Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2: This game has no forgiveness

valcik

Arcane
Fun fact: geckos are using unarmed attacks, so if you drop some power fist close to them, they tend to grab it up and beat the shit out of Chosen One with it! I don't know whether this has been fixed or not in some unofficial patches, so better watch out for mighty geckos brofisting anyway. ^^

Magnus' Weapons Redone mod mentioned by TBS comes with option to make any ammo stock decreased, which turns the wasteland into harsh place! It also changes original damage values of many weapons drastically - not good for purists and fainthearted folks. I had great fun with it anyway, light support weapon or bozar rocks really hard with it.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe you'd be better off using the build I'm using here:
619c0f12aa.jpg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
619c0f12aa.jpg

This is my favorite build. Fast Shot is fucking game-breakingly OP, and then you pair that with Bonus Rate of Fire, and you are firing the Gauss Pistol 5 times in a round, or the Gauss Rifle 3 times (and that's at a straight 10 APs, without Action Boy). Just ridiculous. Plus, by midgame you are swimming in ammunition since it practically grows on trees (one of the weaknesses of the game, imo). The inability to aim is meaningless when you can fire your .44 magnum 3 times and reload it with a speed loader at 10 APs, and you can have that shit by like level 2 or 3 if you go to the Den and get it from Flick (though you do have to wait before you can mod it to speed loader).

Small Guns is it.

619c0f12aa.jpg

You could dump ST to 4 and pump LK to 6. There's a veritable FUCKLOAD of ST boosts in this game - +3 from PA, +4 from APA, +1 from Memory Chip, +1 from Perk. The only problems will be carrying shit (solved easily once you get NPCs and the car), the to-hit penalties from being bellow the ST requirements (nothing that can't be fixed with more skill points) and a few things will check for ST, like unlocking the stuck doors in VC and joining Mordinos. ST is nearly useless, the melee damage boost only shows up after 6 anyway and I don't remember any big perk that checks for ST. If you really need it, just do drugs.

Also real men play without gifted.

619c0f12aa.jpg

This is my favorite build. Fast Shot is fucking game-breakingly OP, and then you pair that with Bonus Rate of Fire, and you are firing the Gauss Pistol 5 times in a round, or the Gauss Rifle 3 times (and that's at a straight 10 APs, without Action Boy). Just ridiculous. Plus, by midgame you are swimming in ammunition since it practically grows on trees (one of the weaknesses of the game, imo). The inability to aim is meaningless when you can fire your .44 magnum 3 times and reload it with a speed loader at 10 APs, and you can have that shit by like level 2 or 3 if you go to the Den and get it from Flick (though you do have to wait before you can mod it to speed loader).

Small Guns is it.

Yeah the Fast Shot Gunslinger is a great build. Magnum Revolver is fantastic, just alternate it with something with more range or punch, like a .223 Pistol. The only weakness it has is that you will suffer in the middle-game when you start fighting critters full of HP and armor - Super Mutants, Deathclaws, Wannamingos, Sentry Bots, Centaurs, etc - because you can't fight them with aimed shots from a sniper rifle or the like. Pancor Jackhammer helps, but Gauss Pistol solves that issue, but fighting remnants of the Master's Army with a revolver is pure suffering.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really just took 5 strength for the weapon str requirements. The sniper takes 5, so that was really the minimum for me. I don't want to wait until power armor to use it properly and I definitely won't waste a perk on a special stat.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Best way to make Fallout 1 & 2 easier is to "game them" to some degree, which is super easy to do now via googling shit. I honestly never found them overly difficult though, just focus on easy quests first until you build yourself up, like you do in every non-scaled RPG. If you head south and get slaughtered by mutants it's no different from going into the wrong cave in Gothic. Hell, even mainstream modern shit like Skyrim will kill you if you go into the mountains too quickly.

Chiyosuke

Barely Literate
I should jump back into Fallout 2 so while my 970 gets shipped.
Since I got my ass beat in it last time I tried.

Best (gun) build IMO:

5 ST/6 PER/6 EN/6 CH/8 IN/9 AG/7 LK

Finesse, Gifted

Fast shot sucks*. Aimed shots to the eyes gives +70% to your critical chance IIRC. 6 luck also means you can take better criticals. With better criticals every eye crit ignores armor and does at least 2x damage, with around 50% chance for 3x, 10% for 4x and 20% for instant-kill IIRC. I believe you can get a 100% crit rate by level 12 with this, taking finesse and more crits x2 with 10 luck (I'd probably not take the more crits in a real build though)

IIRC PER is functionally identical to +6% to your ranged weapon skill per point of PER. You can actually dump it pretty hard if you are willing to use drugs to qualify for perks (I'd bump int and luck 1 each), but that's not really needed.

EN 6 is for toughness. You can dump it to 4 EN if you don't care, but toughness stacks well with high level armor and all the other perks at level 3 are kind of shit.

Of course if you are a Real Man you go jinxed and abuse the tag bug to get 300% unarmed + HtH Evade, becoming completely unhittable and watching enemies literally kill themselves as they fail to hit you :lol:

* It's actually pretty awesome in Fallout 1 if you go melee, since it works on melee and with the other perk you can get your attacks down to requiring only 1 AP a piece.

Last edited:

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
It's been a while, since i played vanilla F2. Can anyone remind me, was it possible to not pick a perk at lvl 3 (just close the selection window), and then get to pick 2 perks at lvl 6, both of wich would be "lvl 6 perks"?

MrJohnson

Educated
vanilla fo2 for me basically was tripping over navarro by accident, finding APA -> beating 75% of NPCs to death with unarmed while i get hit for 0 damage.
Only enclave patrols, muties and their pets and well armed humans (NCR, Combat Armor Raiders/Khans with AP ammo etc) posed a threat.

It's been a while, since i played vanilla F2. Can anyone remind me, was it possible to not pick a perk at lvl 3 (just close the selection window), and then get to pick 2 perks at lvl 6, both of wich would be "lvl 6 perks"?

No, the second perk would just be lost. However you could utilize holding perks if you were skilled (perks at lvl 4/8/12/etc), mitigating most of the disadvantage by taking perks at 6/9/12/16/20. Still not a great reason to be skilled.

Snufkin

Augur
Early game - sharpened spear/10m pistol, then revolver (get it in Den) and do eye shots. Revolver is quick so you can shot two aimed shots with 10 agility. On level 9 unlock better criticals. With better criticals perk and revolver you can even clear mines if you you build your small guns high. The trick is to do those aimed shots for insta kills/cripples/knockouts. Also i find that having 4-6 charisma and using drugs to get extra npc's joining you is key to surive mid game.

eXalted

Arcane
And drugs, kids. Drugs are what the cool kids do.

I had a drug junkie who was a walking corpse but a couple of Jets (and Psycho if I have available) in combat and she was an unstoppable monster.

You+re+now+addicted+to+jet+psycho+medx+artwork+done+by_7ddc4f_4765447.png

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Early game - sharpened spear/10m pistol, then revolver (get it in Den) and do eye shots. Revolver is quick so you can shot two aimed shots with 10 agility. On level 9 unlock better criticals. With better criticals perk and revolver you can even clear mines if you you build your small guns high. The trick is to do those aimed shots for insta kills/cripples/knockouts. Also i find that having 4-6 charisma and using drugs to get extra npc's joining you is key to surive mid game.
No SMG? :?

Jet is silly OP for how cheap it is. Plus when you start fighting humans and picking up guns for loot you get to the point where merchants don't have enough cash to buy your guns, so you might as well load up on weightless drugs. Swap an SMG in the Den for like 30 pills of jet that will last for half the game. No reason to start 10 AGI when you can just get high when you need to. Then in the late game you have 16 AP and its ridiculous.

Kind of dangerous to get close enough to burst enemies. But it works against less than metal armor if you want to live on the edge. I give my SMG to Sulik.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom