Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.3.x

Cael

Arcane
A deleted content random encounter. The Restoration Patch bring him back in. The problem is that in the first encounter, he has 2 people backing him and they are all armed with knives/spears and they all have a much higher melee skill than you, and you are all alone with no armour and probably little skill in the weapons you do have. That means you are going to get butchered hard unless you have Unarmed or Melee tagged (even that, it is dicey). Kaga himself is virtually impossible to kill (he runs away after he gets wounded a bit and he has more than enough HP to last him running off the map) until much later.

He returns 4 more times, each time with more followers and better equipment. In the last one, he is armed with a gatling laser, plasma grenades (which he loves to chuck first, and since he usually starts the fight, he gets to go first) and wearing Advanced Powered Armour. His buddies are in Combat Armour, IIRC, and sports some serious gear. None of his encounters can be taken lightly, but when you have buddies, the battles become less one-sided. It is the first one that does most people in.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
They deleted Kaga for a good reason, the whole thing is fucking horrible. I think I'm just going to install the unofficial patch, FO2 has enough content such as it is without going through the cutting room.

Cross

Arcane
It's important to distinguish between restored content and 'restored content'. In the case of the latter there's no content being restored, but new content being created by modders who found some unused assets in the game files and speculated about what the developers would have had done with more time. Fallout 2's restoration project is full of this kind of 'restoration', which is why stuff like the EPA and the Kaga encounters stick out like a sore thumb: it's fanfiction.

There is some stuff that improves the game, like having an alternate solution for the quest to stop the raider attacks against Vault City, but it's very much in the minority.

Cael

Arcane
They deleted Kaga for a good reason, the whole thing is fucking horrible. I think I'm just going to install the unofficial patch, FO2 has enough content such as it is without going through the cutting room.
I found the encounters to be fairly well done in the sense that it is Kaga you have to kill to stop the attacks, and his buddies are basically chaff. In fact, they are chaff to the point that they generally won't have better equipment than you until the last fight or so. It makes it so that it isn't really worth it to "farm" the encounters by killing everyone except Kaga every single time until the last one. Kaga, on the other hand, will always have the best equipment on him and generally have a bit of other things as well, including significiant cash (over 1k) in the second encounter onwards. it becomes very noticable in the last encounter when he sports the earliest Gatling Laser you will find in the game, although an encounter or two before will have him sporting miniguns.

Best way is just to charge him and shoot him in the head and hope for a knock out before cutting apart his buddies and then him while he is still under the influence of a bullet to the skull.

2nd Kaga encounter you take a few shots to wear him down, then run up point blank and burst an SMG into his chest. Easy kill.

The later encounters sound a bit bullshit. Does it go by time or area completion? If it's the former I could see having a playthrough screwed. Never seen them though.

Cael

Arcane
2nd Kaga encounter you take a few shots to wear him down, then run up point blank and burst an SMG into his chest. Easy kill.

The later encounters sound a bit bullshit. Does it go by time or area completion? If it's the former I could see having a playthrough screwed. Never seen them though.
Both your level and area.

The last one, for example, only happens at level 16+ and in the area between San Fran and Redding. You really shouldn't be in that area until you are heading for San Fran anyway.

The second last one is level 12 to 16 and in the area between Broken Hills and NCR.

Something like that. The Restoration Patch walkthrough that is online actually tells you the exact areas and levels. You can skip to a later fight if you didn't get one or more of the previous ones and you meet the area and level criteria.

Sykar

Arcane
These new locations on map and Karga were awful. You got fedex stuff or horrible things.
Though I forgot why I dropped it last time, maybe some techincal stuff and boredome?
Only good thing? Music in Primitive Tribe.

Still waiting for Hexer's Van Burren mod.

my gf's first playthrough and she said FO1 was way better because 2 had such retarded content
you got wise girl, marry her.

Yeah that is the problem if all you have are fragments of cut content and have to fill the huge gaps with your own ineptitude in writing.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Btw is Sduibek still doing Fallout Fixt?
Yep, but it's going super slow and it didn't help that he went awol for a year. Been waiting for his next version of fixt for years now. After the next update to Fallout Fixt he's going to put all his energy into bringing Fallout 1 into the Fallout 2 engine and that will be super sweet. But will probably take a couple of years as well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Long time since I played FO2 with Restorated Crap in it. Kaga - sure you can work around this shit but it does not change the fact that it's still crap that was removed for a good reason. That's why people don't like modders - they add as much stuff as possible without thoughs like "is this really necessary?" or "does it break the balance"?

I remember Sulik's tribe but only good thing here was music track, dare to say one of the best tracks in the whole game. Shame it's glued to worst location ever. It's like Arryo 2.

Abbey? Not so much to do, nothing memorable except this pile of trash nearby the machine you're supposed to fix. No memorable characters either.

EPA is the best content from RP, finding what happened and what you can get from this. But if you break the quest sequence you can just go away cause there is nothing you can do now.
Plus - underground tunnels giving me Alien flashbacks as a marine.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wha are the benefits of porting FO1 engine to FO2? Game looks mostly the same, and mechanics same?

Are there any other mods other than Fallout Fixt you should install now? Or should you wait for Fallout Fixt next verison ?

Cael

Arcane
Wha are the benefits of porting FO1 engine to FO2? Game looks mostly the same, and mechanics same?

Are there any other mods other than Fallout Fixt you should install now? Or should you wait for Fallout Fixt next verison ?
FO2 has far better inventory control for both you and the NPC. That alone is worth considering.

FO2 has far better inventory control for both you and the NPC. That alone is worth considering.

Also party member AI control, ability to bump NPCs out of the way, more perks, unarmed combat moves.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Mengsk The fallout script extender, sfall, only supports fallout 2 as of many versions ago. Other than some QoL changes, putting FO1 in FO2 lets people leverage sfall for Fallout 1 fixes/mods.

Fallout 2's restoration project is full of this kind of 'restoration', which is why stuff like the EPA and the Kaga encounters stick out like a sore thumb: it's fanfiction.

Actually a lot of the stuff in game is pretty much copied verbatim from design docs that Chris Avellone found and put in the Fallout Bible. EPA and Kaga were pretty well-documented, actually. I don't think there was much in-game about Sulik's tribe, if at all.

Cross

Arcane
design docs
Which is not the same as restored content. At all. If Tim Cain were to hand a two-page draft of his idea for a quest over to Bethesda, would you expect the final product to do justice to or even resemble what Tim Cain envisioned? That's what Fallout 2's 'restoration' project largely does (though admittedly still better written than Fallout 3 and 4).

design docs
Which is not the same as restored content. At all. If Tim Cain were to hand a two-page draft of his idea for a quest over to Bethesda, would you expect the final product to do justice to or even resemble what Tim Cain envisioned? That's what Fallout 2's 'restoration' project largely does (though admittedly still better written than Fallout 3 and 4).

Yeah, I get what you mean.

Honestly, I think the reason Kaga sucks is less because of the concept, and more because Fallout's combat mechanics do not do justice to such a opponent at all. So what we get is some weird nearly bulletproof man-mutant that somehow does not die unless you thrown inhuman amounts of gunfire at his general direction. In a more complex game, Kaga would be a clever opponent that hides behind his goons and deploys things like smoke grenades to cover his escape.

It does not help that Kaga encounters are pretty much forced trash combat.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I see how one might yearn for more, but if anything, FO2 would benefit from actually cutting down content. Make it more concise like it's older brother.
If you wanna scratch the itch get one of the Slavout mods, they're great.

Snufkin

Augur
Wouldn't beating Kaga same way as ants and scorpions work? Hit + run + end turn.

Cael

Arcane
Wouldn't beating Kaga same way as ants and scorpions work? Hit + run + end turn.
He has too much AP for that, I think, plus he has 2 other guys with him on the first fight, and the numbers go up from there.

Snufkin

Augur
He has too much AP for that, I think, plus he has 2 other guys with him on the first fight, and the numbers go up from there.
Well there is also old good trick, spam "a" on keyboard while encounter is loading. This way you will get first round. I also recommend one hander trait, this way it's easier to hit aimed shots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom