Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Fallout 2 is a theme park

DefJam101

Arcane
So will I get an actual definition of the term or is this like "LARPing" where it can mean pretty much anything you want
Pretty sure the classic Codex usage of "theme park" describes a game whose locations are spread evenly and nonsensically over a boring, flat landscape and have highly limited or zero logical connectivity. It has nothing to do with "thematic consistency". So, yes, you're right.

Job Creator

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
That's actually one of my beefs about the game. Each town is like a damned theme park. You have West World here, a few squares down is Oriental World. Head Northeast and you run in to Gangster World. Head North from there and you hit Sci-Fi Gone Wrong World.
Saint_Proverbius said:
Less civilization and HOMOGENOUS civilization. No theme park towns like FO2 had.

Sounds like thematic consistency to me

So will I get an actual definition of the term or is this like "LARPing" where it can mean pretty much anything you want
Theme park - a game where every or nearly every location has a different theme with tenuous ties to the themes of the game as a whole.

For example, the space ghouls quest in New Vegas was the Hubologists stuff done better because that Scientology knock-off had fuck-all to do with reinforcing Fallout's themes.

Uh, how is it any better? You get them some junk that they strap onto their cartoonish rockets, killing themselves minutes later. The ghouls are a slice of FO3 that snuck into the game while no one was looking.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
You have to admit though...that surprise "normal guy with the generic FO3 ghoul voice" was a nice piss-take. Similarly, has anybody else caught the "arrow through the knee" jab in WL2?

Servo

Arcane
I just would love to point out that we've been arguing about whether or not Fallout 2 is a theme park for a couple of pages now.

In a thread about Roguey is a troll.

Roguey was the first to mention it.

Also I'm kind drunk ATM.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Uh, how is it any better? You get them some junk that they strap onto their cartoonish rockets, killing themselves minutes later. The ghouls are a slice of FO3 that snuck into the game while no one was looking.
The ghouls are trying to escape the horrors of the Wasteland by guiding their rocket ship into a highly irradiated area where no one else will ever bother them. You can choose to kill them, but if they succeed, some of them will get bored and come back to help out Novac in a couple of the endings. This is better than "We want to go into space because of our wacky fake-religion"

It was also one of the first quests implemented, they started with Novac and designed outward.

DefJam101

Arcane
I just would love to point out that we've been arguing about whether or not Fallout 2 is a theme park for a couple of pages now.

In a thread about Roguey is a troll.

Roguey was the first to mention it.

Also I'm kind drunk ATM.
VSpxVnq.png

Severian Silk

I can see how most MMOs could be considered theme parks. But FO2? A real theme park would not have that much reactivity. It would go out of business.

Also, why all the hate for Roguey? She stays on-topic better than just about everyone at the Codex.

Servo

Arcane
I can see how most MMOs could be considered theme parks. But FO2? A real theme park would not have that much reactivity. It would go out of business.

Also, why all the hate for Roguey? She stays on-topic better than just about everyone at the Codex.

What does this mean?!

zwanzig_zwoelf

What does this mean?!
He registered almost 10 years before you did.
:troll:

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

What does this mean?!

Roguey always stays on topic. Her topics are stalking and trolling, not necessarily in that order.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom