Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Arcanum playthrough... disappointed :shrug:

MMXI

Arcane
But I thought Arcanum was the hive mind's third favourite RPG!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:( I can't defend troika on this. None of the combat encounters are memorable. And the dungeons are rage inducing to be honest.

But only Black Mountain and Vendrigoth are forced on you. The rest are optional with the proper persuasion checks to bypass a few.

tindrli

Arcane
FUCK YOU ALL!!! arcanum was one of the best!!! you should all go and play gayage origins

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Esquilax said:
Virgil really annoyed the shit out of me. Some bad writing there too: "Oooh, I have a shady, dark past that I've conspicuously mentioned BUT I CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT!" Really cheesy. Am I the only one who found him annoying? Didn't help that the VO made him sound like kind of a pussy too.

I have a feeling that you and Surly Virgil were made for each other.

Topher

Cipher
Arcanum is probably the must fun I've ever had creating, upgrading and equipping a character and that went a long way toward helping me ignore the games flaws.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Topher said:
Arcanum is probably the must fun I've ever had creating, upgrading and equipping a character and that went a long way toward helping me ignore the games flaws.

That + the multitude of ways you could approach any given problem, with the exception of maybe them dumb dungeons which actually stop being retarded and get pretty neat once you wrap your head around the game's mechanics.

I actually found them annoying on my first playthrough - when I could not figure out a way how to make my character build cope with 'em ('twas not an especially efficient build, either) but when I replay it now from time to time I actually find them dungeons pretty amusing.

I enjoyed Vendigroth and all the little details of its history, but only after I learned to use my character in a way that did not make me rage out at the goddamn dungeon.

The NPC AI is retarded though. No question in that.

And Virgin does grow a spine after you show him some tough Arcanal love. :smug: He can also become a sorta faggy stoic if you treat him in a virginal way.

Johannes

Arcane
RK47 said:
:( I can't defend troika on this. None of the combat encounters are memorable. And the dungeons are rage inducing to be honest.

But only Black Mountain and Vendrigoth are forced on you. The rest are optional with the proper persuasion checks to bypass a few.
Vendigroth can be avoided. And BMC, I remember just running through that passage full of monsters while quaffing healing herbs or whatever, since my gunman was too shit at dealing with the golem. Then I came out by using that scroll which makes you exit the dungeon. Had to leave my partymembers behind, it was an interesting situation to be in the lower level of BMC with your low level twat, trying to survive and pick best loot.
Most fun I had with Arcanum was probably sneaking around, where you had to use skills, spells, in a creative way to get away smoothly.

Eyeball

Arcane
I will never, ever, ever come to understand the Codex. One day it's all Arcanum dicksucking all day long, the next it's lolbanalshitboring.

Anyway, Arcanum is in the top 3 of RPGs, the others being obviously PST and FO2. It has a great setting, interesting character system, fun historical references, a beautiful soundtrack and shitty combat that can nevertheless be won by your companions most of the time without you having to bother with it anyway.

mondblut

Arcane
Well, unlike biowaffle, they could actually produce some fine gameplay when told to shut up, stuff their messianic delusions up theirs and just make a generic D&D game the way they were being made for the past 15 years, i.e. properly.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
mondblut said:
Well, unlike biowaffle, they could actually produce some fine gameplay when told to shut up, stuff their messianic delusions up theirs and just make a generic D&D game the way they were being made for the past 15 years, i.e. properly.

Yet it didn't sell. :( I dunno, it seems they can hardly hit that sweet spot of balance between gameplay and story. Arcanum was a mess from the start. The setting and writing alone saved it from being completely ignored by today's community. Unlike Interplay's biggest disaster - Lionheart.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Very overrated and utterly broken game with loads of potential and a great idea for setting.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Re: First Arcanum playthrough... unimpressed :shrug:

Severian Silk said:
I completed my first Arcanum playthrough, and have to say it didn't live up to expectations set by others here.

Yes the game has CHOICESANDCONSEQUENCES. But the game world is pretty small, and there's really not a whole lot going on or a lot of people to talk to. So all the dialog options and whatnot seem somewhat wasted. I mean, the game's scope never felt like it grew beyond that of a theme park with a handful of set locations. Definitely not a fleshed-out, living and breathing world. Maybe a few more continents and a couple more chapters and/or plot twists would have helped.
:what:

I'd argue the opposite - that Arcanum was too big for its own good, especially that you can't reach locations like Caledon until late in the game, which means that often one won't see them at all before getting bored with it.
The size and length of Fallout 1 would be perfect for it.

RK47 said:
mondblut said:

Yet it didn't sell. :(
I remember someone from former Troika claiming that ToEE was their best-selling game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
PrzeSzkoda said:
Topher said:

That + the multitude of ways you could approach any given problem, with the exception of maybe them dumb dungeons.

Eyeball said:
I will never, ever, ever come to understand the Codex. One day it's all Arcanum dicksucking all day long, the next it's lolbanalshitboring.

Yes, it's almost as if different people are posting each time

Quilty said:
This entire thread:
Male21.jpg

you bros better be trollin

Improved.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
ghostdog said:
PrzeSzkoda said:
Topher said:

That + the multitude of ways you could approach any given problem, with the exception of maybe them dumb dungeons.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
First The Witcher 2 is a hardcore RPG, and now this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom