Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: New Vegas 10 Year Anniversary

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
hidden.jpg

So I finally finished the game for the first time, for Mr House, 69 hours.
I think I opened about 20% of content total (so many quests and people in the wiki I have no idea about) and probably will replay it in the future (for Legion? is it worth it to be evil here?).

This game is so huge, unbelievable. 18 months in production, remind you.

The writing is obviously the UP here, superb, though uneven. Main quest is the most boring, but a dozen of vaults and local stories are masterpieces. Interwoven stories, multiple branches...

Downside is obvious: Graphics and interior design are horrible even for 2010 (I would say even for 2007 when Fallout 3 came out), also the decision to put a yellow tint on everything was a huge mistake (I twice stopped playing this game in the past because of the physical wish to vomit and only with graphic fix I made it into the end).

First 3 DLCs are amazing, Lonesome Road was a downer. Best piece of writing/design for me was Honest Hearts and its journal.

This game is outstanding.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
First 3 DLCs are amazing, Lonesome Road was a downer. Best piece of writing/design for me was Honest Hearts and its journal.

I love the atmosphere and some of the themes of Lonesome Road.
I really wish for example that it would have added new endings to the main game campaign, one in which you can decide to nuke the NCR, the Legion, the Mojave, or all three and reset the world once more.

It is the writing of Ulysses that is at fault.
I find it such a damn shame because I remember ten years ago looking so forwards to this DLC.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Was he written by Avellone? What the hell happened? "When the words are MORE THAN ENOUGH SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY"

Yes, I think Avellone wrote Ulysses. And I have absolutely no idea what went wrong.

IIRC, He even bragged about Ulysses as of one of his best creations (along with Kreia from another game I yet to play).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Was he written by Avellone? What the hell happened? "When the words are MORE THAN ENOUGH SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY"

Yes, I think Avellone wrote Ulysses. And I have absolutely no idea what went wrong.

IIRC, He even bragged about Ulysses as of one of his best creations (along with Kreia from another game I yet to play).
I would not brag about Kreia were I MCA. That character can best be summarized as "Actually helping people is bad because the person you help might turn out to be bad!"

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

I would not brag about Kreia were I MCA. That character can best be summarized as "Actually helping people is bad because the person you help might turn out to be bad!"
ah, then you have learned nothing

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

Kreia being a crazy bitch was intended. She's literally the villain of the game, don't take her teachings to heart.

The Jester

Cipher
Am I the only one who likes Ulysses?

explain yourself, young man
"The new voice did not think of the Courier again until the battle at the Divide reached his ears.
The battle between the two couriers, beneath the torn skies and the Old World flag... each bearing a message for the other."

Courier and Ulysses are two sides of the same coin
They are both "Couriers"
The Courier walked the west and has done jobs for the NCR.
Ulysses walked the east and has done jobs for the Legion.
The Courier stays to watch over the Big Empty a alive and goofy place with techs that are still developing after the great war.
Ulysses stays to watch over the Divide a destroyed and dead ruin with valuable techs from the old world.
They are both a single individual with power to make great changes just by themselves, like some kind of the opposite forces of nature.
You can read from his dialougs the Ulysses hade great respect for Courier until he unintentionally blow his home up.
He fallowed the Courier and saw that his marks of changes always are in the west so he thought the west is your home and because of it he wants to blow it up to make you feel the same way he did.
He is a badass with cool mask and voice who you can feel his presence throughout all of the prior DLCs.
The Archenemy of Courier who settle down his matters once and for all in the end of his world.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

"The new voice did not think of the Courier again until the battle at the Divide reached his ears.
The battle between the two couriers, beneath the torn skies and the Old World flag... each bearing a message for the other."

They are both "Couriers"
The Courier stays to watch over the Big Empty a alive and goofy place with techs that are still developing after the great war.
Ulysses stays to watch over the Divide a destroyed and dead ruin with valuable techs from the old world.
They are both a single individual with power to make great changes just by themselves, like some kind of the opposite forces of nature.
You can read from his dialougs the Ulysses hade great respect for Courier until he unintentionally blow his home up.
He fallowed the Courier and saw that his marks of changes always are in the west so he thought the west is your home and because of it he wants to blow it up to make you feel the same way he did.
He is a badass with cool mask and voice who you can feel his presence throughout all of the prior DLCs.
The Archenemy of Courier who settle down his matters once and for all in the end of his world.

Thank you for retelling me all these things I've already read in-game
but
you know
I don't think this is good writing (
I get it, it was supposed to be the CLIMAX OF CLIMAXES
oh how fucking epic even the set looks!

maxresdefault.jpg

but it just didn't work out
for me at least.

The Jester

Cipher

They are both "Couriers"

Thank you for retelling me all these things I've already read in-game
but
you know
I don't think this is good writing (
I get it, it was supposed to be the CLIMAX OF CLIMAXES
oh how fucking epic even the set looks!

maxresdefault.jpg

but it just didn't work out
for me at least.
That's okay man, you do you
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I love the atmosphere and some of the themes of Lonesome Road.
I liked the atmosphere as well. Proper post-apo, fresh from the bombing, no NPCs, no animals, no settlements, just war and ruins. Although with the New Vegas combat it gets rather stale - Shittesda abortion of the engine has real shitty gunplay. Make it isometric and turn-based and this would be one of my favorite locations ever, tops.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I forgot where we hear about the two Couriers fighting. Was that in the Dead Money DLC? Anyways, I was ridiculously hyped for Lonesome Road, but damn, it wasn't as good as the rest of the DLCs. Again, Dead Money was ridiculously great. Writing, gameplay, storytelling, characters, all of that shit was fucking spot-on. I think Honest Hearts was better than Oldworld Blues, though. Oldworld Blues was just too goofy for my taste. It felt too over-the-top.

This was my favorite of the trailers. FML, I was hyped as fuck, but again, underwhelming. Weirdly enough, I wasn't even hyped for Dead Money, but it was easily the best of the DLC. That part where you can fight that mute chick, that shit was legit badass. Did anyone get surprised by that fight?

Oh yeah, and fuck off with that banal-shit boring turnbased. RtwP or just keep it as an FPS shooter.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They are both "Couriers"

The more empty a vessel "the courier" is when you start the game, the better. Allows you to create their history and personality yourself.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Good analysis:

I had no idea that there was no essential NPC's in the game, and that you can pretty much skip entire quests because of it...

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Did he mention Chris Avellone even once? I skimmed through parts of it but he seemed to avoid crediting Avellone with anything.

Convicted sex offenders don't deserve to have their work praised, don'tcha know?

It's now taboo to utter the name of one of the industry's best and most prolific writers, all because of one attention whoring cunt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom