Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Firearms in FP RT RPG

MCA
How to do it?

How does shooting single/semi/auto fire work in real life? How to translate that into stats meaningfully without manual skill exploits?

MCA
In FNV, I could score headshots with rifles from a significant distance outside VATS with zero investment in Guns.

In Deus Ex, your Weapons:Rifle determined how much aiming scope wobbled around but your shots always ended up at wherever it was aimed at any given moment, so you could just shoot anyone over any distance if you had the skill to coordinate mouse movement against the wobbling, without any investment in the skill. It's ironic that NOLF2, a non-RPG game with skills, did this better than DX:

GameFAQs said:
Marksmanship:
This describes how accurately you can aim and fire weapons.

Accuracy - Your aiming precision. A high accuracy makes headshots easy!
Steadiness - Describes how much your view will waver while using a scope.
Correction - How quickly you fix your aim (the crosshairs' blurry state) after moving, firing, or being hit.

Then again, a hefty amount of people don't consider DX an RPG either.

I'm also against the "larger reticule, larger spread" nonsense. Maybe because I haven't seen it done right but all the implementations have been ridiculous.

Maybe a "focusing" (not iron sights) key that when held down, it highlights general or specific body parts that you can aim based on your skill? Maybe it can slow down the game very slightly too? I don't know.

DraQ

Arcane
villain of the story said:
How to do it?

How does shooting single/semi/auto fire work in real life? How to translate that into stats meaningfully without manual skill exploits?
Depends on what you mean by "manual skill exploits".

If "any amount of player skill", then you don't.

If "high player skill overriding low character skill" then it's simple - you need to concentrate on those aspects that cannot be overridden by player's skill - firing cone, reload time, critical failures, etc.

You can mix in as much of weapon sway, recoil, aiming inertia and such as you want to spice things up, help convey what does given skill level mean, help illustrate the firing cone, and accent skill deficits, but those aspects alone won't prevent player skill overriding character skill.

You may try fiddling around with critical hit chance, but you need to be very subtle about it and even then it's very risky so I wouldn't.

Of course, shotguns shouldn't get extra spread from poor skill, instead, same error should be added to all pellets in a pattern.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
you didn't say the extent to which you wanted to eliminate manual skill from this activity

on addressing the larger reticule and spread problem

by basing reticule size on individual weapon attribute and predetermining how close the shots shots land on hostiles within the reticule according to stat and probability and hostile cover/positioning regardless of whether your screen is centered on their head or not

with successful prioritizing of multiple targets based on proximity to center of reticule first and then stats or just the latter if you like making players very upset about specific situations

i.e. if your stats are great and your IRL aim is shit just having the edge of the circle graze the hitbox of an enemy when you click the left mouse button will result in a headshot

DraQ

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
you didn't say the extent to which you wanted to eliminate manual skill from this activity

on addressing the larger reticule and spread problem

by basing reticule size on individual weapon attribute and predetermining how close the shots shots land on hostiles within the reticule according to stat and probability and hostile cover/positioning regardless of whether your screen is centered on their head or not

with successful prioritizing of multiple targets based on proximity to center of reticule first and then stats or just the latter if you like making players very upset about specific situations

i.e. if your stats are great and your IRL aim is shit just having the edge of the circle graze the hitbox of an enemy when you click the left mouse button will result in a headshot
But that equals autoaim.

If you want to eliminate player skill rather than just enforcing character skill, then you don't go RT FPP.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
For that you just need to outright calculate weapon hit probability with stats after successfully targetting with the trigger key

then player skill determines whether you have the chance to hit at all, the basic foundation of attack resolution in combat

the rest is preference and what the op considers good roleplaying with a gun

DraQ

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
For that you just need to outright calculate weapon hit probability with stats after successfully targetting with the trigger key
Cludgy.

Fire cone is much more natural, since it handles the problem that bullet must go somewhere as well as implicitly handling stuff like range/hit probability relationship.

Weapon sway may be used to help 'explain' the wide firing cone (lol can't steady your aim).

You can also be evil and jerk the aim in the split second between firing and button press - jerking the weapon off target when squeezing the trigger is a common problem among inexperienced shooters.

then player skill determines whether you have the chance to hit at all, the basic foundation of attack resolution in combat
Both player and character skill determine that.

Also, autoaim introduces entire new set of problems when weapons are not hitscan.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
DraQ said:
Fire cone is much more natural, since it handles the problem that bullet must go somewhere as well as implicitly handling stuff like range/hit probability relationship.

I think a fire cone counts as the larger reticule, random spread thing the op didn't like

autoaim already happens in rpgs, this is about negotiating how much of the take that player reflexes get

remember we're talking stats here and not just a sticky snap-to crosshair

when autoaiming a fixed reticule already implies a cone of effect with all the behind the scenes stuff you like about it.

and being natural is all individual semantics, it's all a combination of what any given person prefers in regards to a specific character and player skill mixture in a specific presentation

]Both player and character skill determine that.

when I said chance to hit at all I was referring a binary outcome gate with further elaboration by stats upon success so yes, my point being that player skill would determine whether you would have the chance to succeed in the first place

again this is all moving goalposts

Also, autoaim introduces entire new set of problems when weapons are not hitscan.

hilarious inclusion of helpful leading reticule, hot zone or ghost image in relation to target vector and speed with such weapons equipped with greatly lowered damage elsewhere

seriously talking non hitscan here is like wondering how a wizard is going to aim his fireball in the infinity engine so you can go ahead and give your own solution

I'd probably make the stats do work elsewhere like splash damage, reduction of friendly fire, lock on speed etc

so this is why they didn't have mass rocket launcher fights in alpha protocol

mondblut

Arcane
What's the point of making an FPS with player's skill overridden?

(and a first-person RT game with shooting IS an FPS, no matter how much do you cripple and maim it with "RPG elements").

u r doing it wrong. Dropping RT, FP, or firearms, would be a good start. Better yet, any 2 of those.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
yeah, this is pretty much the equivalent of dragon age 2ing fpses

I'd just do other stuff like restricting weaponry and extra abilities and shit

for action games player skill is concern best left to a difficulty slider

it's not real life but I don't think arma II has marksmanship skill points

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe a "focusing" (not iron sights) key that when held down, it highlights general or specific body parts that you can aim based on your skill? Maybe it can slow down the game very slightly too? I don't know.

Jade Empire had focus, and while not a shooter I always thought the ability to slow your perception of time would make a decent abstract representation of both accuracy and quick thinking.

DraQ

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
I'd just do other stuff like restricting weaponry
So it would be System Shock 2 all over again?
System Shock 2 Grunt said:
Yay! After pouring three levels'worth of cyber modules into my standard weapon skill I, cybernetically augmented trained soldier, can now use my hands to hold a pump-action shotgun! Oh boy!
Clearly the best implementation of weapon skills ever! :roll:

and extra abilities
Such as?

Word.

sgc_meltdown said:
DraQ said:

I think a fire cone counts as the larger reticule, random spread thing the op didn't like
That's tough luck, since I don't know of anything that would represent poor accuracy better than poor accuracy.

The only issue might be portrayal of it, because bullets flying all around the screen when you're aiming straight are a bit WTF - not so much when your character clearly can't hold the weapon steadily enough.

Also, Deus Ex isn't very good example, since you could achieve admirable accuracy regardless of your skill if you waited for reticle to contract. Good implementation if you want to prohibit only run&gun use of weapons, bad otherwise.

autoaim already happens in rpgs, this is about negotiating how much of the take that player reflexes get

remember we're talking stats here and not just a sticky snap-to crosshair

when autoaiming a fixed reticule already implies a cone of effect with all the behind the scenes stuff you like about it.
No, it doesn't.

Autoaim would happen in RPGs if the game got to decide what you really meant when issuing attack command and, for example, targetted vulnerable mage rather than his meaty summon you clicked on if your character had high enough skill. Autoaim doesn't override player's skill, it overrides player's attack orders and I don't think I need to say how bad it is when game tries to think for the player.

Moreso, since autoaim overrides player input, a skilled player would benefit for playing possibly unskilled character since this would mean less of his input being overridden - polar opposite of an RPG.

There is a reason why autoaim disappeared or became optional in all but consoleturd FPSes as soon as mouselook became popular.

when I said chance to hit at all I was referring a binary outcome gate with further elaboration by stats upon success so yes, my point being that player skill would determine whether you would have the chance to succeed in the first place

again this is all moving goalposts
Why? Since when is removal player skill from a fucking *GAME* a goal? RPG is about adding *CHARACTER* skill, not removal of *PLAYER* skill.
If I don't want good build to suddenly abolish the need for my own tactical skills or puzzle solving skills, or not-getting-buttfucked-by-deceptive-fucks skill, why should it abolish my aiming skill if the game is fucking RT FPP and requires me to aim manually?

cRPGs are not really a genre, they are design element - if you introduce an intermediate layer of character stats between interface and the gameworld, make those stats variables that are player influenced but also have some sort of inertia, you have a cRPG. If those stats have a great impact on how you play the game, ideally forcing completely different approach for completely different stats, then you have a good RPG. If stat system is unified (all the other characters also use it) and if there are also stat-independent C&C - even better, but all genres benefit from C&C and unified mechanics.

So, if you insert this character layer into a tactical game, you have a tactical RPG, if you insert it into a hypothetical blob crawler with premade party and no level-ups, you have a blob crawler cRPG, and, if you put it into an FPS, you have an RT FPP RPG.

If instead of perfecting the character layer whilst broadening and deepening its influence on the game you strive to make the tactical part less tactical, or FPS part less FPSy, you're doing it wrong.

hilarious inclusion of helpful leading reticule, hot zone or ghost image in relation to target vector and speed with such weapons equipped with greatly lowered damage elsewhere

seriously talking non hitscan here is like wondering how a wizard is going to aim his fireball in the infinity engine so you can go ahead and give your own solution
Indeed it is. And for a good reason - THE solution is exactly what infinity engine does - landing the fireball where I tell it, rather than trying to guess what I really meant and then overriding my precise and direct command.

And if not trying to make it smart is the right way to make the interface work, why change this philosophy when there arises the need to add skill-based error?

Just add randomized error to my command and get it over with.
:x

I'd probably make the stats do work elsewhere like splash damage, reduction of friendly fire, lock on speed etc
Except my skills have nothing to do with how much damage will a rocket do in its kill radius or what energy do my bullets carry.

My skills influence accuracy - so lets make them influence accuracy.
My skills influence reload speed - lets make them influence reload speed.
My skills influence recoil management, ability to re-aim the weapon quickly or maintain aim on the target and handling in general - make them do so.
My skills also influence stupid fuck-ups, like injuring myself or damaging my weapon - critical failures.

That's it - why do you insist on applying singular adjustments to individual derived aspects, if they won't even work as intended and when a simple modification of base stat would do?
Why do you try to reinvent obvious solutions? We are not at fucking bethpizda and you're not fucking Todd Howard, FFS.

Kraszu

Prophet
Trying to change aiming to much suck gameplay wise, FPS where you aim with 100% precision with no recoil suck, and FPS where you have ridiculously bad precision suck as well.

So instead of playing with that why not make the game in say a steampunk where making your own weapons//upgrading them is very important. Want to completely limit player ability to kill everything? Nothing easier just make his shitty "low level" weapons too weak too penetrate stronger enemies. You could also make some enemies immune to some types of dmg if you have magic, that would force you too learn to make weapon or bullets that could harm them.

DraQ

Arcane
Kraszu said:
Trying to change aiming to much suck gameplay wise, FPS where you aim with 100% precision with no recoil suck, and FPS where you have ridiculously bad precision suck as well.

So instead of playing with that why not make the game in say a steampunk where making your own weapons//upgrading them is very important. Want to completely limit player ability to kill everything? Nothing easier just make his shitty "low level" weapons too weak too penetrate stronger enemies. You could also make some enemies immune to some types of dmg if you have magic, that would force you too learn to make weapon or bullets that could harm them.
Hello? RPG? Stats? RPGCodex? Any of those rings a bell?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
DraQ said:

OURnA.png

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Easy way out to make character skill matters is to give damage bonus. Too obvious? Increase critical hits (which is the same as damage bonus). Increase rate of fire? I don't think this has been done before. I don't quite like this idea myself.

FPS with stats that I remember:

System Shock 2.
Deus Ex.
Alpha Protocol.
Fallout 3.

None of them did it well. For FO3, a mod allows you to modify weapon skill effect, originally it was 50/50 for accuracy and damage, the default mod is I think 75/25 for accuracry and damage, I prefer to change it to 100% accuracy.

It was frustrating to shoot with 25 weapon skill and it encourages me to pump that skill. Thus doing what I wanted, character specialization.

Also, was there a game where you get a to-hit roll when you shoot someone? Daggerfall? Morrowind? You can miss even if your arrows hit. Think of it as non-penetration.

Not a big deal for me, I can handle invisible numbers behind my bullets.

deuxhero

Arcane
The new My Little Pony show is actually pretty good (It's made by the staff of the golden age Cartoon Network shows like DL, EEE, SJ, PPG and it shows). Don't honor CoD like that.

Kraszu

Prophet
DraQ said:
Kraszu said:

Hello? RPG? Stats? RPGCodex? Any of those rings a bell?

How is learning how to upgrade a weapon not a stat? You could have plenty of stats that allows for different builds with that. Playing with technology patch with Arcanum was like that so I had assumed that everybody would know what I mean by "learn to make". There were just few levels of shooting skill there, you could have skill for lower recoil, and better accuracy as well just don't over the board with it "Trying to change aiming to much".

DraQ

Arcane
Kraszu said:
How is learning how to upgrade a weapon not a stat?
It's not a stat determining accuracy or weapon effectiveness in general. For example you may make an NPC upgrade a weapon for you or you may be forced to use unupgraded weapon for some time and you have your actual combat performance completely independent on the related skill.

Mighty Mouse said:
Easy way out to make character skill matters is to give damage bonus. Too obvious?
Obvious and pretty derp. May also lead to retarded shit happening in conjunction with other parts of mechanics. For example, if game uses DT+DR armour mechanics, a sufficiently skilled character may suddenly turn out to be capable of shooting through a suit of combat armour with an air rifle, while an inept one may fail to penetrate the same suit with an anti-materiel rifle or rocket launcher.
Critical chance is better, because criticals in general represent precision that's below resolution of normal combat mechanics, but you can still go overboard rather easily.

Besides:
I prefer to change it to 100% accuracy.
Case in point.

Increase rate of fire? I don't think this has been done before. I don't quite like this idea myself.
Viable for non-automatic weapons. Retarded otherwise.

Also, was there a game where you get a to-hit roll when you shoot someone? Daggerfall? Morrowind? You can miss even if your arrows hit. Think of it as non-penetration.

Not a big deal for me, I can handle invisible numbers behind my bullets.
Morrowind, and it generally worked, but it was very clunky implementation with many problems of its own.

One thing is that you can't think of it as non-penetration as non-penetration depends on target's armour and what you hit with, while missing in Morrowind was controlled entirely by your and target's agility, luck, your skill and modifiers from sanctuary, blindness and fortify attack. Armour and damage had nothing to say unless the hit was actually registered.

Then, the problem with numbers behind your bullets as opposed to the numbers behind your gun, is that they fail to address several problems:

First, there is difficulty of the shot itself. If I can hit the collision box, there is no difference whether the target is behind the cover or how far it is - hit probability will be exactly the same for the same values of skill regardless of circumstances.

Second, the bullet needs to go somewhere. If your system does not take into account hitting something or someone else than your intended target, it's not very good. And then you have grenades, rockets and enchanted arrows with large area of effect that badly need to be tracked after they miss their intended target.

Kraszu

Prophet
DraQ said:
Kraszu said:
How is learning how to upgrade a weapon not a stat?
It's not a stat determining accuracy or weapon effectiveness in general. For example you may make an NPC upgrade a weapon for you or you may be forced to use unupgraded weapon for some time and you have your actual combat performance completely independent on the related skill.

Duh, you design the game around the system that you use. I never had such a situation in Arcanum. That would be like saying that having guild specific armours doesn't matter because you can buy the same armour from the merchant or find it on the ground, well you can't if you make the armour exclusive, and impossible to get anywhere else wtf Draq why do I even have to explain this.

MCA
Let's say we don't want a Diablo in first person, so substituting accuracy, damage, RoF etc. with each other for the purposes of tank/support balancing is not viable a solution (other stuff the ability to aim rapidly are ok, obviously). The decision to resort to firearms should depend on whether "your gun does all the talking", you like being able to take targets down from a safe distance, you keep one or two just in case or you are are an absolute pacifist who wouldn't know how to fire a rifle without dislodging a shoulder (and anything between these) ie. ideally following the Fallout school of RPG design (particular flaws or exploits of FO excluded).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
particular flaws or exploits of FO excluded

You'd be left with nothing. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom