Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite Video Game OST's

KalosKagathos

Learned

madbringer

Arcane
Coyote said:
madbringer said:
The ominous, ambient music of Zork: Nemesis is brilliant as well.

Oh yeah, definitely. And I was thinking of that exact example when I clicked on your link. Between that, the artistic design of the temple, and that creepy-ass voice you heard while exploring, that temple had some great atmosphere.

(It's amazing how differently the three Zork graphic adventures turned out in terms of atmosphere. Return to Zork was nothing like Nemesis, which in turn was nothing like Grand Inquisitor.)

Ah, a fellow fan, i see. :)

I always felt the music played the most important part of all Zork games in Nemesis. I didn't even notice until about my fourth or fifth playthrough how much it adds to the creepy, desolate and somnolent aura of that game. All three of those games have excellent music scores, but it's in Nemesis that the music was actually almost a gameplay feature.

GI's Crossroads theme always stuck in my head. It has that awesome, yet sad "the grandness that passed" feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVLz7beKu2E

Time to look for those CDs, again... :cool:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Thread sucks, OP is a faggot I'll let you off because you posted the beyond-awesome Quake main theme.

The best Quake track however is undoubtedly Slipgate Complex (warning: takes about 5 minutes to build up)

CrimHead

Scholar
This is about video game SOUNDTRACKS, Drog, ie. a video game's total musical pieces as a cohesive whole, not your assorted favorites as in the "awesome music" thread. There's a massive difference. One is a cool addition to a game (a specific song), while the other is all important in maintaining a certain atmosphere throughout the course of the game.

What you're saying right now is that there should be one thread, on the entire codex, devoted to VIDEO GAME MUSIC, while just the other day you made YET ANOTHER thread about arcanum (troll thread, I might add) and racofer made YET ANOTHER thread about Dragon Age Origins, and practically every day YET ANOTHER thread gets made about Alpha Protocol. By this line of thinking, any thread which is even slightly reminiscent of another thread on the codex should result in the immediate banning of its creator.

yaster

Liturgist
madbringer said:
brilliant as well.
Blade Runner featured music composed by Vangelis, just like the movie, it's soundtrack thus became teh awsumz by default.

I thought Westwood didn't have rights to original film score so Klepacki made 'inspired by Vangelis' type of music. It does sound like major copi-pasta though.

madbringer said:
Heroes of Might and Magic 4. Definitely the most epic soundtrack of all the titles in the series.

Yeah, it's fantastic.

Also: to force proper :decline: codex seems to be lacking lately I'll mention soundtracks from recent games, some of them even being papamole. And then I'll say it's good stuff.

• - brilliant endeavour form Solar Fields in Mirror's Edge
    - the same as before from Mushroomer in Tension. Though, I've got to admit that I prefer unused ingame tracks slightly more, mostly from Andriesh Gandrabur, a Pathlogic composer
    - atmospheric use of various ambient artist in Osmos
    - Braid have kinda fitting score
    - uhh, erm... damn it, i don't know more popamole stuff with music I like :(
    - aha! I forgot about ma'man Zeno Clash. Pretty nice.
It's good stuff.

madbringer

Arcane
yaster said:
madbringer said:
Heroes of Might and Magic 4. Definitely the most epic soundtrack of all the titles in the series.

Yeah, it's fantastic.

No, i'm sorry. 4 is inferior to 2 in every conceivable way, soundtrack quality as well. Although, admittedly, it's where probably it gets the closest to 2's quality.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dont listen to games' music when im not playing them but many games have great and atmospheric music imo. Let Silent Hill 2, Bloodlines or The Witcher be examples. I cant choose bestof the best though, too hard choice for me.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I remember a similiar thread a couple of weeks ago. It was better, but then again anything can be better than this shitty fucking thread. Do a search, motherfucker.

Anyway,

Anything by Alexander Brandon, Mark Morgan, Eric Brosius and Michel van den Bos. I'm forgetting a million other composers that can't do anything wrong but those four are at the top of my head.

Turrican.

I also like the soundtracks for the BioShock games. Garry Schyman (composer) did a good job on the original music but the real gems are the tunes from The Ink Spots, Django Reinhardt and Noel Coward just to name a few of the jazzy class acts they put in the game. I think there's some Bing Crosby in there as well. Great.

The same have to be said about Fallout 3, but unfortunately you have to listen to that insufferable annoyance Three Dog in between. Not to mention play the fucking game.

More game radio, GTA Vice City and San Andreas are great. The rest of the series doesn't hold a candle.

For more of my recommendations, do a search, motherfucker.

yaster

Liturgist
madbringer said:
No, i'm sorry. 4 is inferior to 2 in every conceivable way, soundtrack quality as well. Although, admittedly, it's where probably it gets the closest to 2's quality.

Why do you lie? :(

Personally I think that Baca, King & Romero were at the beginning of forming they own style when making Homm2 music. There is definitely lots of great stuff there like this or that, lots of great moments but as a whole It's lacking. Both on the level of single tracks (some of them) and as album. The transition seems tacked on, some part feels unfitting and overall style isn't as strongly defined. For example I question that opera part in knight track, it's rather so-so.

On the other hand, Baca, King & Romero really seems to have very clear idea how they want to Homm4 score to sound. The whole album is rooted in similar music, one track after another feels like continuation of the same line, one never-ending track. While at the same remaining very varied, it's quite fantastic. Also, generally I think Homm4 is much more engaging.

Of course I might (just might) be simply dumb deaf fanboy, with deserves nothing more but being shot, hanged on the nearest tree and then stabbed to death. Twice, to be sure.

Andyman Messiah said:
Anything by Alexander Brandon, Mark Morgan, Eric Brosius and Michel van den Bos. I'm forgetting a million other composers that can't do anything wrong but those four are at the top of my head.

Huh, it's the first time I see anybody mentioning van den Bos in those threads. More power to you!

Andyman Messiah said:
More game radio, GTA Vice City and San Andreas are great. The rest of the series doesn't hold a candle.

GTA 4 have The Journey (or sumfing like this) station with have such gems like Philip Glass and his Koyaanisqatsi so it's autowin. Sorry.

madbringer

Arcane
yaster said:
Why do you lie? :(

Personally I think that Baca, King & Romero were at the beginning of forming they own style when making Homm2 music. There is definitely lots of great stuff there like this or that, lots of great moments but as a whole It's lacking. Both on the level of single tracks (some of them) and as album. The transition seems tacked on, some part feels unfitting and overall style isn't as strongly defined. For example I question that opera part in knight track, it's rather so-so.

On the other hand, Baca, King & Romero really seems to have very clear idea how they want to Homm4 score to sound. The whole album is rooted in similar music, one track after another feels like continuation of the same line, one never-ending track. While at the same remaining very varied, it's quite fantastic. Also, generally I think Homm4 is much more engaging.

Of course I might (just might) be simply dumb deaf fanboy, with deserves nothing more but being shot, hanged on the nearest tree and then stabbed to death. Twice, to be sure.

I feel you. I realize there are holes HoMM 2's soundtrack, and it's not quite as comprehensive as their later works, but when it does work, it works magic, for me at least. None of the later soundtracks strike me in such a vibrant manner, more refined and complete they may be.

I guess part of me being so enamored with it is simply because it's the first HoMM game i played, and i've got all of those tunes embedded in my brain. They're not just excellent pieces of skilled craftsment, they're a part of some of the best years of my life. I'm nostalgic like that. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom