Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Farewell Blizzard! We knew thee well!

Elzair

Cipher
http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/the-destruction-of-blizzard/

Here is an excerpt from the end of the article.

Still think Starcraft 2 is delayed because Blizzard needs to ‘polish a little tad more’? It is more like King Kotick demands Battle.Net 2.0 to be Blizzard Live where, very likely, there will be fees involved either in subscription or microtransactions or ‘value services’.

And you get to buy Starcraft 2 three times… at a price most likely above $50 because King Kotick laughs, “If I could, I’d raise the price even higher!!!!”

Farewell Blizzard. I’ll give my money to someone else.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
You're all a bunch of butthurt pussies. Blizzard and Valve are awesome, because they're one of the last developers who still make polished PC games. You don't want to spend money on polished PC games? Then what?

Makagor

Liturgist
The point that the author of the linked article made is that Blizzard is changing their focus from 'polished PC games' to sustainable and expandable revenue streams. I want to spend money on polished PC games but it sounds like that Kotick dick just wants my money and is not interested in exchanging value for value.

Morgoth said:
You're all a bunch of butthurt pussies. Blizzard and Valve are awesome, because they're one of the last developers who still make polished PC games. You don't want to spend money on polished PC games? Then what?

Hello, retard.
Polished != good. Polished = cut content, polished = holding the player's hand, polished = casualfaggotry.
Bye, retard.

Hory

Erudite
Morgoth said:
The problem is that the more polished a game is, the more likely that it's a simple game. That's why Fallout and Arcanum aren't as polished as Diablo. Troika had to make unpolished games because they made complex games. Long live lack of polish!

cocorulverde

Educated
Morgoth said:
You're all a bunch of butthurt pussies. Blizzard and Valve are awesome, because they're one of the last developers who still make polished PC games.

Starcraft 2 - 50$
Polish - 100$

Thank you, come again.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Morgoth said:
The Orange Box was a great deal. You get 5 polished and great games for 50 bucks. Worth every single penny.
So will Starcraft 2.

But it seems the Codex prefers shitty unpolished games from dead companies instead.

Orange Box = HL2, EP1, EP2, Portal, TF2 = 50 bux
StarCraft 2 = Zerg, Protoss, Terran = Estimatedly in the 100's. Maybe more.

Now what was your point?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Orange Box pretty much sucked. An emo shooter with 4 hours long episodes + 2 hours long Portal with linear and casual gameplay. Those aren't even games - more like demo-versions. If buying several demo-versions is a great deal then I will prefer unpolished and buggy ArmA2 to it any day.

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Orange Box pretty much sucked. An emo shooter with 4 hours long episodes, a yet another deathmatch multiplayer boredom + 2 hour long Portal with linear and casual gameplay. If this is a great deal then I will prefer unpolished and buggy ArmA2 any day.

I really don't understand the bitching about Portal being linear. It's a fucking puzzle game.

The game could definitely be a bit harder and longer though, no argument there. I just don't think "waaah it's linear" is a valid criticism. Not all games benefit from non-linearity.

Morgoth said:
The Orange Box was a great deal. You get 5 polished and great games for 50 bucks.

A mediocre game you already own, shitty three hour long mod for it, two hour long techdemo and dumbed down Team Fortress... what was the fifth one?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Hobo Elf said:
Morgoth said:
The Orange Box was a great deal. You get 5 polished and great games for 50 bucks. Worth every single penny.
So will Starcraft 2.

But it seems the Codex prefers shitty unpolished games from dead companies instead.

Orange Box = HL2, EP1, EP2, Portal, TF2 = 50 bux
StarCraft 2 = Zerg, Protoss, Terran = Estimatedly in the 100's. Maybe more.

Now what was your point?
?

Starcraft 2 = Full Terran Campaign, plus Zerg, Terran and Protoss in Multiplayer.
How to you know the other two Starcraft 2 games will cost 50 bucks as well? They may go out as an addon price. And even if they don't, I'll gladly pay full price for the other two campaigns as well. Because I know I get great quality from Blizzard, something you sad jokers can't acknowledge.

And a big LOL to ArmA2. Boring, bug ridden shit.

Hory said:
Morgoth said:
The problem is that the more polished a game is, the more likely that it's a simple game. That's why Fallout and Arcanum aren't as polished as Diablo. Troika had to make unpolished games because they made complex games. Long live lack of polish!

Of course, that lack of polish meant that the game that should have catapulted them into mainstream mega-success and funded another 3 games at least (VTM:BL - a game that could have easily appealed to the mainstream), was so buggy that it was unplayable for most people. Not to mention poorly optimised. Machines that could play HL2 no problem couldn't operate once you stepped out of the apartment in VTM:BL. I remember fanmade patches being released to REMOVE the sky, in a vain attempt to make the game run on the recommended specs. And if you had no problems running the game, you would then run into several game-stopping bugs, and a fuckzillion of other bugs, many of which were only fixed by the community.

Most of the poor reviews at that point weren't reviewers being morons - many reviews noted how great Arcanum was, and how much they wanted the game to be great, but that they just couldn't give a positive view to a game that badly broken. And the few idiot reviews that were there could have been alleviated if the developers took the rather simple step (i.e. polish) of explaining to people new to rpgs (or people who couldn't fathom that a FPS was also an RPG - in those days the combination wasn't that common) that yes they can expect guns to be useless until you pump points into it (a line or 2 in the tutorial would have done the job).

Sorry, but you need both. Maybe not Blizz level polish, but frankly that's a rarity. Polish includes things like lore continuity as well, so I certainly wouldn't say there's a clear polish vs quality tradeoff at work. Bethesda manages to screw both up just fine.

Black Isle/Interplay were actually pretty damn polished, professional and had good hype/marketing for much of their existence (prior to their virtual implosion). You can't say that Troika was right to place so little resources into Q+A and polish, given that the result was that their games wouldn't have even been playable if the community hadn't fixed them. If Troika had a semi-decent (i.e. Interplay) level of Q+A, they'd still be making games today. Personally, I would have preferred VTM:BL to have 2 less clans, or even HALF the clans if necessary, if that would have allowed them to adequately bugtest the thing (hey, it might even have meant that the end sequences weren't as rushed and full of mindless combat). Yep, I'd trade 2 clans anyday, if it meant that Troika was still around and on to their 3rd post-VTM:BL rpg.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Machines that could play HL2 no problem couldn't operate once you stepped out of the apartment in VTM:BL. I remember fanmade patches being released to REMOVE the sky, in a vain attempt to make the game run on the recommended specs.

I've completed VtmB on Athlon XP 1.8 GHz, 512 MBs RAM and Radeon 9000 Pro 64 Mbs - pretty much specs of 2002. Now I don't know what were those recommended specs but you needed to have a really shitty PC to not be able to play VtmB. Sure it was laggy but far from unplayable - now gamebreaking bugs is another thing.

cocorulverde

Educated
Morgoth said:
They may go out as an addon price.
I have this strange feeling they may not go out at addon price because Uncle Blizzard knows
Morgoth said:
I'll gladly pay full price for the other two campaigns as well. Because I know I get great quality from Blizzard, something you sad jokers can't acknowledge.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Morgoth said:
I bought it for 20 and still felt like I was ripped off. After all the praise I had heard about it HL2 turned out to be an on-rails snorefest with boring enemies and boring weapons. Portal has some of the easiest puzzles I've ever seen. Can't speak about TF2 because I don't do multiplayer.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I made this silly observation some time ago that Morgoth should get that particular, bright-red tag with a few exclamation marks.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Hümmelgümpf said:
Morgoth said:
I bought it for 20 and still felt like I was ripped off. After all the praise I had heard about it HL2 turned out to be an on-rails snorefest with boring enemies and boring weapons. Portal has some of the easiest puzzles I've ever seen. Can't speak about TF2 because I don't do multiplayer.
Well, that's your thing then.

I got HL2 the day it came out (in 2004), and it felt very fresh and professional for a shooter. The art, the setting, Alyxx etc. It was all great, much better then your average UT or Quake shit.
Ep1 and Ep2 just were a bit tighter and a bit more perfectionated than HL2. From Ep3, I expect some major overhaul though. Same for Portal 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom