Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: New Vegas 10 Year Anniversary

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
FOT just barely gets any love.
And it's sad, too. Fallout: Tactics may be lackluster in terms of storyline and storytelling, and may arguably contain some silly parts (entire tribe of talking deathclaws, anyone?), but it's a genuinely solid game, and even today is still more playable than FO1/2 in the technical sense, and has held up a lot better in some ways. To this day, I maintain that FOT would have made an excellent base for the continuation of the series, and I still wish that FO1/2 would be fully recreated using FOT - which is unfortunately not technically possible, but I can dream.

They should've just used FOT instead of trying to re-invent the wheel with Van Buren. It would've saved time, effort, money, and had a higher degree of fidelity to the series. I am sure that Van Buren would've been a great game either way, but it would likely have looked and felt like a proto-Wasteland 2, and aged even worse.

Ocelot

Learned
Ocelot , Deadass and Zyondyne picture shows clearly and is taken from the damn Fallout wiki. If you cannot see it then it is your shitty browser causing a problem.

What browser do you use? Pale Moon? If you don't know how to fix the image, just say so.

Here is the image you are trying to post. You are welcome.

Death.jpg

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Ocelot , Deadass and Zyondyne picture shows clearly and is taken from the damn Fallout wiki. If you cannot see it then it is your shitty browser causing a problem.

What browser do you use? Pale Moon? If you don't know how to fix the image, just say so.

Here is the image you are trying to post. You are welcome.

Death.jpg
It displays correctly for me in Firefox, but what idiot doesn't link the actual image instead of the shitty pseudo-URL with scaling and shit?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Wikia has just been terrible for images in general since they switched to WebP.

Ocelot

Learned
Wikia has just been terrible for images in general since they switched to WebP.

Is there anything Wikia isn't terrible at these days? Fandom today is like the old wikia, except the wikis are buried beneath a lake of shit. And you have to dive in the lake and reach the bottom to get the information you want.

FOT just barely gets any love.
And it's sad, too. Fallout: Tactics may be lackluster in terms of storyline and storytelling, and may arguably contain some silly parts (entire tribe of talking deathclaws, anyone?), but it's a genuinely solid game, and even today is still more playable than FO1/2 in the technical sense, and has held up a lot better in some ways. To this day, I maintain that FOT would have made an excellent base for the continuation of the series, and I still wish that FO1/2 would be fully recreated using FOT - which is unfortunately not technically possible, but I can dream.

They should've just used FOT instead of trying to re-invent the wheel with Van Buren. It would've saved time, effort, money, and had a higher degree of fidelity to the series. I am sure that Van Buren would've been a great game either way, but it would likely have looked and felt like a proto-Wasteland 2, and aged even worse.

Tactics also did a lot less derivative world building, which is an huge problem of the Bethesda games. Bethesda can't invent new elements easily, althrough F76 seems better in that regard. Even the "old elements" of FOT had their own twists, like Gammorin's Army, the Brotherhood being radically different from the classic Brotherhood, etc.

I agree that they should have used FOT's engine, the Phoenix Engine, for Van Buren. Tactics looks good even today.

That said, I suspect that Van Buren, much like FOT, is a product of its time. Remember how from the early 2000s to the release of nuXCOM, 2D turn-based games pretty much became haram? It was all about 3D and real-time or RTwP. Hell, Van Buren was going to feature TB/RT.

Furthermore, Interplay/BIS really wanted to go away from 2D engines to 3D ones.

I feel like there's a connection between all those late 90s-2000s RPGs and tactical games of the "Transition Era" that seemed to try and make both greeks and trojans happy, and ended up doing neither. X-COM Apocalypse, Arcanum, Fallout Tactics, etc.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Tactics is worse than both vanilla Fallout and Jagged Alliance 2, so it can be seen as a misshaped entity in Fallout series and TRPGs both. The changes to gameplay included full party control, stances, TB/RT modes, interruption mechanics, but the core SPECIAL system was left untouched and its implementation was lackluster at best. It's a weird mix of one character RPG and squad-based TRPG which fails at being either.

Tactics is worse than both vanilla Fallout and Jagged Alliance 2, so it can be seen as a misshaped entity in Fallout series and TRPGs both. The changes to gameplay included full party control, stances, TB/RT modes, interruption mechanics, but the core SPECIAL system was left untouched and its implementation was lackluster at best. It's a weird mix of one character RPG and squad-based TRPG which fails at being either.

FOT did many things better than vanilla Fallout. I would't say SPECIAL was untouched, but it could have used some more changes. One cool thing is that FOT is the first and pretty much only Fallout title where you can go beyond 10 in any SPECIAL, with the right race. I think that's the way to go, because the SPECIAL system of the classic games only works for humans, it doesn't work for creatures with super-human abilities - Ghouls, Super Mutants, Dogs, Deathclaws, some Robots and Cyborgs.

I agree the mix between one character RPG and squad-based TRPG is a bit weird.

I think the big fail is the lack of destructible terrain. And honestly, the play being built around a series of linear missions, of which there was too much run and gun.

If you told me to do a FOT2, I would have gone with a more X-COM design, where there's a mix of linear missions and randomly generated missions on randomly-generated maps.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Other than saying that I agree with BR Slaughter, I want to say that comparing it to Jagged Alliance 2 is a bit unfair. Most tactical games of this type compare poorly to JA2. Further, FOT never pretends to be a solid RPG, but due to the nature of the system, it absolutely could have been one, whereas JA2 never pretended to be one nor could have been one. We are all fully aware that FOT is not perfect, but FOT had (and imo still have, would it or its source be re-released today; it holds up surprisingly well in most regards as opposed to most other games of its era) a potential beyond that of either FO1/2 or JA2.

Also, CTB without any kind of pause was a mistake, and the game was clearly unfinished upon release.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is JA 2 trying to do the same thing as FOT? They seem very different games with different design goals for me. Played both and the experience I had with both was alot different from each other. JA 2 is alot more sandboxy and with simulational ambitions, FOT seems alot more planned with pre made tactical challenges, both designs have their virtues. Some of those Fallout Tactics encounters with the solid RPG base of Fallout 1 and 2 would make a Fallout 3, a massive incline game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
After doing 4 full vanilla runs to get all Steam achievements, play as different personalities, side with all factions, do all DLCs and complete almost all quests and challenges, I think I'm done with this game. Maybe it's time to give FO4 a try and experience a more recent iteration of Fallout's world.

Who am I kidding, I'm probably going to play it with mods next. FO4 can wait.
Wait for the Frontier total conversion to come out, it will come out in a week, maybe it isnt complete garbage.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mmm decided to check out that “hidden” Deathclaw cave and holy shit that was probably the most epic combat I have ever had in NV; energy weapons (with maxed ammo) and barely made it alive. Didn’t know about the legendary Deathclaw and by the time I reached it I was running out of chems and ammo... if it wasn’t for the Gauss rifle I don’t think my char and Veronica would have made it and even with her we got killed like a dozen times until I went all out with mines, stealthboy and a boatload of chems
Besides the super fun fight a power armor for Veronica was icing on the cake

ThePaleBear

Literate
4. Forced replay value. The game depends heavily on factions. Whether you’re working with the New California Republic, Caesar’s Legion, Mr. House, or just working for an independent New Vegas, you’re working for somebody. But what this means is that you can’t see everything your first trip through. Because once you get sufficiently deep in with some faction, you’ll be shunned by the other factions. My first playthrough found me committed to an independent New Vegas, and after starting to work with Mr. House, I was told that the NCR and Caesar’s Legion weren’t interested in working with me. That means, unlike the original, you can’t do everything in one go. You essentially have to restart (or go back to saves before you find yourself committed to one faction or another) in order to see how everything comes out.

So wtf is a non forced replay value, doing the same shit over and over again?

Codex Year of the Donut
6. Too many continuity issues. I understand that Fallout 3 isn’t related to Fallout New Vegas, but we ARE in the same universe here. And as such, there were plenty of strange details no one seems to be willing to account for. For instance, while it was good to see the Brotherhood of Steel still up and running, I expected their presence to be a lot bigger given how near to their home ground they were. And where was the Enclave? For crying out loud, the Enclave is one state away! How is it NOT interfering? Surely the Enclave didn’t lose sufficient forces in the oil rig disaster to not have a presence left in California!
:hmmm:

Okagron

Prophet
4. Forced replay value. The game depends heavily on factions. Whether you’re working with the New California Republic, Caesar’s Legion, Mr. House, or just working for an independent New Vegas, you’re working for somebody. But what this means is that you can’t see everything your first trip through. Because once you get sufficiently deep in with some faction, you’ll be shunned by the other factions. My first playthrough found me committed to an independent New Vegas, and after starting to work with Mr. House, I was told that the NCR and Caesar’s Legion weren’t interested in working with me. That means, unlike the original, you can’t do everything in one go. You essentially have to restart (or go back to saves before you find yourself committed to one faction or another) in order to see how everything comes out.
It shows how much of a decline games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 are when people were led to believe that replay value is a bad thing and being able to do literally everything in one playthrough is a good thing.

It also shows Bethestards don't know what roleplaying is. Because the entire point of the multiple paths in New Vegas is to give Couriers with different backgrounds made up by the player a suitable faction (or lack of it in the case of Independent) to follow.

6. Too many continuity issues. I understand that Fallout 3 isn’t related to Fallout New Vegas, but we ARE in the same universe here. And as such, there were plenty of strange details no one seems to be willing to account for. For instance, while it was good to see the Brotherhood of Steel still up and running, I expected their presence to be a lot bigger given how near to their home ground they were. And where was the Enclave? For crying out loud, the Enclave is one state away! How is it NOT interfering? Surely the Enclave didn’t lose sufficient forces in the oil rig disaster to not have a presence left in California! Surely everybody didn’t pack up for the Capitol Wasteland! And while we’re at it, we’re in Nevada this time. Aliens got their own downloadable content in Fallout 3, but we can’t go to Roswell? Area 51? I’d like to at least see the Area 2 the Boomers were talking about where they landed their upgraded weapons. I can’t find it as is. Maybe there are explanations for some of this in the likely upcoming downloadable content, but for right now, lots of strange gray areas exist.
This one is far too fucking funny. Obviously the person who wrote this hasn't played Fallout 1 and 2 or else they would know New Vegas is continuing what those games started. Of course the BoS in New Vegas isn't the same as the one in Fallout 3, the one in Fallout 3 is not the actual BoS but a bunch of people larping as BoS thinking they are paladins of light that do only good.

The only thing remaining of the Enclave in New Vegas is the Remnants and that's because the Enclave as a faction was destroyed in Fallout 2. And that means it made no sense for the Enclave to be in Fallout 3. And they were only there because the entire point of Fallout 3 was to recycle as much as possible from Fallout 1 and 2, and that's because Bethesda after Morrowind became creatively bankrupt and decided to constantly recycle the same things over and over in each subsequent release.

I know it's a review from when New Vegas was released, but holy shit, it's really fucking bad. And it shows the person who wrote the review only played Fallout 3.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I want to buy game on Steam for replay, still can't stand the original visuals. If I'll run my Steam version through Nexus mods launcher, will the time spent in-game be counted on Steam?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I want to buy game on Steam for replay, still can't stand the original visuals. If I'll run my Steam version through Nexus mods launcher, will the time spent in-game be counted on Steam?

Man, how many Mod launchers does Fallout NV have at this point?

Tbh, if you have no plans on modding the game for the next months, I'd suggest you to go with a basic setup and avoid mod launchers all together (use FOMM for basic mod organisation). But if you're planning to use the Nexus launcher, the steam game time should go increase, since the mod launcher, like all the others, will call the steam Fallout.exe when trying to start the game (or the NVSE version of it).

Also, for a vanilla experience, Vanilla PlusReshade makes the game look nicer without going overboard.

0wca

Learned
Just to reminder what was the reaction to this game by mainstream audience:

The recent release of Fallout New Vegas has left the gaming community abuzz. Would we get a worthwhile title, or was this actually released too soon? I’ve been playing it for the last couple weeks now, and I’m convinced I’ve barely scratched the surface. We’ve already reviewed it here, but now, I’m set to take a look at it to close out the week. As much as I liked Fallout New Vegas, I just don’t think it stacks up to its previous installment. Fallout 3, so far, has been better than Fallout New Vegas, and here are the top six reasons why.

6. Too many continuity issues. I understand that Fallout 3 isn’t related to Fallout New Vegas, but we ARE in the same universe here. And as such, there were plenty of strange details no one seems to be willing to account for. For instance, while it was good to see the Brotherhood of Steel still up and running, I expected their presence to be a lot bigger given how near to their home ground they were. And where was the Enclave? For crying out loud, the Enclave is one state away! How is it NOT interfering? Surely the Enclave didn’t lose sufficient forces in the oil rig disaster to not have a presence left in California! Surely everybody didn’t pack up for the Capitol Wasteland! And while we’re at it, we’re in Nevada this time. Aliens got their own downloadable content in Fallout 3, but we can’t go to Roswell? Area 51? I’d like to at least see the Area 2 the Boomers were talking about where they landed their upgraded weapons. I can’t find it as is. Maybe there are explanations for some of this in the likely upcoming downloadable content, but for right now, lots of strange gray areas exist.

5. Frequent bugs. Sure, Fallout 3 was not without its issues–strange animal / rock hybrids where the various horrors of the Wasteland had fused with rocks–but they’re all over in Fallout New Vegas. I have lost multiple save games to Fallout New Vegas’ strange memory issues (seemingly whenever I come out of Vault 3), and once, I fell through the floor at the train tunnel near the Boomers’ camp. I was magically deposited in front of the exit, but it was still pretty weird. My companions would appear and disappear at random. I even had problems with the loading screen locking up. That roulette wheel suddenly stopping was an active heartbreaker. Sure, there are patches now, and that’s great. But still–even with patches, plenty of people are still having troubles.

3. Relatively limited story. Where with Fallout 3, you’d find both a larger story and a whole array of little stories. Whether you’re trying to help the Brotherhood of Steel wipe out the Enclave or you’re just out to save Megaton from an atomic fireball, you had all manner of stories. But in Fallout New Vegas, you’ll often find locations that seem to have no purpose. My time at Coyote Tail Ridge was a largely pointless venture, and I still find myself wondering what it means. I can’t find any actual purpose, other than a handful of graves nearby. It seems unconnected to any story, and…it’s just there. Why is it there? The Wiki gives me some story about NCR ambush teams and the whole Great Khans thing, but is this worth making a location out of it?

2. Radio options fewer. First, it IS awesome that they got Wayne Newton to handle the voice of Mr. New Vegas. That’s great. It’s wonderful, it truly is. But that having been said, Mr. New Vegas is no Three Dog. The news does not keep up the way it did back in Fallout 3. I remember Three Dog being horrified when I sent a horde of feral ghouls rampaging through Tenpenny Tower, and being filled with hope when I got Brian Wilks a home in the Capitol Wasteland. Mr. New Vegas, meanwhile, is too busy schmoozing to invisible characters to bother too much with what I do, and that detachment is disappointing. Dammit, Wayne, I just sent a horde of Caesar’s Legion slavers to their fiery deaths in Nelson, the least you can do is stop flirting with whatever blue hair happens to be listening long enough to say something about it! Oh, you did? No, you said the NCR took it back. The NCR stood around looking stupid while I handed Dead Sea his silly little skirt, but do you mention me? Oh no. Not you.

1. Increased emphasis on speech challenges. This annoyed me, and annoyed many of the folks I talked about with this, but for some reason, Fallout New Vegas depends a lot more on speech challenges than anything else. I, like many of my contemporaries, began by tricking out my skills in firearms and explosives, lockpicks and medicine and the like. But as it turns out, the biggest part of this game seemed to be the thing I usually needed least, especially in the last go-round. Sure, in Fallout 3, if I was a smooth talker I could get some things done. But in Fallout: New Vegas, I’m at a serious disadvantage if I can’t talk straight. It’s almost preposterous how much of this game depends on my ability to talk my way out of a fight instead of blast my way out of it with something heavy, and energy based.

Let’s not forget the central thrust here. For the most part, Fallout New Vegas is a great game, a fantastic time and well worth your time to play. It just has a rough time competing with its predecessor, and hopefully, as the inevitable flood of DLC emerges, Fallout New Vegas will only get better. But as it sits right now, it just can’t beat its predecessor. The student has not yet surpassed the master…though it may.

Fuck me, that's an actual review? The person who wrote this must think that Tetris is the pinnacle of the RPG experience.

6. Too many continuity issues. I'm actually not even gonna start with this one. Considering how many continuity issues the 3rd and 4th one introduce in the series, F:NV went out of its way to patch up the massive lore dumpster fire they caused. Ironically I think F3 and 4 are probably this reviewer's favorite games.

5. Frequent bugs. Probably the only one I agree with. Though unlike shitty storytelling, bugs can be fixed. And they were.

4. Forced replay value. Kill me now. This is NOT a complaint for an RPG it's ONE OF IT'S MAIN SELLING POINTS, RETARD.

3. Relatively limited story. Umm...what?

2. Radio options fewer. Oh now that's at the top list of priorities there. Fuck narrative choices, as long as we've got 500 radio stations we're good. Fucking moron.

1. Increased emphasis on speech challenges. It's called the Speech skill for a reason, idiot. It opens up new avenues that otherwise wouldn't be available to a rhetorical moron.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom