Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.3.x

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wouldn't beating Kaga same way as ants and scorpions work? Hit + run + end turn.
He has too much AP for that, I think, plus he has 2 other guys with him on the first fight, and the numbers go up from there.
It depends on where you encounter him and at what level.
High level and near San Francisco he has fucking Advanced Power Armor, throws Plasma Grenades at you and your party members, has a Gatling Laser AND 4-5 goons with him (they sport mostly Power Fists, Plasma and Needler Pistols).
Fuck this fight.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Kaga is one of these things which was cut out for a good reason: It's shit, and should had never been restored.

Cael

Arcane
Wouldn't beating Kaga same way as ants and scorpions work? Hit + run + end turn.
He has too much AP for that, I think, plus he has 2 other guys with him on the first fight, and the numbers go up from there.
High level and near San Francisco he has fucking Advanced Power Armor, throws Plasma Grenades at you and your party members, has a Gatling Laser AND 4-5 goons with him (they sport mostly Power Fists, Plasma and Needler Pistols).
Fuck this fight.
You can run into him straight out of Aroyo. He has 2 others with him with spears and you probably have the combat ability of a limp rat.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fuck this fight.
You can run into him straight out of Aroyo. He has 2 others with him with spears and you probably have the combat ability of a limp rat.
Yeah.
Obviously the sensible thing is to just run away (like you would from other encounters, especially at low level).

Cael

Arcane
Fuck this fight.
Yeah.
Obviously the sensible thing is to just run away (like you would from other encounters, especially at low level).
If you are playing a slow build for whatever reason, you're basically dead. With my typical End 2 build, I leg it out of there faster than Sir Robin.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fuck this fight.
Yeah.
If you are playing a slow build for whatever reason, you're basically dead. With my typical End 2 build, I leg it out of there faster than Sir Robin.
I'm more of a End 4 fan myself.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Kaga is one of these things which was cut out for a good reason: It's shit, and should had never been restored.
Honestly he would work much better as a set of scripted set piece fights the player stumbles into while exploring the wastes.

As they are now, they’re stupid and encourage the player to gear and skill up asap.

Imo the best parts of Fallout 2 are drawing out the power curve at the low end, being weak and struggling against the world is the best way to align play with the tone of the world. Early Kaga encounters are diametrically opposed to this style of play.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
tbh if you're equipped to have an opinion on Kaga's inclusion, the game's a solved problem for you anyway
appreciate it for the novelty, or just handle it like a real man (who plays FO2)!

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Honestly he would work much better as a set of scripted set piece fights the player stumbles into while exploring the wastes.

As they are now, they’re stupid and encourage the player to gear and skill up asap.

Imo the best parts of Fallout 2 are drawing out the power curve at the low end, being weak and struggling against the world is the best way to align play with the tone of the world. Early Kaga encounters are diametrically opposed to this style of play.
Yeah, I wonder what was the original plan for implementing Kaga.

motherfucker

Educated
Most of RP content is. The only thing that was really cut because of time constraints was Den Residential. More than that, some parts of the mod(can't remember which, sorry) sprung from as little as being offhandedly mentioned by some dev in some interview and then were completely invented by Killap off of that. It's the Fargus of cut content restoration mods

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Yeah, I wonder what was the original plan for implementing Kaga.
You should read the Fallout Bible by Chris Avellone Himself.
Clarifies a lot of things from pre Bethesda Fallout.

Cael

Arcane
Most of RP content is. The only thing that was really cut because of time constraints was Den Residential. More than that, some parts of the mod(can't remember which, sorry) sprung from as little as being offhandedly mentioned by some dev in some interview and then were completely invented by Killap off of that. It's the Fargus of cut content restoration mods
The Ag Centre thing?

agris

Arcane
Patron
The EPA is bollocks and Sulik’s village feels like more filler in a game full of filler

Cael

Arcane
The EPA is bollocks and Sulik’s village feels like more filler in a game full of filler
Well, the EPA is the only way to get a permanent Agi boost. For everything else (except End), there is something that allows you to boost them.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, the EPA is the only way to get a permanent Agi boost. For everything else (except End), there is something that allows you to boost them.
I thought the EPA was pretty cool, except for those plants who spew those poisonous darts at you. They are very accurate and even punch through Power Armor, though they do little damage.
Yeah, you even get a Syringe with an unknown substance that permanently increases your Agility by 1.
You also get other goodies.

Cael

Arcane
I thought the EPA was pretty cool, except for those plants who spew those poisonous darts at you. They are very accurate and even punch through Power Armor, though they do little damage.
Yeah, you even get a Syringe with an unknown substance that permanently increases your Agility by 1.
I don't really recall anything that stands out. The solar scorcher is an OK thing, nothing spectacular. I suppose the extra companion would count, but I don't recall it having any additional lines.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't really recall anything that stands out. The solar scorcher is an OK thing, nothing spectacular. I suppose the extra companion would count, but I don't recall it having any additional lines.
There's three potential companions, but you can only recruit one.
I like Cat Jules, he is skilled with most ranged weapons (including Plasma and Pulse rifles) and eventually gains 10 Action Points.
Kitsune and that psychopath killer are not that good.
My party setup on my last saved game was - Sulik, Cassidy, Marcus, Skynet and Cat Jules.

Jigby

Augur
EPA has the ganja drug, which temporarily increases LU. That technically broadens possible character builds, you can now get Better Criticals/Bonus Ranged Damage even with starting LU1. Other than that, EPA is horrendously overengineered. The new map in RPU28 is nice, but it's only the ground level I think? And it doesn't solve the overcomplicated adventurish quests. Even worse, EPA is integrated with the other game locations - Abbey has a quest with it, and the mad Shi scientist too.

The Sulik's tribe camp while banal happens early enough in the game that I still have energy to go trough with it. Also it's one of the few game locations with coastal maps. And I always liked the small slaver map with Sulik's sister - just a small contained single map level with just enough opposition.

Abbey's redeeming quality to me is that it has a Stealth Boy, the only in the game.

The locations that I liked the least (apart from EPA) are around San Fran - the mad Shi scientist, the Hubologist hideout, the submarine. At that point I'm too burned out on the game to deal with all of the crap - can you just allow me to see the "Welcome to Enclave" animation and see the ending slides?...

That said, I'm too used to playing the game with RP so I still usually play with it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
EPA has the ganja drug, which temporarily increases LU. That technically broadens possible character builds, you can now get Better Criticals/Bonus Ranged Damage even with starting LU1. Other than that, EPA is horrendously overengineered. The new map in RPU28 is nice, but it's only the ground level I think? And it doesn't solve the overcomplicated adventurish quests. Even worse, EPA is integrated with the other game locations - Abbey has a quest with it, and the mad Shi scientist too.

The Sulik's tribe camp while banal happens early enough in the game that I still have energy to go trough with it. Also it's one of the few game locations with coastal maps. And I always liked the small slaver map with Sulik's sister - just a small contained single map level with just enough opposition.

Abbey's redeeming quality to me is that it has a Stealth Boy, the only in the game.

The locations that I liked the least (apart from EPA) are around San Fran - the mad Shi scientist, the Hubologist hideout, the submarine. At that point I'm too burned out on the game to deal with all of the crap - can you just allow me to see the "Welcome to Enclave" animation and see the ending slides?...

That said, I'm too used to playing the game with RP so I still usually play with it.
Have you used the Stealth Boy in Fallout 2? What exactly does it do, and does it actually work? Never used it myself, because stealth is really not my thing.

Jigby

Augur

Have you used the Stealth Boy in Fallout 2? What exactly does it do, and does it actually work? Never used it myself, because stealth is really not my thing.
You kind of have to understand how sneak works
-> https://github.com/falltergeist/falltergeist/wiki/Stealth
-> https://github.com/alexbatalov/fall...f88ec531bb8ac/src/game/combatai.c#L3290-L3344

Every critter has a detection range in which you can be seen/heard. The range is PE*5, if you're within the line of sight and PE otherwise. You can further lower the detection range by:

1> Successful sneak check lowers by 75%, unsuccessful lowers by 33% (so always have sneak turned on, even when you have no skill points invested)
2> Lower critters PE with booze.
3> Stealth Boy lowers the range by 50%, if you are within the LOS.
4> Sneak skill 121%+ lowers by 1 hex (it's lowered after everything else has been applied, so the effect is significant)
5> Move outside the LOS (where the range is only PE)
6> You can technically reposition the critter, to move it to some less desirable spot.

Sneak in general is broken, you can turn a 1v20 combat into 20x 1v1 duels. Stealth boy makes it much easier, lowers the range by 50%!

edit: out of LOS the range is PE, not PE*2... fixed

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I played F2 with Restoration Project years ago and wasn't very fond of it. The additional content was mediocre at best and some like Kaga was super annoying. Fallout 2 has enough content already. Mods just need to fix the existing bugs. For any additional content a full spin-off mod like Nevada is the way to go.

motherfucker

Educated
Lower critters PE with booze.
Booze is broken even without sneak. Back when I was a wee lad, I did the Metzger fight by grabbing every drink I could get for free up until Den, then using them all on each of his guards. You're then free to start combat and shoot them, they won't aggro unless you get right next to them(RIP melee builds)

Jigby

Augur
Yeah, lower PE, lower detection range. But it does feel cheap :). Kind of like using 2x Jet then sleeping for 10 minutes for the penalties to kick in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom