Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2: This game has no forgiveness

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does this game have level scaling? Between Reno and NCR I run into Deathclaws O.O and I assume it's because I am level 16 (almost 17). Encounters are annoying as fuck since I can't kill them yet. Also, I found some creepy perv named Myron. Is he worth getting and ditching Cass or Vic? Vic has repair so I might keep him though. I was tempted to get Marcus too but idk... Marcus, Sulik and Myron might work too.

edit: I am still resisting not running to Navarro and getting geared.

I am also thinking about taking my science to 100 and then working on repair but so far I did not need repair and science was useful only when I interacted with terminals. I don't think it's as useful as it was in NV.

Myron is needed for Jet Antidote Quest and useful in EPA (Location added in Killiap restoration mod); you also should roll CHA 10 character and take entire team: Vick. Sulik; Cassidy, Marcus and Myron and your robo dog... Ghoul and Your wife/hubby for added comedy relief... When you finish their quest you can always sell them after all. :smug:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Whenever I read threads like these (people posting their experiences from the game) they always reinforce my already established opinion that F2 is not only one of the best RPGs but one of the best games in existence.

To hell with narrative and internal inconsistencies - the sequel offers so many possibilities that it still boggles my mind how something so expansive could be made in less than two years of development time, even if it did only expand on already preexisting setting/engine/assets.

:hero: to Black Isle. :incline: is definitely present in the last few years, but despite my optimism I seriously doubt games will ever become this good again. :negative:

It would be interesting to see a map of random encounter zone difficulties, if such a thing could even be made (not sure how FO chooses random encounters). Anyone know of such a thing?

laclongquan

Arcane
You must have meant the western and southern land of New Reno because east of NR is Broken Hills, which due to Unity patrols as well as mobsters, no dangerous animals like that remain. Wolves are plenty, but not centaurs.

The NR western and southern though, is the bane of central Fallout2. THey are the reason the cattle drive as well as NR-NCR caravan can be so dangerous. Centaurs, aliens, ugh~ A low level characters take on a caravan job of that route can get killed 3-4 times each trip.

bloodlover

Arcane
So erm...
I found the location of Vault 13 after doing a quest for Tandi, did a quest in Vault 13 and I was just handed a GECK O.O Isn't the GECK supposed to be some kind of HOLY SHIT precious thing that is hard to get and now a deathclaw just gives me one for a module I bought for 2500$ in Reno...?
That's it? All I have to do now is return to Arroyo and game over? I still have not reached San Fran, I still want to explore EPA and I am almost level 21.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So erm...
I found the location of Vault 13 after doing a quest for Tandi, did a quest in Vault 13 and I was just handed a GECK O.O Isn't the GECK supposed to be some kind of HOLY SHIT precious thing that is hard to get and now a deathclaw just gives me one for a module I bought for 2500$ in Reno...?
That's it? All I have to do now is return to Arroyo and game over? I still have not reached San Fran, I still want to explore EPA and I am almost level 21.

The game doesn't end there.

T. Reich

Arcane
So erm...

Don't worry, once you get GECK, you will have to pass through another Temple Of Trials, stripped of all your wordly material possessions.

It's the best part of the game.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm level 7 right now, and I got Vic, Cassidy, Sulik and Lenny. Also I killed a deathclaw. Doing alright I would say.

T. Reich

Arcane
I'm level 7 right now, and I got Vic, Cassidy, Sulik and Lenny. Also I killed a deathclaw. Doing alright I would say.

Just wait until you meet them in packs, and even the youguns' have like 100 HP :troll:

By that time he'd have some heavy duty equipment. Seriously, encounters in FO2 are not hard unless you are rushing unprepared in areas where you shouldn't be yet. Ok, or you've got shit luck + outdoorsman.

laclongquan

Arcane
Bring your GECK back to Arroyo and your tribe will hold an orgy party to honor your achievement. Hakunin's herbs are involved. After that, get back to New Reno for the promised date with Madam of Cat House.
Run baby run~

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
As much as I've had bad starts to FO2, I've also had some pretty lucky ones as well. I've had the first random encounter be (iirc) raiders fighting a caravan. It was pretty awesome in that most of the raiders were killed, then I just looted the bodies for smgs. Of course, I've had starts where I die about 1 minute after walking into the waste, before I thought to save... It's the best of games, it can be the worst of games...

T. Reich

Arcane

Just wait until you meet them in packs, and even the youguns' have like 100 HP :troll:

By that time he'd have some heavy duty equipment. Seriously, encounters in FO2 are not hard unless you are rushing unprepared in areas where you shouldn't be yet. Ok, or you've got shit luck + outdoorsman.

Five words: Remnants of the Master's Army.

Likely encountered south of New Reno and East of NCR, both being places where you can get some good equipment (weapons and armour) that is good enough to tackle them.

T. Reich

Arcane
The bane of a player with properly high sequence score and decent outdoorsman skill, travelling by car? Or the bane of someone who wasn't careful enough and thus deserves a face full of high explosive?

I take it none of the Ironman players ever make it to Navarro except by sheer dumb luck? Because Enclave partols are so much worse than muties.

bloodlover

Arcane
Hm... is the perk More Criticals worth getting?
I can't decide what to pick at 21 . I want to use mentants to get Per 8 later for the Sniper perk (I just have 6 PE now though I would have made it higher and lowered EN if I would have known) and more crit is alaywas good, especially with 7 Luck but I mean...5%? I am also thinking of getting PE from 6 to 8 by one implant (if it's possible, though it should be since I can do it for other stats) and one Gain PE perk. I am not sure... Can you pop a drug, get a perk and then still keep the perk after the effect of the drug wears off?

I think I will just go for the safe route and see if I can find some PE implant around. It would also work with my RPing. Btw how many implants can you have? Would be hilarious if I could use them all at the same time. :lol:

Yes, take drugs and qualify for perks just fine.

More crits is meh by the time you are at level 21. Slayer/sniper will mean critting most/all the time. Take bonus rate of fire or action boy/bonus move.

You can use all implants at the same time in F2.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
New Reno boxing fights are so broken. Won three of them using plated gloves. Now my damage treshold for normal, wearing Brotherhood Combat Armor, is 17. Fucking 17.

typical user

Arbiter
What about trip to Navarro? Unless you get power armor you are screwed as those guys have high sequence and end-game weapons.

New Reno boxing fights are so broken. Won three of them using plated gloves. Now my damage treshold for normal, wearing Brotherhood Combat Armor, is 17. Fucking 17.

I had no idea that Prizefighter even gave statistical bonuses, I thought it was recognized a bunch in dialogue.

I wonder what other hidden perk bonuses I've been unaware of all these years :|

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I had no idea that Prizefighter even gave statistical bonuses, I thought it was recognized a bunch in dialogue.

I wonder what other hidden perk bonuses I've been unaware of all these years :|
It's a bug. Apparently, bonus for resistances should be temporal (why plated gloves give better boni than ordinary gloves), but it's permanent and raises every fight.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So, after playing this game for the first time, until I got to Navarro base and giving the blueprints to the Brotherhood, I decided to start playing the first Fallout, and...

That game is fucking easy, I got Dogmeat without even trying (Dunno, he just started following me after I finished Junktown's mayor's quest, though wiki says I have to do some other quest involving the doctor or something) and I could get Ian with only a hundred caps. Compare it to Fallout 2, where the first possible companion requires 350 caps (Or doing that gecko quest), the second, 1000 caps, and the third is far away in the Vault City. (I think that is as far as Vault 13 -> Boneyard's distance in the first game)

The enemies are a lot easier too. Considering Fallout 2's difficult early game, I expected at least the random encounters will kill me with critical burst, but no, the only thing that could kill me so far is the Super Mutant at the Necropolis' water pump, and I could simply talk my way through him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom