Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Escapist Says Dragon Age Is Better On The PC

Antagonist

Liturgist
Multi-headed Cow said:
Hmmmm. That sounds like a name with a vagina attached. Perhaps I should visit this internetomopage. :incline:

You might be on to something!

IMG_0535.jpg

Armacalypse

Scholar
Zeus said:
Mogar said:
We still have the most precise, and elegant controller

Precise? Yes. Elegant? I think not.

Keyboards are like PS2 controls. They have so many buttons that game designers got lazy and started to use them all. (Eventually that lead to moronic decisions like games that use the D-pad as a menu, not to mention L3 & R3, also known as, "Press too hard on the analog sticks while walking around and something stupid happens.")

mouseandkeyboardcombo.jpg

The keyboard is modeled after a typewriter. A typewriter isn't the best gamepad. The up/down/left/right keys are on the right, but we need to use our right hand to hold the mouse, so we've been walking around with !@#$ing W-A-S-D keys for fifteen years.

You call that elegant?
I think it's the most elegant controller out there. Compare it gamepads. I know a man who had to do surgery for the "Nintendo thumb" he got from using controllers with only his thumbs. That's pretty inelegant.

When I play action games on my PC I use every finger on my left hand, and three fingers on my right hand. The little finger is for Shift, Control and Caps Lock. The ring finger is used for Q, A, 1, Tab, and that button between Z and Shift. The middle finger is used for W, A, Z, 2 and 3. The index finger is used for E, R, D, F, as well as any other letter or number on the right side of my hand. The thumb is only used for Spacebar and Alt.

The only problem is when I can't sacrifice movement by letting go of W, A, S or D to push another button with the proper finger I have to do it with another finger. It's not a big problem though. If my middle and index finger is busy sidestepping backwards with S and D I use my thumb and ring finger etc, or if the button is adjacent I can even push two buttons at once with the same finger.

Zeus

Cipher
Armacalypse said:
I know a man who had to do surgery for the "Nintendo thumb" he got from using controllers with only his thumbs. That's pretty inelegant.

Cool story, bro.

You're right, nobody has to "do surgery" for keyboard strain.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Zeus said:
Mogar said:
We still have the most precise, and elegant controller

Precise? Yes. Elegant? I think not.

Keyboards are like PS2 controls. They have so many buttons that game designers got lazy and started to use them all. (Eventually that lead to moronic decisions like games that use the D-pad as a menu, not to mention L3 & R3, also known as, "Press too hard on the analog sticks while walking around and something stupid happens.")

mouseandkeyboardcombo.jpg

The keyboard is modeled after a typewriter. A typewriter isn't the best gamepad. The up/down/left/right keys are on the right, but we need to use our right hand to hold the mouse, so we've been walking around with !@#$ing W-A-S-D keys for fifteen years.

You call that elegant?

Nope, that's not too elegant - but this is:

1768010.jpg

I havn't used a full sized keyboard in years. I use one of these now and before that a Nostromo N52. Once you've used one of these babies, you'll never go back to a full-sized keyboard, the're just so comfortable and intuitive, also fully progamable.

Still used with the mouse of course.
:D

Multi-headed Cow

Antagonist said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Hmmmm. That sounds like a name with a vagina attached. Perhaps I should visit this internetomopage. :incline:

You might be on to something!

IMG_0535.jpg
Hahahahahaha! That picture is wonderful.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Nothing stops you from using 8456 instead of WASD, where you can also limit the buttons you use to the numpad. That's the beauty of PC-systems, freedom to configure. Except in crappy ports like Fallout3 which only allowed you to change some of the keys.

I played the 360 version for an hour or two, and was struggling with the controls the entire time, but had mastered the PC control scheme in mere moments.

There are like, 15 buttons. Anyone who "struggles" with a controller needs to buy better hands.

I know a man who had to do surgery for the "Nintendo thumb" he got from using controllers with only his thumbs. That's pretty inelegant.

He was doing it wrong anyway, so it doesn't count

The argument that keyboard was developed for typing is quite fucking laughable. What typing is all about? Pressing correct buttons, preferably as fast as possible.

What is gaming about? hurrr

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
Emotional Vampire said:
The argument that keyboard was developed for typing is quite fucking laughable. What typing is all about? Pressing correct buttons, preferably as fast as possible.

That's actually a pretty good argument :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .

Still, when on the Codex I prefer to argue Codex style:

GAMEPADS ARE FOR FAGS, CONSOLETARDS SUX MY C0CK!

Zeus

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
What typing is all about? Pressing correct buttons, preferably as fast as possible.

You can say that about any controller. It's not like gamepads are designed to press incorrect buttons slowly.

Nice try, Nancy. Think before you type.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Keyboard + mouse feels a lot more natural to me, and gives me a higher degree of control over what I'm doing. Cause I can use both hands and all fingers instead of just holding some thingie with buttons on it. Yeah, a mouse is also a thingie with buttons on it, but I only have to use one hand on it and it does stuff when I move it around, while a console controller doesn't. Not having to hold the keyboard in your hand and having it lying on the desk also adds a lot more mobility.

Also, I've been using a PC since I was about 3 years old so it's natural that PC controllers feel a lot more natural than console controllers to me. Still, there are objective advantages to mouse and keyboard over a handheld controller.

Silellak

Cipher
I was a mouse/keyboard guy for a long time, but these days I prefer a controller for most games I play.

Part of the reason is that I spend 8+ hours a day staring at a computer screen, using a mouse and keyboard. When I finish working, "in front of the computer" is the last place I want to be. And so began my devolution into an official consoletard.

Zeus

Cipher
Silellak said:
Part of the reason is that I spend 8+ hours a day staring at a computer screen, using a mouse and keyboard. When I finish working, "in front of the computer" is the last place I want to be.

Yeah, exactly. I wish there was a better way to kick back and play PC games, instead of hunching over the screen. A wireless trackball would take care of the mouse, but balancing a keyboard while sitting on a couch can be a little awkward. Maybe one of those weird "one handed keyboard" G-13 things someone posted would do the trick.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Or get a 50" HDTV, hook it up to your PC and sit on the couch, with the keyboard and mouse there. You can easily use optical mouse on a leather couch with no performance issues.

And I hope no-one seriously tries to claim that playing FPS-games is more "natural" or "simpler" on a pad. There's no way you can reach the same speed and accuracy with a gamepad - which is why pretty much every console shooter has some sort of auto-aim enabled by default.

Silellak

Cipher
GarfunkeL said:
Or get a 50" HDTV, hook it up to your PC and sit on the couch, with the keyboard and mouse there. You can easily use optical mouse on a leather couch with no performance issues.

And I hope no-one seriously tries to claim that playing FPS-games is more "natural" or "simpler" on a pad. There's no way you can reach the same speed and accuracy with a gamepad - which is why pretty much every console shooter has some sort of auto-aim enabled by default.

I work from home half the time, so during the day I need my PC to stay in my home office, and moving my PC to the living room every evening to game is simply not an option.

Well, it is an option, but it's a retarded option.

Would never claim FPS games are better on a pad, but I don't give two shits because that particular genre can fuck off and die until someone gets around to adding some innovation beyond "bullet time" or "with RPG features!"

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Ha! Well, you need to get two computers then! :D

Anyway, I can't think of any genre which would be simply superior on a gamepad. If I were a racing game fan, I'd buy wheel immediately and if I were flight-sim fan, I'd get a proper joystick, pedals and stuff. For everything else, keyboard+mouse is either better or atleast as good as a gamepad.

draexem

Novice
Emotional Vampire said:

That's actually incorrect, the QWERTY keyboard was specifically designed to slow you down. Why? Because back in the day people used typewriters and typewriters were notorious for jamming if you typed fast. So what they did was to rearrange the keys into some weird fuck pattern and told everybody to fucking type with that. Thus the QWERTY.

Using a Dvorak keyboard is not only quite a bit faster (it puts the most used letters on the home row) but significantly cuts down on the stress of your hands (your hands travel atleast 4 times the distance using a QWERTY keyboard than using a DVORAK).

Thus typing on a QWERTY keyboard is most definately not about pressing buttons as fast as possible.

Zeus

Cipher
draexem said:
Emotional Vampire said:

That's actually incorrect, the QWERTY keyboard was specifically designed to slow you down. Why? Because back in the day people used typewriters and typewriters were notorious for jamming if you typed fast. So what they did was to rearrange the keys into some weird fuck pattern and told everybody to fucking type with that. Thus the QWERTY.

Using a Dvorak keyboard is not only quite a bit faster (it puts the most used letters on the home row) but significantly cuts down on the stress of your hands (your hands travel atleast 4 times the distance using a QWERTY keyboard than using a DVORAK).

Thus typing on a QWERTY keyboard is most definately not about pressing buttons as fast as possible.

*slow applause*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom