Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Arcanum playthrough... disappointed :shrug:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Exactly, we're waisting time talking about the dated Arcanum while we could be discussing all those wonderful recent RPGs. Arcanum may have had some good ideas, but today's cRPGs are so much better. Visceral combat, radial AI , button of awesome... and most of all, no missing schools of magic. I was so mad about that damn school.

Let's face it, the competition today is just too fierce.

Marobug

FluffyWolf said:
Arcanum was great 10 years ago (apart from the forced release filled with bugs and the obvious signs that parts and quests were removed before being finished, such as the missing school of magick).

Presently it doesn't have the capacity to stand up to the competition. Duh.

How many actually good RPGs released after arcanum can you count ?

Anyway, the first 15/20 minutes of arcanum are rather boring imo but the game grows on you and gets interesting rather quickly. Plus the setting is awesome.

Esquilax

Arcane
Percolator Fish said:
Wow the codex has even turned on Arcanum now. Never expected it could become this goddamn crazy.

Well, fuck me, a few people have dissenting opinions, who'd have thought?

I really respect Arcanum for its incredible ambitions, a setting that is lovingly crafted, a great character system, and some well-designed quests among a lot of filler, but that doesn't mean that I found the game fun. You could have a game that sounds awesome on paper, yet playing it might not be an enjoyable experience, it's not exactly an absurd notion. Besides, most folks on the Codex still love Arcanum; it's consistently on the top 3 whenever polls are conducted.

I understand why some people like it or even love it, but for me, the lack of enjoyment came down to having to suffer through mobs of monsters to get to the good stuff. For example, I discovered this spooky dungeon filled with Undead and I found a sentient skeleton who I discovered to be Torian Kel. There was an AWESOME conversation with the guy, but I found it difficult to enjoy seeing as I had to take trips back and forth for healing supplies (I hadn't met Jayna yet) and had to face a lot of pointless combat to get to it. Combined with the fact that my tech guy could only survive with a ton of molotovs/grenades at any given moment because of the 0AP bug, and that meant I found combat areas tedious.

If you can tolerate the combat, then I can see why you'd love it. I unfortunately, could not. I ragequit during the Master Gambler training quest where it seemed like the dwarf dude who you'd gamble against would never give you Master certification no matter how many times you'd beat him.

Another annoyance was the mana/fatigue bar. I know the Life/Mana/Fatigue convention is boring, but it's still way fucking better than fainting during combat.

baronjohn

Cipher
Esquilax said:
but I found it difficult to enjoy seeing as I had to take trips back and forth for healing supplies (I hadn't met Jayna yet) and had to face a lot of pointless combat to get to it. Combined with the fact that my tech guy could only survive with a ton of molotovs/grenades at any given moment because of the 0AP bug, and that meant I found combat areas tedious.
1healingsalve.jpg

2balancedsword.jpg

So this all comes down to the fact that Arcanum doesn't scale to your level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom