Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 vs Fallout 4

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Is fallout 4 far harbor the best dlc in the fallout universe?

Old World Blues is good but it feels so odd in the context of New Vegas, even though it has important plot details leading to Lonesome Road. Still, it could've been a separate game. It's like 25 hours long on its own, probably the longest DLC for New Vegas.

9ted6

Educated
Old World Blues is good but it feels so odd in the context of New Vegas, even though it has important plot details leading to Lonesome Road. Still, it could've been a separate game. It's like 25 hours long on its own, probably the longest DLC for New Vegas.
Disagree there, I don't even like New Vegas but OWB feels insulting. It's just nonstop jokes that aren't funny the first time and definitely not funny the 100th time you hear them set to a backdrop of bullet sponge enemies. It also makes no sense that this hyperadvanced basket of tech has sat untouched and unnoticed by the Enclave, the Brotherhood, and House for centuries. Of all the DLCs it's the one where Obsidian didn't give a single fuck and just phoned it all in.

Lemming42

Arcane
The argument with your own brain is the only good part in OWB. The jokes throughout are absolutely abysmal though, completely laugh-free. Big MT is such a boring-ass place to explore too.

Of the other Fo3/NV DLCs:

Boring Steel - awful, a DLC so bad it retroactively ruins the base game by messing with enemy spawn lists. Only worthwhile thing it does is add some post-game C&C that nobody cares about
The Shitt - good idea, boring to play
Mothership Gayta - terrible. I don't even mind the aliens, it's just boring as fuck
Operation Wankerage - zzZzzZZzz
Point Fuckout - I like this one quite a bit, the shootout in the mansion with the crazy bastards breaking in is genuinely one of the cooler things on the Gamebryo engine, and the part where you get a lobotomy is amusing

Dead(bored of playing Dead)Money - good but the writing gets pretty tedious and pompous toward the end, and the fun pretty much stops gameplay-wise as soon as you get inside the Sierra Madre
Honest Sharts - some interesting story and a few good characters, Graham obviously and I like Waking Cloud, but fucking hell it starts to drag, I couldn't get out of that canyon quick enough
(Should have)Loaned Some(better writers for this DLC) Road - zZZzz, boring combat and listening to Ulysses voice Chris' meta-complaints about the Fallout franchise is unbearable

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Boring Steel - awful, a DLC so bad it retroactively ruins the base game by messing with enemy spawn lists. Only worthwhile thing it does is add some post-game C&C that nobody cares about
Amusingly, Broken Steel is one of the "good DLCs" of Fallout 3 that I see people mention, and the only reason that is ever cited for this is that it "fixes" the game ending at the end and not having a post-game to finish quests in and raises the level cap. In reality it is a fucking awful and retarded blockbuster sci-fi action movie conclusion to an already awful and retarded story. What's more is that the way it handles continuing on from the end of the final quest in the vanilla game is absolutely nonsensical. If you don't heroically sacrifice yourself then you get berated for having someone else do it even after spending the entire game doing the heavy lifting every step of the way, if you do heroically sacrifice yourself then you inexplicably live perfectly fine despite massive radiation poisoning that would probably make your skin start to slough off. It's common among the ever-shrinking fanbase of Fallout 3 to point at Mothershit Zeta and Operation Anchorage as the "bad ones" and Broken Steel and Point Lookout as the "good ones", with The Pitt somewhere in-between. Broken Steel really has more in common with Operation Anchorage than it does with the vanilla game, and I think everyone agreed even back then that Operation Anchorage was trying too hard to be a linear military first-person shooter campaign in the most dogshit engine imaginable for one.

Ryzer

Arcane
Old world blues is a terrible DLC, filled with cringe reddit tier writing, among a stupid plot, main quest, and horrible re-skinned enemies. The only joy coming out of this is having content to do other than wandering in the boring empty dried-out open-world in new Vegas.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
They’re both shit for the same, but also sime different reasons.

Shit is shit, no matter how you explain it.

Last edited:

Just Locus

Educated
IMG_20231123_161525.jpg

Gahbreeil

Learned
If Fallout: New Vegas was actually done after Fallout 4, it would be a perfect game. I mean it. Some of the innovations in Fallout 4, and I don't mean the settlement building, you cannot do without after playing it.

So, play New Vegas first, Fallout 4 afterwards. The story and the dialogues of 4 are not too thrilling but it is an improved New Vegas in terms of gameplay.

Doctor Gong

Literate
The only good part of Fallout 3 is Point Lookout.

Fallout 4 does a great sin by locking the player into playing a specific person, and outside of the occasional fun mission I rather explore, do settlement building, and just poke around.

Fallout New Vegas is its own beast which I really enjoy.

quaesta

Educated
New Vegas is better because I can shoot everyone and I get bunch of guns. I just play that game like shitty Postal 2 and have a good time in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom