) won't save a bad game.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Mogar said:
Everything's better on the PC. We still have the most precise, and elegant controller, best graphics (if we're willing to shell out loads of cash), better online support, and modding communities. All those together (well, with the possible exception of the last) won't save a bad game.

actually mouse & keyboard suck for sports games, action games, platformers, and probably a few others

but you can just buy a gamepad for those so yeah pc is best

Zeus

Cipher
Mogar said:
We still have the most precise, and elegant controller

Precise? Yes. Elegant? I think not.

Keyboards are like PS2 controls. They have so many buttons that game designers got lazy and started to use them all. (Eventually that lead to moronic decisions like games that use the D-pad as a menu, not to mention L3 & R3, also known as, "Press too hard on the analog sticks while walking around and something stupid happens.")

mouseandkeyboardcombo.jpg

The keyboard is modeled after a typewriter. A typewriter isn't the best gamepad. The up/down/left/right keys are on the right, but we need to use our right hand to hold the mouse, so we've been walking around with !@#$ing W-A-S-D keys for fifteen years.

You call that elegant?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom