Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1-2 builds

Ryan muller

Educated
I wanna replay the first Fallout, but somewhat struggling to begin because it seems that the game is focused on optimal builds, while suboptimal ones don’t get the amount of entertainment one would get with the former. E.g. power armor and turbo plasma rifle are the best options armor and weapon wise, besides they both have a quest attached, which is why not going for them is like missing some sweet chunks of the game.

I am not as troubled by selecting the non-combat skills, but may as well have some fresh view on them. I have an indoctrinated opinion that investing in speech is a must, but what are the other skills that will be of the same value gameplay wise? Lock-picking and science are the two skills that I am inclined to consider to invest to, though I am not sure as to whether they are really worth (I only remember that computers sometimes were keeping some interesting options locked because of my p bad skill stat).

And finally what about stealth? Is it worth trying? I never picked this skill, don’t even know how the stealth system works in the game.
Yap, sneaking is definitively worth the investment

jackofshadows

Magister
I wanna replay the first Fallout, but somewhat struggling to begin because it seems that the game is focused on optimal builds, while suboptimal ones don’t get the amount of entertainment one would get with the former. E.g. power armor and turbo plasma rifle are the best options armor and weapon wise, besides they both have a quest attached, which is why not going for them is like missing some sweet chunks of the game.

I am not as troubled by selecting the non-combat skills, but may as well have some fresh view on them. I have an indoctrinated opinion that investing in speech is a must, but what are the other skills that will be of the same value gameplay wise? Lock-picking and science are the two skills that I am inclined to consider to invest to, though I am not sure as to whether they are really worth (I only remember that computers sometimes were keeping some interesting options locked because of my p bad skill stat).

And finally what about stealth? Is it worth trying? I never picked this skill, don’t even know how the stealth system works in the game.
Turboplazma is op, sure but you can go for big guns and to have lots of fun too.

Speech isn't mandatory skill at all, but it's certainly useful - hence so many people pick that, it also goes hand in hand with paladinish type chars while for evil ones it's rather the other way around.

Sneak is a great skill, very useful, it even works in combat. But it kinda goes against speech. Different archetypes and all that.

Don't forget about repair but you can raise it via books and speaking of that, consider investing in barter or gambling.

Jigby

Augur
I like the fastshot+supersledge build. The early game is a bit boring, you wipe out raiders with point blank bursts from the SMG, but at the end of Junktown/Hub beginning you conveniently hit level 6, just enough for Bonus HtH attacks and you also get the supersledge from Jacob. After that you're just popping moles with 10 attacks/round. Technically you can dump LU (no aiming with fast shot). With sfall you could do:

3: skip
6: Bonus HtH+Bonus Move
9: skip
12: 2x Lifegiver

.Pixote.

Augur
Just a heads up ladies and gentlemen, Fallout 2 RPU (Restoration Project Update) has new maps, upgraded maps from the original Restoration Project. They are cleaner, nicer, sexier, just better over the RP maps. The EPA ground level has been rebuilt - cleaner, simpler, just better than the shit I made earlier. The Abbey has also been cleaned up, much of the pointless junk has been removed.

This is not an official release for the RPU, that will be up to Burn if these maps will be officially included in the next build. Use the link below for the files and more information. Download the files, play them and get back if you have any issues with the maps.

https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/up-and-rp-updates.217877/page-13#post-4480769

The only major building redesign is in New Reno, where that stupid building is now a chapel of sorts!

Untitled-1.jpg

I made these for myself, and I don't care if anyone else ever plays them - I can never go back to the original game

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I want to make a melee fighter. Is Heavy Handed worth it? It says +4 melee damage which doesn't sound like much unless it's a percentage increase depending on the weapon.

jackofshadows

Magister
It's not much at all indeed and you deal worse crits which makes it a shit trait. You want max crits, same as with ranged. means either aiming for slayer or making aimed attacks etc. At best this shit is useful in the early game.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I want to make a melee fighter. Is Heavy Handed worth it? It says +4 melee damage which doesn't sound like much unless it's a percentage increase depending on the weapon.
You need high Endurance (more Hit Points, since you will take damage trying to get into melee and most enemies use firearms), Bonus Move (take this twice, since it gives you 4 action points for movement, which you will need), a good melee weapon (I like the Mega Power Fist, you can steal a Power Fist from Francis the mutant in Broken Hills, otherwise you are gonna either have to buy it or find it, then upgrade it).
Bonus Hth Attacks is also needed.
Slayer is mandatory, but you won't be getting this until level 24, which is a long way to go.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
You need high Endurance (more Hit Points, since you will take damage trying to get into melee and most enemies use firearms), Bonus Move (take this twice, since it gives you 4 action points for movement, which you will need), a good melee weapon (I like the Mega Power Fist, you can steal a Power Fist from Francis the mutant in Broken Hills, otherwise you are gonna either have to buy it or find it, then upgrade it).
Slayer is mandatory, but you won't be getting this until level 24, which is a long way to go.
What would my stat layout look like? Max agility, 6 Str, and like 8 end?

Gifted and heavy handed?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
AG is the most important stat by quite some distance and should be at 10. The rest is more or less up to you, but pumping EN and taking lifegiver to create a walking tank is fairly amusing. And then frustrating when you get KOd and critted repeatedly. Bonus dmg perks/traits are shit for close combat, but anything that let's you attack more times is as good as always.

Do note that with both melee and unarmed routes you will at some point start knocking opponents all over the place and it gets REALLY annoying after a while.

jackofshadows

Magister
As an alternative to pumping up hp (which is always great though) is to take sneak, it obviously speaking works great with melee. The only problem, arguably, that the sneak skill is too good, later on feels like abuse sometimes (you can end combat whenever basically).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Gifted and heavy handed?
Heavy handed is just not necessary.
Yes, max Agility (you can either leave it at 9 and take Small Frame trait or inject yourself with an experimental syringe you find in EPA, if you play with Restored Content that is, it permanently increases Agility by 1).
High Endurance is also necessary.
Strength either 5 or 6, remember you've got Power Armor and a memory module which increases Strength by 1.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Gifted and heavy handed?
You dont need more than 6 STR

you will get +4 from power armor (and 6 STR is the req for some weapons anyway)

CHA is a dump stat

END you can leave at 4 (or 5 if you love melee too much)

basically you can raise any stat permanently in the game (at least +1 times)

pump AGI and INT, they are the most important stats in the game

PER at 5 for the Awareness perk (very important)

Gifted is too OP, dont be a wuss.

if u need further help read Per Jorner's guide, its the best guide for FO1-2 and has legendary status

Snufkin

Augur
Only way to play unarmed/melee builds in Fallout 2 is to not play them. :-D

Athena

Educated
It's fun. Just because it's less optimal than ranged builds doesn't make you should discard it. It's funny to punch people in the eyes for +200dmg.

Melee weapons are kind of bad because of the knockback though.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

definitely viable, i did it many times

like ppl said, its fun to dress up in power armor and faceslap people through the walls

but fallout definitely suffers from a lack of build variety

Snufkin

Augur
Whats fun about punching stuff with spiked knuckles (and doing shit dmg) for half game? :roll: And dont say shit like getting jinxed is upgrade or Haymaker is good because it has knockback.

The Jester

Cipher
Name : Reast (Retard + Beast)

S 10
P 5
E 10
C 1
I 3
A 10
L 3

Unarmed
Melee Weapons
Throwing

Bruiser
Heavy Handed

d0e.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom