Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FFG's Star Wars RPG

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I got copies of all the FFG Star Wars RPG books and they're really great. The game is set in the OT era, but can be modified easily to work with the PT or earlier and ST era. The core rulebooks are Edge of the Empire that covers Smugglers, Bounty Hunters, etc... Age of the Rebellion covers the Rebellion careers like pilots and special forces. The final core book is Force and Destiny that covers Jedi and Force Users. Character creation is pretty straight forward where you choose motivations, a background, a career, and specializations that really differentiate the character careers to prevent cookie cutter builds. The only thing is that it uses custom dice which are supposed to give you narrative results like you succeed, but there's complications etc...

Would anyone be interested in running a campaign online using Google+ Hangouts?

I played this a little bit because I'm a dumb SW nerd with way too much disposable income. It's not bad, and actually less gimmicky then I expected with the custom dice, but there's also no real reason to play it over (the freely available) WEG/REUp, since it's bluntly inferior in pretty much every way (with the possible exception of combat, depending on your pnp preferences), and is also clearly designed as a cash grab in the way the books are released/segmented.

There are definitely worse pnp games out there, but it gets a solid "meh/10" from me.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I played this a little bit because I'm a dumb SW nerd with way too much disposable income. It's not bad, and actually less gimmicky then I expected with the custom dice, but there's also no real reason to play it over (the freely available) WEG/REUp, since it's bluntly inferior in pretty much every way (with the possible exception of combat, depending on your pnp preferences), and is also clearly designed as a cash grab in the way the books are released/segmented.

There are definitely worse pnp games out there, but it gets a solid "meh/10" from me.

Thank you for the feedback. I played and ran the heck out WEG SW back in the day. It's not perfect when it gets to high level play, especially Jedi. I wanted to see how this iteration was since I have a severe disdain for anything D20. That's why I never played the D20 SW RPG or even the Saga version. The things I like about the FFG version is the specialization trees and the more flexible the options are for creating a character.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This system screamed cash grab to me and I avoided it for a long time, then finally broke down and bought them a month or so ago.

The system for stats reminds me of WEG without the variability that could lead you into weirdness with things like invincible wookiees and barabels. Generally I like the feel of it, but the way they're releasing things like species irks me. Figure I'll get a feel for it and if I enjoy it adapt stats from WEG for most things.

D20 Star Wars was basically D&D in space with all sorts of issues like characters exploding as soon as anyone took a full attack action.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
This system screamed cash grab to me and I avoided it for a long time, then finally broke down and bought them a month or so ago.

The system for stats reminds me of WEG without the variability that could lead you into weirdness with things like invincible wookiees and barabels. Generally I like the feel of it, but the way they're releasing things like species irks me. Figure I'll get a feel for it and if I enjoy it adapt stats from WEG for most things.

D20 Star Wars was basically D&D in space with all sorts of issues like characters exploding as soon as anyone took a full attack action.

Well if you decide to run an online game, you'll have two players ready. JarlFrank and I want to play it. :lol:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I seriously doubt I'll have time for that any time soon, sorry. ;)

Planning on running a game for the kids in a day or two though since they're into Star Wars and I'm curious how this thing actually plays compared to WEG D6. I miss being able to be a player with friends though.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I seriously doubt I'll have time for that any time soon, sorry. ;)

Planning on running a game for the kids in a day or two though since they're into Star Wars and I'm curious how this thing actually plays compared to WEG D6. I miss being able to be a player with friends though.

No worries bud, but if you do you have two players automatically. :)

Have fun running it with your kids and let me know how it goes.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the dice system. It's great for narration driven sessions.

Andhaira

Arcane

Thank you for the feedback. I played and ran the heck out WEG SW back in the day. It's not perfect when it gets to high level play, especially Jedi. I wanted to see how this iteration was since I have a severe disdain for anything D20. That's why I never played the D20 SW RPG or even the Saga version. The things I like about the FFG version is the specialization trees and the more flexible the options are for creating a character.

SW Saga edition is the best SW pnp rpg out there period. it is a full complete game, and the character variations are boundless, yet all scream space fantasy archtypes.

The way the game handles Jedi, the Force, and combat is really good as well. Character advancement is also great. The system also plays and runs smooth, and characters at the highest levels can be brought down by mooks due to the Condition Track, and the fact that blasters and similar weapons do massive damage. This is not the older d20 version, which indeed had issues, nor is this D&D in space, as the d20 system used is heavily customized and restructured; it was actually what D&D4e was supposed to be at one point in time and is considered by many to be the best iteration of d20 hands down.

The only thing I would want from a revised version (which hopefully happens after FFG end their license) is levels go from 1-10 instead of 1-20.

FFG games have gorgeous art, but the system is too wonky and it is a balatant cash grab, with all the reprinted rules and the card packs and the spec dice. The sole reason for the spec dice was to dissuade piracy of pdf books; but people were pirating scans from day of the beta.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
it could do without that yes but stuff like playing poker with the devil when casting spells and shit is 10/10 top notch bestest mechanic ever and derplands wouldnt be even half as cool without it

fag

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'd have respected the opinion if your complaint was that it was a cash grab, but there's nothing wrong with trying to make a game that uses more than dice for task resolution.
There is a whole lot wrong with it. RPG should use d4-100 dice and that's it. Anything else should be optional at best.

it could do without that yes but stuff like playing poker with the devil when casting spells and shit is 10/10 top notch bestest mechanic ever and derplands wouldnt be even half as cool without it

fag
I wouldn't know since I didn't play a huckster or whatever precisely because of having to use cards.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

SW Saga edition is the best SW pnp rpg out there period. it is a full complete game, and the character variations are boundless, yet all scream space fantasy archtypes.

The way the game handles Jedi, the Force, and combat is really good as well. Character advancement is also great. The system also plays and runs smooth, and characters at the highest levels can be brought down by mooks due to the Condition Track, and the fact that blasters and similar weapons do massive damage. This is not the older d20 version, which indeed had issues, nor is this D&D in space, as the d20 system used is heavily customized and restructured; it was actually what D&D4e was supposed to be at one point in time and is considered by many to be the best iteration of d20 hands down.

The only thing I would want from a revised version (which hopefully happens after FFG end their license) is levels go from 1-10 instead of 1-20.

FFG games have gorgeous art, but the system is too wonky and it is a balatant cash grab, with all the reprinted rules and the card packs and the spec dice. The sole reason for the spec dice was to dissuade piracy of pdf books; but people were pirating scans from day of the beta.

I hate levels and d20's. Also, the dice aren't there to prevent piracy since the books have a table for using regular d6s, d8s, and d12s for resolution.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Also, the dice aren't there to prevent piracy since the books have a table for using regular d6s, d8s, and d12s for resolution.
So you have to check a table every time you roll? Sounds fun.

Nope, because someone made an app for die rolling using their dice in Google Hangouts and Roll20.net.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom