Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2: This game has no forgiveness

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Kind of dangerous to get close enough to burst enemies. But it works against less than metal armor if you want to live on the edge. I give my SMG to Sulik.
I dunno, just gotta make good use of corners.

laclongquan

Arcane
I think no? one at 5 and one at six though, If I remember correctly~ Low level perk is the pit...

Awareness, Earlier Sequence, Quick Pockets, Toughness are all lvl 3 and are all dretty gud.
ES is just shit~ You want to go first, you initiating the battle yourself. Quick Pocket is what ADHD kid do when dont plan out your action carefully in advance. Toughness is probabbly fine, but I dont choose it at low level. Awareness has good tactical use, and overall is the best of a bad lot~

HotSnack

Cipher
I agree that awareness is the best first pick. But quick pocket is incredible (if not expoitive) in FO2. Reload both weapons, take as many stimpacks and drugs as you want for the cost of 2AP?

typical user

Arbiter
What's so special about awerness? You can estimate how many hps enemy has left. If you have completed game at least once then you don't need it. If someone is doing 1st playthrough then it isn't great either if he is cautious and completes easier quests before thougher. Maybe in random encounters but in the beginning you will be running away from stray dogs unless you have decent combat skills and Sulik around to help you.

And why is Quick Pockets bad? No one says Gifted is bad but cheesy. I always take it as my first perk because it is useful and becomes even more helpful later in the game when you can get critically hit for 95% of your max hp.

What's so special about awerness? You can estimate how many hps enemy has left. If you have completed game at least once then you don't need it. If someone is doing 1st playthrough then it isn't great either if he is cautious and completes easier quests before thougher. Maybe in random encounters but in the beginning you will be running away from stray dogs unless you have decent combat skills and Sulik around to help you.

I agree. The main usage IMO is to see what gun the enemy has so you know who to target first (when lots of guns look the same), but even then its not a huge deal

And why is Quick Pockets bad? No one says Gifted is bad but cheesy. I always take it as my first perk because it is useful and becomes even more helpful later in the game when you can get critically hit for 95% of your max hp.

Those instances are pretty rare and its not like spending slightly more AP is a huge pain. If I was making a melee build I'd take it (you're going to take lots of damage), but if you are shooting from a decent range then virtually no enemies other than Horrigan have enough skill let them hit aimed shots reliably.

I think no? one at 5 and one at six though, If I remember correctly~ Low level perk is the pit...

Awareness, Earlier Sequence, Quick Pockets, Toughness are all lvl 3 and are all dretty gud.
ES is just shit~ You want to go first, you initiating the battle yourself. Quick Pocket is what ADHD kid do when dont plan out your action carefully in advance. Toughness is probabbly fine, but I dont choose it at low level. Awareness has good tactical use, and overall is the best of a bad lot~

Sequence lets you get a double round in if you start the battle yourself and beat the enemy. Still kind of bad though, most non-named enemies don't have great sequence to begin with.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Early game - sharpened spear/10m pistol, then revolver (get it in Den) and do eye shots. Revolver is quick so you can shot two aimed shots with 10 agility. On level 9 unlock better criticals. With better criticals perk and revolver you can even clear mines if you you build your small guns high. The trick is to do those aimed shots for insta kills/cripples/knockouts. Also i find that having 4-6 charisma and using drugs to get extra npc's joining you is key to surive mid game.

Eye shots is the way to go, especially with better criticals. With a 223 or the combat shotgun and with a good score in "small guns", action boy (or bonus rate if fire later) and finesse I don't think you need any big guns or energy weapons. Just a few grenades to deplete the first ennemy wave.

And drugs, kids. Drugs are what the cool kids do.

I had a drug junkie who was a walking corpse but a couple of Jets (and Psycho if I have available) in combat and she was an unstoppable monster.]

The more I play Fallout the more I dodrugs (in game). You're addicted so what ? The wasteland are are full of it andshopping drugs is always a good way to meet interesting characters.

eXalted

Arcane
I never take Awareness. There is a desciption on hover how wounded are the enemies and I think it's enough.

The Big weapons are no big deal too (ehehhe... ohohoho). I even didn't use that overpowered End Game Plasma Rifle. A Gauss Rifle for me please.

bloodlover

Arcane
Are magazines rare in this game? I am only at the start and picked up Vic but I already have four of them and they sell for good cash.

Snufkin

Augur
I always give SMG to Sulik. He knows how to use it, he always does in-your-face burst with it. Revolver thing is that its two shots, so big chance for two kills in round is huge early game. Also awarness in my opinion is not so good. There must be better 3 lvl perk hmm.. here and now means you reach level 9 faster, after that you are unstoppable.

eXalted

Arcane
Are magazines rare in this game? I am only at the start and picked up Vic but I already have four of them and they sell for good cash.
I think there was a quest to find 10 of them (I'm talking about "Cat's Paw").

I just sell them.
:keepmymoney:

HotSnack

Cipher
The quest to collect 10 catspaws magazine will take you all the way to the endgame, and you'll only be able to cash it in after beating the game iirc. But it's one of the neat post-game activites you can do. Unless you are talking about skillbooks. You will find a vendor down the line that spawns them.

eXalted

Arcane
The quest to collect 10 catspaws magazine will take you all the way to the endgame, and you'll only be able to cash it in after beating the game iirc. But it's one of the neat post-game activites you can do. Unless you are talking about skillbooks. You will find a vendor down the line that spawns them.
I'm not saying that there is a also book that ups yours skills to the eleven.... but there is a book that maxes your skills up to the eleven.

Oh, and did I say that it's only available after beating the game... hai ho!

Lhynn

Arcane
Awareness is p. amazing. you know exactly what you are facing at all times, so there are no surprises. Extremely effective for picking priority targets, or swiching to a weapon or a fire mode that can finish them off without overkilling them, it usually saves AP, expensive ammo and it makes me feel a lot more in control of the battlefield. Plus all the others options are kind of shit.

bloodlover

Arcane
I did not sell the cat magazines. I noticed you could get them just by looking around or at vendors, I think I have 4 or 5 now so I assumed they are useful at something. I was talking about some small guns magazines that I found and probably could have spared me a few points since they were useless when I tried to use them at 120. I might take small guns to 150 since I had some random lol encounters while going to Vault City and got stuffed with SMGs and pistols. Hell, I even got a combat shotgun and an assault rifle. Got Speech to 100 and will probably do pick locks to 100 too (it's at 80 or smth atm). Based on me previous Fallout experience (F3 and NV), I assume energy weapons come late into the game but I might start thinkin about them by now, at level 7. I have no idea what is/if there is a cap limit in this game.

I got some lol perks so far and I think I should have done a little research when I made my character. Hope it gets better later though so far the one I got at level 6 proved useful (I got bonus moved and it allows me to position a bit during battle so I don't murder Sulik).

Good thing I read this topic from time to time. I will try and give Sulik one of those SMGs.

HotSnack

Cipher
3 levels of Toughness are nice if you plan on going low CH and getting the implants, I think I you can get so much Normal resist with all the DR/DT boosts that might want to use Tesla Armor instead to laugh at all the plasma they shoot at you in Navarro and Oil Rig. Just mind the gauss and Vindicators in Oil Rig, use Psycho but be aware some of your DT won't be as high as someone's in APA.

Its easy to get 10 of those by the time you hit New Reno, Miss Kitty gives you a special issue that gives a bonus to Energy Weapons when read - 5% or 10%, don' remember right. You can have Manson teach you how to a laser pistol too (I think he has to like you), which is another boost to your EW skill.
Strange. I thought there are only 10 catspaws in the game, and one is found:
on the oil rig.

Theldaran

Liturgist
It's like Baldur's Gate I, where your Level 2 party would get surrounded by wyverns or skeleton archers, and it was pretty much game over.

Yeah, right.

If you really like the game -in 1999 I didn't have anything better to do, plus I was horribly hooked on D&D-, or are bent on beating it, you could use some loads.

Original BG1 wasn't a difficult game to cheat with some imagination. I usually averted random encounters between areas literally by walking out of the screen (but if there are archers, ouch). Also there was an xp-dispensing area for leveling quicker, just go explore a little.

I got some lol perks so far and I think I should have done a little research when I made my character. Hope it gets better later though so far the one I got at level 6 proved useful (I got bonus moved and it allows me to position a bit during battle so I don't murder Sulik).

Bonus Move is a really good perk. You'll constantly find a way to spend a few "free" movement points once you get a party of guys with guns, in order to get a clear shot or to get out of the line of fire of someone else.

Other than Luck you can boost stats with drugs in order to qualify for perks. If you can reach 6 luck/6 perception then make sure you get Better Crits at level 9. Arguably the best perk in the game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Also, tip on fighting Geckos and possibly some other animals, don't remember:
Buy lots of Meat Jerky (Dunton Brothers are best for this), and during combat use the backpack icon to dump the Jerky on the ground. The Gecko will go for the jerky and eat it before attacking you, losing AP. This means less attacks coming your way at the cost of some money. Its a quick and easy way to nerf them. The game itself gives you the hint from the Dunton Brothers.
How I replayed the game three times and never learned this on 12 years? Massive critical perception fail for me.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's a bit counterinituitive to us too, though it's a nice way to dispose of those jerkies we got from Bentons and later on Bess Butchery. Mostly because Geckos are out of our interest after Den and Modoc.

Now, if we have to deal with Fire Geckos earlier, we might feel interested enough to try those tactics. Fire Geckos are something of a bit too off-the-track lategame enemies.

Just think, a pack of Fire Geckos right outside of Modoc or Ghost Farm.

baturinsky

Arcane
With high initiative if you initiate the combat you can get two first turns in a row. Combine that with high agility and/or bonus move, and you can use it to sneak past enemies to lot of places you were supposed to fight into. That's how I did quests in Gecko-infested areas.

bloodlover

Arcane
Thx for the tips. I am almost level 9 and still questing in Vault City. I am looking for pliers go give to Vic's daughter. Their dialogue was hilarious.

Also, is money worthless in the world of Fallout? All of the ammo that I got as well as the metal armor were just traded for stuff I did not need like geko pelts and other guns, I never used money to buy anything. I would trade all of my stuff for money if I could, since it weights nothing thus making it easier to carry around but it seems merchants never quite have enough cash in their inventory. Or maybe I just need to get to different areas. I'll see.

Oh and I am sleeping with dudes left and right, one of them in the Den even payed. Hope I don't get gonorrhea.

Saduj

Arcane
If you can't find merchants with enough money, trade junk for money + drugs. You'll eventually find stuff to spend money on, especially in San Fran.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I loved that Jackhammer in F2, it is first time I seen a weapon like that. You can get a similar weapon in Max Payne (not sure if in 1 or 2), I used it a lot in that game because of F2 :D :D

Unwanted

†††

Patron
N8rjPbj.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom