Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Facebook buys Occulus Rift

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
His fans want to play Minecraft on the Oculus. The only people who suffer are fans.

This leaves me severely distressed. We should start a Kickstarter immediately to get a relief effort going for all those suffering people. Think of all those people, lying in the streets, their dreams shattered, with all perspective in their lives lost.

Mark Zuckerberg is contemplating disbanding Facebook because some fat developer finds his business "creepy"?

Duraframe300

Arcane
John Carmack

First Zenimax, then Facebook.

I wonder who buys the next company he joins.

Angthoron

Arcane
Facebook should make Minecraft their new platform. Imagine logging in with your glorious VR set to check your daily messages, then bang your desk with your majestic fists to gather some wood, all the while a blocky spider squeaks ads behind your back.

Facebook buys Occulus Rift

arZr7lN.gif

Considering Facebook is now caterinI cannot wait to enjoy a Virtual Reality full of elderly people by the time it comes out.
They and soccer moms can barely play anything outside of connect-the-fucking-colors so at worst it'll turn out to be this+some social media crap.

>want to play Morrowind on OR
>visit Balmora for the first time
>can't find Caius
>Dwemer Puzzle Box likes South Wall Cornerclub
>DPB is hireling in House Hlaalu inc.
>thank you merchant

Astral Rag

Arcane
"Facebook and Oculus are proud to present the next big advancement in Social Web2.11 ad-to-brain delivery systems and Immersive MMO gaming."

vrdeclined4qk38.png

SxrAa7Y.jpg

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The value comes from the people developing software for the oculus rift. Nobody gives a shit about the most perfect gaming system ever built if there are no games that run on it.

I'm assuming that's why many of the developers are pissed off. The company gets a big pay day but they don't get anything for bringing value to the company.

Sure, it will help the technology get released in a polished state faster, but I don't think OR is going to be the gaming device everybody was hoping for. Now would be the time for a new VR tech in development to come out of hiding and scoop up all the upset OR developers. Project Morpheus was the only other project I'd heard of, but I'm sure there are more out there.

I'm trying to think of ways Facebook could appease some of the people who bought into the kickstarter who are upset. Maybe refunding a portion (or all) of their kickstarter purchase. What did the kickstarter bring in for them, 2 million or so? That's nothing compared to what facebook bought OR for and it might do something to head off the PR nightmare.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

buzz

Arcane
The Oculus Rift gaming experience in a nutshell
gone-home-2.jpg

DearEsther1.jpg

ss_38d1265310b40c3bc49e32b2723b4e04feb883ae.1920x1080.jpg

falloutdoctor.jpg

alyx_halflife2_02.jpg

hiIqOvV.jpg

ARNtw.jpg

slender-the-eight-pages-03-700x373.jpg

ss_a503d355053ab9547ae30e85313055ced4d589a4.1920x1080.jpg

ss_6f3a383e7d64829263a9b7b9ab513bb693b68d30.1920x1080.jpg
Hope none of you were honestly hyped for the viewmaster-type of toy.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I won't be hyped for VR until it can actually interface with your brain.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Nono, it was going to be awesome. Sure, VR is virtually useless for isometric RPGs and third person games and feels awkward with voiced protagonists, but that still leaves gems like Skyrim, TESO, and Bloodlines. Just remember the treadmill peripheral so you can walk without breaking the immersion, and the two custom controllers for things like dual wielding, using shields, jumping, opening the inventory, saving the game, increasing stats at level up and selecting dialogue options. Would have been a huge hit with the indie dev scene. Alas.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
[Update: On the call to investors, Zuckerberg said "Oculus has the potential to be the most social platform ever." He also said that Facebook expects people will love using virtual reality, it will become an integral part of people's lives, and it could be the next important computing platform.]

The most social platform ever?

What, the thing that looks like this:

:hearnoevil:

Oh yeah I can totally see people putting on their VR helmets at work when their boss isn't looking to check if anyone commented on their status about how they're bored at work.

Also:

>Facebook and Oculus
>millions of people will be using the VR set up courtesy of Zuckerberg
>he installs a microchip that fries our brains when we try to take it off
>we can never leave, only if we gather a million likes and friends

" When the Chinese will release their VR version?."
>implying theirs will work
>implying theirs won't chingchong your pure japanese waifu
>implying your waifu won't look disgusted at you for using disgusting communist hardware (in 3D)

>Please log-in to Facebook to play Extreme Loli Waifu Rape Simulator VR 2016

potatojohn

Arcane
Bring a good idea to 5% completion, get bought by megacorp - every american startup's wet dream basically.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Stop me if I'm wrong : in this topic, socially akward people get to watch and laugh hysterically at socially inept people complaining that a device that would allow them to shut them off for the real world even more is bought by a social media company who emphasizes on friends.

This is fucking hilarious.

Last edited:

Misconnected

Savant
Soon NSA will have our retina scans too.

Everything but, sure. But it's hard to imagine a compelling consumer use for retina scanners. For example, a retina lock on a VR solution would make an already heavy thing even heavier for an inconsequential gain, so even if the cost of that tech would end up being practically zero when coupled with VR solutions, it would still exceedingly unlikely to become a part of VR solutions. Lots of non-consumers might like the idea lots and lots, but for the actual consumers it would be a bit like putting winter tires on their VR solution: not just pointless, but impractical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom