Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

his Fallout: NV review
PNLaTIe.jpg

So metal.

Edgy homofaguals gonna homofaguals. His level of autism (and turbodweeb skinnyness) is just right to be a member of the Codex though so perhaps he's one o' dem self-hatin' Codexers? Only DU knows and he's not telling.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, they actually did reference it in an FO3 DLC. Oh, Bethesda. Still, it's such a minor thing.

pippin

I think Bethesda declared the Bible to be non-canon. It wasn't meant to be a "canon" source to begin with, just backup documents for pnp sessions.

typical user

Arbiter
(reply to typical user)

1. Could be a retcon for the sake of design, and to be honest, it's not that big of a retcon. Does it really make a difference in the fallout universe if Power Armour had batteries that was supposed to last 200 years?

2. Actually, in Fallout 2 the town of Gecko had an NPC who was kicked out of Vault city due to his immunity to radiation. He looked totally human, Virgil's terminal also states they're immune as well. So, while it's not a proper explanation it does still adhere to the rules of the Fallout universe.

3. Alright, I half-agree with you, they either need to set the games earlier or strive to build a more "realistic" world. Now, time for a rant: Look, I'm biased, I know some people at BGS, and believe me, this game was not just shat out in 10 months. They are passionate and love their games, they also understand that no one here will ever like their games and don't try to compete with the games this audience loves.

4. What do you mean robots don't have AI? Please clarify your definition of AI.

5. In case you can't tell, that's quite a theme through every fallout game. HUMANITY IS DUMB. WAR NEVER CHANGES. You may dislike Beth's way of handling it, but at least admit that mankind in fallout 1-4 is really retarded - much like in real life.

1. But it is a FACT. You have armors that don't require any batteries but Bethesda is like "nope, they require now because yes". I don't have anything against this mechanic but it's lore-breaking,

2. It's a poor excuse. Why they didn't make cult of ghouls? WHY?

3. They love their games so they hire moron to ruin itheir stories and strip of almost all RPG elements? BTW, I don't believe Fallout 4 was made in 7 years. It looks like they worked on it for 2 years max and made poor job.

4. Artificial Intelligence is when machine has free will and is aware of it's surroundings. It's a state where they think like humans. Mr. Handies, didn't have AI, they were just dumb machines programmed to be housewives.

5. Again poor excuse. Yes I agree that humanity is dumb because they created FEV, launched nukes everywhere etc. But it's dumb and Bethesda level of dumb. You can't say that Enclave or Unity were retards, you just can't. But Institue has no plans for the future and is "lolwhut" much like almost every NPC in this game.

pippin

The design documents were leaked exactly 2 years ago, in December 2013. I tend to believe the game had been in development since mid 2013.
Also, what kind of reasoning is this "hey, they do care about their games" bullshit? Shovelware makers also care about their crap. Have you seen the SCL thread and forums? The devs really thought they were making the second coming of dnd rpgs with that shit.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
(reply to typical user)

1. Could be a retcon for the sake of design, and to be honest, it's not that big of a retcon. Does it really make a difference in the fallout universe if Power Armour had batteries that was supposed to last 200 years?

2. Actually, in Fallout 2 the town of Gecko had an NPC who was kicked out of Vault city due to his immunity to radiation. He looked totally human, Virgil's terminal also states they're immune as well. So, while it's not a proper explanation it does still adhere to the rules of the Fallout universe.

3. Alright, I half-agree with you, they either need to set the games earlier or strive to build a more "realistic" world. Now, time for a rant: Look, I'm biased, I know some people at BGS, and believe me, this game was not just shat out in 10 months. They are passionate and love their games, they also understand that no one here will ever like their games and don't try to compete with the games this audience loves.

4. What do you mean robots don't have AI? Please clarify your definition of AI.

5. In case you can't tell, that's quite a theme through every fallout game. HUMANITY IS DUMB. WAR NEVER CHANGES. You may dislike Beth's way of handling it, but at least admit that mankind in fallout 1-4 is really retarded - much like in real life.

Give this guy a bethestard tag. Also, ignored

Luzur

Good Sir
"Um, you actually don't have to think or read anything in Morrowind. You can just hack and slash your way through the entire game if you want to. Nice try though. Morrowind is no Fallout 4 bud."

LOL

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Game was in pre-production since '09, which means art and design goes on in the background. It's why each game has separate leads for art and design. After skyrim they move programmers onto the project and a few other artists to start building out the world so that when the team came on in April 2013 they could just focus on content creation.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
"Um, you actually don't have to think or read anything in Morrowind. You can just hack and slash your way through the entire game if you want to. Nice try though. Morrowind is no Fallout 4 bud."

LOL
They are passionate and love their games, so it's okay.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Meh, FO4's quest design make me hold FO3 in higher regard, and I can't believe I am even saying that.

I was doing Covenant the other day, since people where crying "waah, it's the Tenpenny Tower quest of FO4, waaaaah", but this turd actually makes TT shine like a beacon of C&C. Heh, no, not really.
FO3's TT had several different possible outcomes, with the "good" way turning out to be "good intentions with disasterous consquences", similar how Black Isle wanted to make siding with Killwater resulting in a bad ending for Junktown, but they decided players weren't ready for such a twist. Bethesda went there, you have to give them small kudos for that.

But Covenant? What a cheap railroad to created drama. Only two buttons options to choose from if you want to assimilate it into your Prosperland Empire:
a) kill the good guy and have them continue robbing caravans, killing and torturing innocents, worse than a gang of raiders
b) kill the mad scientists and be forced to kill every living being in Covenant, feeling like a raider yourself

Can you talk to the traumatized bystanders in Covenant, call them out on their actions? Nope. The player can convince a random encounter synth to confess to him without ever hearing of the institute, but cannot talk sense into a few frightened settlers.
No sneak kills either, everyone is a psychic.
Where TT was at least a case of "fooled you, deal with it!", Covenant is just an example of bad design and a good background idea wasted. TT made you feel a little sorry for Dashwood, but here I only regret not buying the shotgun before killing the vendor. Very immersive...

TLDR: FO4 quests make FO3 look better now.

5. Again poor excuse. Yes I agree that humanity is dumb because they created FEV, launched nukes everywhere etc. But it's dumb and Bethesda level of dumb. You can't say that Enclave or Unity were retards, you just can't. But Institue has no plans for the future and is "lolwhut" much like almost every NPC in this game.

Advanced tech and military strength aside, they were. Enclave wanted to wipe out the population of its own country (great idea when you want to restore it to its former glory) and the Master forgot to ensure his irradiated abominations could have healthy kids (because that's not the most well known effect of radiation or anything). Plans based on "muh purity" tend to be retarded, which is why we need the heroes to stop them.

typical user

Arbiter
Advanced tech and military strength aside, they were. Enclave wanted to wipe out the population of its own country (great idea when you want to restore it to its former glory)

They want to repopulate with their own pure people viewing anyone on mainland as subhumans. On the other hand releasing bio-virus that will linger for who knows how long and if it will mutate like it did after being released by nuclear explosion in The Glow may be dumb.

As for Master, well, can't argue with that. Maybe he did know it but realised his creations aren't perfect but they could put humans in cages like cattle and use as infinite resource to spawn mutants while working on permament solution. Still Unity isn't retarded in my opinion. They aren't perfect but they are not completely stupid.

Black

Arcane
And gave them bethesda merchandise to look professional and totally not sell-outs.

Jozoz

Prophet
They literally sit together and jerk each other off about how right they are lmao

"YES" "YES EXACTLY"

pippin

Sooooo... is this game forgotten already or something? Very few people (outside the usual plants) talk about this even on normie sites.

Not a lot of standout quests ("go here, kill this/retrieve that"), there aren't many towns, the ones that exist have almost no depth aside from Diamond City and there aren't even memorable theme park locations ala FO3. So the only thing left to keep it in the news would be mods. And while we have seen a truly impressive amount of them considering the official tools haven't been released yet, it's not enough.

edit: And what do you know, an article on Kotaku about...a mod. The Extreme Weather mod to be exact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom